Getting Ready to Book

Kclock

Hello! I am getting ready to book my very first cruise! I have traveled the internet and I have read a lot of reviews and tips, but frankly the moment I do, I change my mind. Then I read another, and I can hardly wait to board. Perhaps I am seeing too many opinions? My plan is to travel from Boston to Bermuda in 2019. There are two lines that make that trip, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. We are a couple of 40-somethings who are probably going to want to relax with a cool drink during the day on a cruise more than anything and see some shows or listen to music in the evening.

I have a couple of questions; if someone can guide me, I would be grateful. Does anyone have an opinion of which line would be better for a relaxing trip? A couple of reviews I read complained about reserving deck chairs, crowded conditions, etc.:o Is that every where on-board or just near the pool? Will we be able to just find spots to just be? Also, some of the tips I read were all about reserve early for shows, movies, tables, etc. How early is early? And, are the lines for everything really as long as I have read (drinks, lunch, dinner)?

Finally, I looked up fares for both on their individual websites, but my concern is that I will miss something that I should have done in advance, so I haven't taken the plunge quite yet. I just want to make everything as easy as possible without a lot of unexpected expenses that I was not counting on at the end. Should I do all of that through a travel agent, just to be safe? Thanks for any help you can give. I am very sorry if these are repetitive questions.

... Also, some of the tips I read were all about reserve early for shows, movies, tables, etc. ...

Royal Caribbean does not have show or movie reservations on cruises from Boston to Bermuda. Those would be first come, first served.

We can always find a less busy place to relax on deck; we'd prefer not to be by the pool, actually.

I research both on the cruise line's website and with travel agents. We usually find a better deal by using a travel agent. Prices may be similar, but TA's can add perks and in some cases %'s off as well.

Maybe you just need to pick on and book it. Assuming you are in the US or Canada, as long as you book a refundable deposit, you can cancel any time before final payment date and get all of your money back. So you can relax knowing that if you find something you really, really like better, you can cancel the first and book the second. Some people make multiple reservations knowing they can cancel all but one when final payment date arrives. (Isuspect this is why some lines are going to non-refundable deposits). EM

Hello! I am getting ready to book my very first cruise! I have traveled the internet and I have read a lot of reviews and tips, but frankly the moment I do, I change my mind. Then I read another, and I can hardly wait to board. Perhaps I am seeing too many opinions? My plan is to travel from Boston to Bermuda in 2019. There are two lines that make that trip, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. We are a couple of 40-somethings who are probably going to want to relax with a cool drink during the day on a cruise more than anything and see some shows or listen to music in the evening.

I have a couple of questions; if someone can guide me, I would be grateful. Does anyone have an opinion of which line would be better for a relaxing trip? A couple of reviews I read complained about reserving deck chairs, crowded conditions, etc.:o Is that every where on-board or just near the pool? Will we be able to just find spots to just be? Also, some of the tips I read were all about reserve early for shows, movies, tables, etc. How early is early? And, are the lines for everything really as long as I have read (drinks, lunch, dinner)?

Finally, I looked up fares for both on their individual websites, but my concern is that I will miss something that I should have done in advance, so I haven't taken the plunge quite yet. I just want to make everything as easy as possible without a lot of unexpected expenses that I was not counting on at the end. Should I do all of that through a travel agent, just to be safe? Thanks for any help you can give. I am very sorry if these are repetitive questions.

This might, in fact, be another good reason to engage a travel agent. Yes, there are additional expenses. For example there are port fees, taxes and automatic gratuities. These are not "make or break" factors, but it sounds like you want awareness. A competent travel agent will provide accurate information on these. Similarly, a travel agent should be able to give you good guidance on estimated costs for excursions and other possible on-board expenses.

One thing I have observed from all the cruise lines I have used, is that once you do get to the port, as long as all your documentation is in order (another possible helpful benefit of engaging a travel agent), they do make it easy for you.

Here is a suggestion that will not cost anything. Once you have booked your cruise, log on to the Cruise Critic Roll Call for that cruise. Roll Call is a separate Cruise Critic forum where each thread is dedicated to one specific cruise. So, let's say you decide to book the Royal Caribbean Cruise on, say, Anthem of the Sea, departing on June 19, 2019. Go to the Royal Caribbean sub-forum on the Roll Call forum and look for the thread for the June 29, 2019 cruise. Jump onto it and introduce yourself. Theoretically, every participant on that thread is going to be on the same cruise with you. Many of them will be long-time Royal Caribbean cruisers. Many of them will have sailed, previously, on the same ship. Many of them will have previously sailed the same itinerary. They will be eager to share their knowledge with you. That will provide you with a lot more confidence.

