Is there any easy way to find out where a preceding flight is originating?

buggins0402

DL is expecting disruptions in and out of NYC the next few days. We received an email from DL offering

a free change of flight. Our current flight is Sunday 3:50, which seems to be after the worst of the weather. However, I did find out from a DL agent the plane is supposed to come in from LGA.

I was thinking of going through some later flight choices and looking for something that originates outside the mess. Are there any good websites for this information...or is this an exercise in futility?

DL is expecting disruptions in and out of NYC the next few days. We received an email from DL offering

a free change of flight. Our current flight is Sunday 3:50, which seems to be after the worst of the weather. However, I did find out from a DL agent the plane is supposed to come in from LGA.

I was thinking of going through some later flight choices and looking for something that originates outside the mess. Are there any good websites for this information...or is this an exercise in futility?

I use the Flightview website (obsessively). When you get the status of the flight number you are on, it usually shows the incoming flight that precedes it (earlier leg in some cases). Enter your flight for today (if it operates) and see what's there.

But airlines will also switch things around at the last minute depending on delays, traffic in general, etc. I think United also provides the info on their site.

LaGuardia flight times are generally padded; delays are routine.

What's your flight number? One of us know-it-alls can look it up for you.

And once one of us know it alls looks it up and posts it for you Delta might well change it, especially if you are flying out of one of their hubs....

Yeah, posting it here well make that happen. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You are so right. Less information is power.

Sounds like DAL is trying to be proactive knowing that weather is going to be a problem. Perhaps they suggested alternate flights? It’s not just the aircraft you have to worry about but the crew also. There is no guarantee that the crew on the incoming flight will also fly your flight. Also, JFK is a Delta hub so that fact could complicate things too.

Good luck-hope it all works out for you.

What's your flight number? One of us know-it-alls can look it up for you.

Thanks, I already know the flight preceding mine to LGA originates at LGA also (DL2248). My thought this morning was to check the later flights for one not coming from NYC, to either move off to or suggest if ours is cancelled.

But, I have been using your tracker and it seems things aren’t going that poorly at LGA and today was supposed to be the worst day for the storms. I’ve never had DL offer a free change...so I panicked. We are on a ship that won’t hit a foreign port for 5 days (Halifax). Ship doesn’t leave until Sunday so they’ll have two days to accommodate us.

Reading the weather tea leaves proved to be no help in picking a flight to move to....the thunderstorms are hit and miss for the next few days and schedule will probably get more screwed up as this weather system continues.

If they have a delay somewhere and an aircraft sitting on the ground they will change the aircraft assignments to minimize the delays. Bad weather will cause this happen. Don't be surprised if it all changes.

I’ve never had DL offer a free change...so I panicked.

Then you've never had a Delta schedule change of an hour or more, and/or you've never been booked on a flight for which Delta issued a weather waiver. Both situations warrant a free change, depending on flight/seat availability, but you often need to be proactive and ASK them for it.

Thanks, I already know the flight preceding mine to LGA originates at LGA also (DL2248). My thought this morning was to check the later flights for one not coming from NYC, to either move off to or suggest if ours is cancelled.

Today's weather where I am in the northeast is considerably nicer than yesterday, when we had some big-time boomer come through in a couple of waves. Hopefully it's a non-event and you enjoy your trip!

BTW, assuming there's no interruptions in schedules today (which is no different than any other day), here's a list of where your bird is flying:

DL 865 from DTW to LGA departs 10:00 am shows on time (plane arrived DTW last night)

DL 1145 from LGA to DTW departs 12:40 pm shows on time

DL 2248 from DTW to LGA departs 3:50 pm shows on time (leaves from gate A74 term EM)

Airbus A320