Air Canada BUS class

LHT28

We also travel "together'.

But what is the problem with having a functional partition (meaning, when "up", it does provide privacy) that can be lowered.

Are the "non-companions" really lowering those partitions so frequently as to annoy the other person?

:confused:

GC

Agree....the option would be nice....but sadly that isn't something that's going to be taken into consideration. I guess it'll come to a point someday when we are just going to be sealed in tubes :eek:

OMG

It looked like the partition was an afterthought on the A/C flight

I wish I had taken a photo

But it would have been nice to be able to speak with DH without one of us having to play jack in the box

Found a photo of the partition they could have made it so it could be lowered for those that want the option

Air-CanadaB787_Business_1-1024x819.jpeg

To each his/her own

We survived

Edited by LHT28

they could have made it so it could be lowered for those that want the option

I guess you're an engineer with a specialization in aircraft cabin design and construction. Would love to know your economical and reliable "solution". (And that reliable part is huge -- major customer satisfaction issue when it doesn't work)

Too bad Zach isn't here to contribute to this discussion.

Found a photo of the partition they could have made it so it could be lowered for those that want the option

I think you may be underestimating the costs involved on aircraft interiors. I knew someone a few years ago that worked for a company that specialized in maintenance and servicing of private jets, handling aircraft from those for 2 passengers up to Gulfstream 550s. I learned that to install an equivalent piece of "furniture" to an aircraft versus one you'd have in your home, the cost (ignoring testing, labour for installation etc.) is something like 30x more for an aircraft. It needs to be built to withstand G-Forces way beyond what the aircraft can handle, plus there are considerations such as flammability, weight, etc. etc. That "30x" factor would increase even further for something that is motorized such as a seat divider.

I recall reading that the first class seats that BA started installing on their aircraft in the mid to late 1990s cost about £300,000 each back then.

OMG

It looked like the partition was an afterthought on the A/C flight

I wish I had taken a photo

But it would have been nice to be able to speak with DH without one of us having to play jack in the box

Air-CanadaB787_Business_1-1024x819.jpeg

To each his/her own

We survived

Agree with you...it does look like it would have an option and some leisure travelers might have thought so...thanks for posting the picture and confirming it doesn't lower.

I guess you're an engineer with a specialization in aircraft cabin design and construction. Would love to know your economical and reliable "solution". (And that reliable part is huge -- major customer satisfaction issue when it doesn't work)

Too bad Zach isn't here to contribute to this discussion.

Really harsh and absolutely unnecessary comment by you...You can at times be so helpful...I guess this isn't one of those times....Have a nice day :D

I think you may be underestimating the costs involved on aircraft interiors. I knew someone a few years ago that worked for a company that specialized in maintenance and servicing of private jets, handling aircraft from those for 2 passengers up to Gulfstream 550s. I learned that to install an equivalent piece of "furniture" to an aircraft versus one you'd have in your home, the cost (ignoring testing, labour for installation etc.) is something like 30x more for an aircraft. It needs to be built to withstand G-Forces way beyond what the aircraft can handle, plus there are considerations such as flammability, weight, etc. etc. That "30x" factor would increase even further for something that is motorized such as a seat divider.

as I said to each his/her own

I am not going to worry about it

Just my opinion on what would have made the flight more enjoyable

some people actually like to speak to their spouse on long flights

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

Just had to add my two cents on this topic. We book Business Class w/lay flat seats because we want to have hours of rest and relaxation on those long overseas flights on the way to and from vacay. By the time we get on the aircraft, and throughout our vacation (just two old married people) we will get more time together than normal. We both enjoy the time to read, watch movies on our private monitor, nap, just unplug from the normal everyday chaos. If we needed socialization we would book less private seating. I love the privacy of business class pods.

Just had to add my two cents on this topic. We book Business Class w/lay flat seats because we want to have hours of rest and relaxation on those long overseas flights on the way to and from vacay. By the time we get on the aircraft, and throughout our vacation (just two old married people) we will get more time together than normal. We both enjoy the time to read, watch movies on our private monitor, nap, just unplug from the normal everyday chaos. If we needed socialization we would book less private seating. I love the privacy of business class pods.

Totally agree. We have had some pods where the partition is movable which does allow some face-to-face contact. But we both enjoy a few hours of privacy, reading and sleeping. The partition is not a deal breaker or maker for us and not even a consideration when we book.

Hank

Yes we are two old married people also (48 yrs) but hey I still like to talk to the old guy

YMMV

It is not a deal breaker to have the panel movable it was just a comment that it would have been nice

personal choice on my part

Yes we are two old married people also (48 yrs) but hey I still like to talk to the old guy

YMMV

It is not a deal breaker to have the panel movable it was just a comment that it would have been nice

personal choice on my part

We are also "two old married people" who like to be together, more rather than less.

We much prefer being able to see each other on a plane, speak on and off, etc.

And you'll likely find us on a cruise together, although DH does occasionally like to wander around, often in search of a coffee product :)

We also very much enjoy dining together, although it's also nice to sit with others sometimes.

We just still enjoy each other's company very much!

Our future "airline goal" is to experience the new Singapore Suites "double". (The older version would be fine, too.)

We are working on a way to get a flight like that with awards, someplace we already want to go.

Getting a photo of that would be... priceless!

GC

We are also "two old married people" who like to be together, more rather than less.

We much prefer being able to see each other on a plane, speak on and off, etc.

GC

Glad we are not the only ones that enjoy being together :)

On our flight there were more couples than single flyers in the BUS class section ...