You need to compare the ships. I believe the Gem is moving to Boston for Bermuda for the first time next year so it’s going to be a little difficult for a direct comparison. If Freestyle cruising with a variety of different types of restaurants appeal to you then NCL should be your choice. BUT you want to get a deal on specialty restaurants and drink packages too. You shouldn’t book until you find out about these packages.

This might, in fact, be another good reason to engage a travel agent. Yes, there are additional expenses. For example there are port fees, taxes and automatic gratuities. These are not "make or break" factors, but it sounds like you want awareness. A competent travel agent will provide accurate information on these. Similarly, a travel agent should be able to give you good guidance on estimated costs for excursions and other possible on-board expenses.

One thing I have observed from all the cruise lines I have used, is that once you do get to the port, as long as all your documentation is in order (another possible helpful benefit of engaging a travel agent), they do make it easy for you.

Here is a suggestion that will not cost anything. Once you have booked your cruise, log on to the Cruise Critic Roll Call for that cruise. Roll Call is a separate Cruise Critic forum where each thread is dedicated to one specific cruise. So, let's say you decide to book the Royal Caribbean Cruise on, say, Anthem of the Sea, departing on June 19, 2019. Go to the Royal Caribbean sub-forum on the Roll Call forum and look for the thread for the June 29, 2019 cruise. Jump onto it and introduce yourself. Theoretically, every participant on that thread is going to be on the same cruise with you. Many of them will be long-time Royal Caribbean cruisers. Many of them will have sailed, previously, on the same ship. Many of them will have previously sailed the same itinerary. They will be eager to share their knowledge with you. That will provide you with a lot more confidence.

Yes, that's it exactly. I do not want to miss something that I was supposed to take care of before-hand and did not. Such as tipping. I see you can prepay that, does that include everyone? Should I tip more? So, a travel agent it will be. Many thanks for your reply.

You need to compare the ships. I believe the Gem is moving to Boston for Bermuda for the first time next year so it’s going to be a little difficult for a direct comparison. If Freestyle cruising with a variety of different types of restaurants appeal to you then NCL should be your choice. BUT you want to get a deal on specialty restaurants and drink packages too. You shouldn’t book until you find out about these packages.

Thank you! I will look into it.

As far as Bermuda goes, it's a VERY EASY DIY place, so you don't need to spend money on "excursions"! Do a bit of research on Bermuda....either google or a guidebook, so you'll have an idea of what you'd like to do ashore, and a guidebook will tell you how....or hop on the "port of call" boards and click on Bermuda...tons of info!

We can always find a less busy place to relax on deck; we'd prefer not to be by the pool, actually.

I research both on the cruise line's website and with travel agents. We usually find a better deal by using a travel agent. Prices may be similar, but TA's can add perks and in some cases %'s off as well.

Great! Thanks for the tip!

As far as Bermuda goes, it's a VERY EASY DIY place, so you don't need to spend money on "excursions"! Do a bit of research on Bermuda....either google or a guidebook, so you'll have an idea of what you'd like to do ashore, and a guidebook will tell you how....or hop on the "port of call" boards and click on Bermuda...tons of info!

Wonderful! I hadn't even thought that far ahead about what were absolute must-dos while we were there. Its a beautiful place.

Maybe you just need to pick on and book it. Assuming you are in the US or Canada, as long as you book a refundable deposit, you can cancel any time before final payment date and get all of your money back. So you can relax knowing that if you find something you really, really like better, you can cancel the first and book the second. Some people make multiple reservations knowing they can cancel all but one when final payment date arrives. (Isuspect this is why some lines are going to non-refundable deposits). EM

That sounds reasonable. Thank you. Yes, I am an American.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Keep asking those questions. A bunch of us have been there and probably done that.

You might want to consider a bus pass on the island. You ride around with the local and get on and off as you wish. I recall that Karen was thrilled with the Perfumery while we were there. We were there when the schools were in session and lots of kids rode the public bus; we had some great conversations with them.

You cannot go wrong with Bermuda.

Jim

Thank you! We booked Norwegian. Looking forward to a LONG overdue vacation in 2019!

That's great! Have fun.

Now you can direct your attention to the Norwegian message board with specific questions. Everything has been discussed before so just settle in and read the threads and make your notes. You can use the Search function on that board to look up anything specific. As well, there should be a "Roll Call" started for your specific cruise; this is a group of some of the people who are cruising with you. There, you can make plans to share cabs or tours, and just chat with others before boarding the ship.

Here are those links:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107 <--click here, Norwegian Cruise Line board

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110 <-- click here to start finding your Roll Call