All Things Avalon

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:24 AM.
Rochester, NY
247 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by JVilleGal
These are generally left over seats and Avalon has zero control. Don’t plan on good connections but insist you leave the US 3 days before sailing so that any weather or airline screw ups can be over come and you will make the sailing.
This same advice applies for flights booked yourself. You fly out today and get there tomorrow (hopefully)
Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected. Free air is appealing, but I don't think the uncertainty is worth it. Living in Western NY we can get direct flights out of Toronto at a great price as long as the USD/CAD exchange rate is favorable. We usually do spend a few days on our own before the cruise to get used to the time change so we're awake and ready to enjoy the cruise. Plus give us some time in case there are any flight delays!
Pacific North West
4,396 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
But I loved my Avalon cruise, ask for a credit against your cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Regent Navigator May 30, 2019 Amsterdam to Southampton!
Ontario, Canada
2,827 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by KathyK13
Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected. Free air is appealing, but I don't think the uncertainty is worth it. Living in Western NY we can get direct flights out of Toronto at a great price as long as the USD/CAD exchange rate is favorable. We usually do spend a few days on our own before the cruise to get used to the time change so we're awake and ready to enjoy the cruise. Plus give us some time in case there are any flight delays!
Originally posted by JVilleGal
But I loved my Avalon cruise, ask for a credit against your cruise!
Ask which air lines they are using - and what the routing is. Last year, Avalon was offering free air on our Flanders Fields tour - but they were using Iceland air, and there was an 8+ hour layover in Iceland. I said "no thanks" - and said I would take a discount on the cruise. I found the flights I wanted, and had my TA call to see what Avalon could get them for (so that I would get the included transfers...). Avalon said if I would pay the difference between their cost for the "free" air, and what the flight was on my preferred air line (Air Canada) - that they would consider that the incentive. We said OK - depending on the cost... We ended up paying $275 pp for our air. Was very pleased with how willing Avalon was to work with us on this.

Fran
Denver, CO
36 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Definitely use a good travel agent that will call in and compare schedules for you. Like Franksi said... It's not a take it or leave it deal. The completely free air will usually have a long layover but there are typically upgrade options that are very minimal for a much better schedule. As for seat assignments... Look for united and delta without code shares (operated by another airline). It's getting harder and harder to predict when seat assignments will be available but a good travel agent will call in, have avalon drop flights onto the booking check if they show airport check in only and drop if they are and add new ones until they get what you're looking for. But avalon hasn't done a free air promo in a long while so jump on it fast!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Peru, IL, USA
172 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
I apologize for changing the subject but wanted to give Avalon a thumbs up for taking good care of it’s passangers. My wife and I left Amsterdam last Saturday on Imagery II. Rhine River Cruise. When the ship arrived in Cologne the captain had a meeting with all passengers to let us know that the ship could not go past Koblenz due Tuesday low water in Rhine gorge. We did not miss a castle or excursion because of great customer service by Avalon. Each passenger was given a credit and free optional excursion in Strasbourg. We were transferred to Tranquility II for last three days of the cruise. Avalon did a fantastic job handling the situation.

Dennis
Mississauga, ON Canada
83 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Travelw
I apologize for changing the subject but wanted to give Avalon a thumbs up for taking good care of it’s passangers. My wife and I left Amsterdam last Saturday on Imagery II. Rhine River Cruise. When the ship arrived in Cologne the captain had a meeting with all passengers to let us know that the ship could not go past Koblenz due Tuesday low water in Rhine gorge. We did not miss a castle or excursion because of great customer service by Avalon. Each passenger was given a credit and free optional excursion in Strasbourg. We were transferred to Tranquility II for last three days of the cruise. Avalon did a fantastic job handling the situation.

Dennis

So happy to hear that and that you took the time to post it. Reading all the positive feedback from everyone on how well Avalon has handled the low water situation has certainly helped us as we get ready to leave on our cruise 2 weeks today!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Sensation - 2009 Caribbean
MSC Splendida - 2010 Western Med
Carnival Glory - 2012 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Imagination - 2012 Key West, Cozumel
Carnival Legend - 2013 British Isles
Carnival Conquest - 2014 Caribbean
Celebrity Reflection - 2015 Eastern Med
Norwegian Escape - 2016 Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Reflection - 2017 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Splendor - 2016 New Years Cruise