Do I need to buy a new carry on?

Janet-

We are flying Qatar Manchester - Doha - Narita in business. Qatar's carry on size is 50x37x25. Our carry on is 55x36x20.

Has anyone any experience with how rigid Qatar is with sizing.

What is your plan B if you arrive at the airport/gate with your current carry on and they tell you no? Airlines are often inconsistent in enforcing policies, so where someone else may have been allowed to carry on such a bag, you might be told no.

Any reason why you think the policy doesn't apply to you? If it doesn't fit their guidelines and it's critically important the items within said bag travel with you then buy a new bag.

If you're flying on that 1 day in 100 where they bother to check bags then it isn't of much consolation what happened on the other 99 days. Plus you're flying with a stop in each direction so four potential chances for your bag to be taken away.

In the last year I've had BA, an airline with a not very strict carry-on policy as they go, measure my (compliant) bag...in the hundreds of flights with them over the last 15yrs that had never happened before.

In short, comply with the rules and you can't go wrong.

Take some shopping bags with you in the event you have to mail your carry on home.

Mail it home??

Yep...just head over to the post office at MAN and slap some stamps on the handle.

And then use shopping bags, with the unsealed open top so everything spills out into the bins or floor.

:confused::confused::confused:

We are flying Qatar Manchester - Doha - Narita in business. Qatar's carry on size is 50x37x25. Our carry on is 55x36x20.

Flying in business there is probably two to three times as much bin space as in economy.

Here is the specific rules:

• First Class and Business Class customers are allowed to carry two pieces of baggage on board, not to exceed a total weight of 15kg (33lb)
  • Economy Class customers are allowed to carry one piece of baggage, not to exceed 7kg (15lb)
    For tickets issued in Brazil, Economy Class customers on flights to or from Brazil are allowed to carry one piece of baggage, not to exceed 10 kg (22lb)

Technically you have one bag but are permitted two. Slightly larger than allowed in one dimension. I would not worry about it.

Flying in business there is probably two to three times as much bin space as in economy.

Here is the specific rules:

• First Class and Business Class customers are allowed to carry two pieces of baggage on board, not to exceed a total weight of 15kg (33lb)
  • Economy Class customers are allowed to carry one piece of baggage, not to exceed 7kg (15lb)
    For tickets issued in Brazil, Economy Class customers on flights to or from Brazil are allowed to carry one piece of baggage, not to exceed 10 kg (22lb)

Technically you have one bag but are permitted two. Slightly larger than allowed in one dimension. I would not worry about it.

Yes, I think everyone is aware, or has the common sense to realise that each person has more bin space in business and first class but if it wasn't an issue then they wouldn't publish a size requirement. and 5cm out of line in one dimension isn't going to be something you can squeeze into a metal cage or one of those rigid sizer boxes if asked.

You could fly an airline hundreds of times with no issues on this but all it takes is one new and enthusiastic employee who wants to do their job correctly, or a new company initiative to have all bags measured at the gate for example and you're hosed.

I have a carry-on bag that I usually take everywhere with me and have done for 10yrs, for a flight a few weeks ago it was 2cm too big based on the airline's allowance. I was flying business/first class on all five flights on that trip but didn't want to risk the bag being taken away so it stayed at home.

Take some shopping bags with you in the event you have to mail your carry on home.

What?!

You would just check the bag and have it put under the plane with all the other bags.

To the OP 99% chance you are fine and have nothing to worry about, especially flying business class. Bring a duffle bag that you can fill up if they make you check the bag so you have a carry on bag.

• 3 weeks later...

I faced just this dilemma last year. Your problem is the length, as was mine. The total dimensions were OK, but the length of US carry-on luggage is around 21 - 22 inches, and many international airlines are 19 - 20.

If you decide to buy a new one, I got mine on ebags.com, and if you do a search on "international carry-on" you'll get the right ones.

The new airline game "Changing Luggage Size Requirements", coming soon to an airline near you is really aggravating.

Grrrr.

ONE airline we fly changed by a small amount. We had so carefully selected luggage to comply with all airlines we could even imagine flying...

So there is another piece of luggage (or two of 'em) now stored away.

It's just *not* worth worrying about "will they or won't they...?" and then have to juggle things so the critical things don't need to get checked.

Just the fretting, as exhibited by questions like this, isn't worth it. And one won't *really* know until the complete end of the trip. Each new flight brings a new and delightful stress!

Anything that makes air travel "less stressful" is good in our minds!

GC

You can afford to fly Business class, then treat yourself to a new carry on!