Cruise vs All Inclusive Land Vacations - Pros and Cons

tbmrt

Every year we compare the benefits and cost of going on a warm weather cruise (avid snorkelers) vs. taking an all inclusive vacation. Cruising always wins due to the ease of getting on a ship from our FL home, avoiding airline waits and the cost when we compared a cruise ship balcony to an all-inclusive resort.

Thought it would be interesting to read other CC members' thoughts on this.

We are avid snorkelers also. But we live near Toronto so we have to fly to South Florida, or drive for 24 hours for a cruise. :(

I was just pricing out some options yesterday and a cruise will cost us $3,000+ CDN each (cruise, flight, hotel and extras) while an AI at a 4 star resort will be $1,800 to $2,200 each. Now, the $1,800 option is for Cuba which most of our American friends do not have access too yet but they do have great beaches and snorkeling. The downside is that the food is not as good vs. a cruise. The other options are equal to a mainstream cruises in food quality and service, have great beaches and snorkeling, but you don't wake up in a different place each morning. :( But we will wake up with an extra couple of $ grand in our pockets when we get home! :D

We are leaning towards an AI this winter.

Edited by DirtyDawg

I'm going to be watching this thread closely because I love cruising but my wife will not set foot on a ship (seasickness, norovirus concerns, etc). I really want to know what perks a land resort has over cruising.

That said, my favorite thing about cruising is the people. In a resort, i'd imagine people come and go as they please. On a cruise, everyone just started their vacation at the same time and nobody knows anyone outside of who they came with. This means nobody is sticking to their "clique" and are willing to go out of their comfort zone to socialize. It's like being in college all over again. I don't feel like a land resort would have the same kind of environment.

We do not live near Florida or Ca.

Right now we are thinking of a quick trip south in early Dec. The choices would be an AI or perhaps a 10 cruise from FLL/MIA. It will be a late booking in either case.

The advantage of an AI for us is that it includes air. So we can book the AI, and leave 2 days later for a week in Cuba, Mexico, Domincan, etc. We are in fact looking at a few cruises the embark from San Juan. Not certain what we will do.

I guess for us it comes down to the AI, the ship, and the ease of booking. Last year an AI in Puerto Vallarta came up. One phone call and we were on the plane two days later. It is so easy compared to arranging for flights and pre cruise hotels,

If we take a cruise from FLL/MIA it involves a full day of travel, including a change of plane. We will leave our home in the early morning and arrive in Florida anywhere between 7PM and 11PM. IF we do an AI to Mexico or Cuba it is one flight, five hours, six hours, and it is done. No connections required.

We like doing both.

Edited by iancal