Cell phone for a world cruise

After the 2017 WC we switched to T-Mobile. $50/line includes data and text almost anywhere in the world. Calls are $.20/minute. We are currently in Europe and are enjoying being connected with the world for no additional cost.

If you are now over 55, T Mobile has a new plan as of August 9.

Switching was so easy.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-one-unlimited-55

Kirk, did you put the global plan on for this trip? (Not sure if that is the right word for the plan)

If you read the fine print on the 55+ T Mobile plan, you must reside in the US and primarily use the US network. Extended international coverage is not allowed.

That is not what I have read nor was it mentioned to me during the phone calls I had with them and my visit to the T Mobile store.

I reside in the US and the plan stated that the international would not change.

Where is the small print? I really would appreciate seeing it as it might make a difference to me.

Thanks

I scrolled to the very bottom of the webpage listed above. Here's the text w/ their highlighting, not mine.

Limited-time offer; subject to change. Unlimited 55+ General Terms: Postpaid only.Max 2 voice lines. Participating retail locations (and for existing customers, telesales) only. Credit approval, deposit, and $25 SIM starter kit or, in stores & on customer service calls, $20 upgrade support charge may be required. Not eligible for Kickback, Insider Hookup or discounts. Capable device required for some features. U.S. roaming and on-network data allotments differ: includes 200MB roaming. Unlimited talk & text features for direct communications between 2 people; others (e.g., conference & chat lines, etc.) may cost extra. Not available for hotspots and some other data-first devices. Video streams at up to 1.5Mbps unless you have an HD Day Pass. Optimization may affect speed of video downloads; does not apply to video uploads. For best performance, leave any video streaming applications at their default automatic resolution setting. Tethering at max 3G. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming. For customers in the top 3% of data users (currently over 32GB per month), primary data usage must be on smartphone or tablet. Smartphone and tablet usage is prioritized over Mobile Hotspot Service (tethering) usage, which may result in higher speeds for data used on smartphones and tablets. AutoPay Pricing: Without AutoPay, $5 more/line. May not be reflected on 1st bill. Simple Global: Usage may be taxed in some countries. Calls from Simple Global countries over Wi-Fi are $.20/min. (no charge for Wi-Fi calls to US, Mexico and Canada). Standard speeds approx. 128Kbps. Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our network. Device must register on our network before international use. Gogo: on U.S.-based airlines; Wi-Fi Calling functionality, valid e911 address, & 1 prior Wi-Fi call w/ current SIM card req’d for messaging. Coverage not available in some areas; we are not responsible for our partners’ networks. Network Management: Service may be slowed, suspended, terminated, or restricted for misuse, abnormal use, interference with our network or ability to provide quality service to other users, or significant roaming. See T-Mobile.com/OpenInternet for data management details.

SanDiego1,

Thanks.

I have been in contact with T mobile and I am keeping all the correspondence from them to re assure me.

I guess everyone has to do what works best for them.

We will stick with the T Mobile 55+ plan. They have assured me that I will not have a problem with the length of time we will be abroad.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are now over 55, T Mobile has a new plan as of August 9.

Switching was so easy.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-one-unlimited-55

Kirk, did you put the global plan on for this trip? (Not sure if that is the right word for the plan)

That is cheap, but I am afraid to switch my T Mobile plain.

• 4 months later...

Thinking of switching to T-Mobile but we're worried about coverage in the US. We also travel in an RV, sometimes up to 6 months. We get good coverage with Verizon but there are places we get no coverage at all -- not complaining -- we're OK with that from time to time. We just moved and get poor coverage in our home -- I'm not OK with that.

For those of you with T-Mobile, how is coverage traveling in the US?

Thinking of switching to T-Mobile but we're worried about coverage in the US. We also travel in an RV, sometimes up to 6 months. We get good coverage with Verizon but there are places we get no coverage at all -- not complaining -- we're OK with that from time to time. We just moved and get poor coverage in our home -- I'm not OK with that.

A cell phone tower booster might help

We live and travel in a motorhome. Switched to T-Mobile last year and it worked very well everywhere we went overseas last summer/fall ... in Europe (friends had internet all through our RTW last year). We’ve been in TX in the motorhome since then and around Houston no problems. A few dead spots on a roadtrip to northern AL, but mostly good. Heading to WA by way of TX, AZ, NV, CA, OR later this year, so we’ll see how it works along the way. We also have a cruise to AK in June ... coverage maps look good for Juneau and Ketchikan, but not great of Skagway ... then again, Skagway has signal issues with all the carriers from what I understand. We’ll have a chance to test in Canada as we plan to drive through BC to the Yukon Territory from Skagway.

P.S. We do have a cell signal booster on the car and the motorhome for 3G which we will turn on during our road trip for non-LTE areas.

P.P.S. I’ll try to remember to post back here as to our experience. If I have not, post here again and that will make this thread pop up on my Control Panel and remind me to do so.

• 2 months later...

Testing Results for Tmobile - Oceania to Japan

This series of cruises did Australia (Sydney, Hobart, Port Arthur, Melbourne, Darwin), New Zealand (Auckland, Tauranga, Christchurch, Wellington, Dunedin, Napier), Kota Kinabalu, Phu My and Nha Trang, Hong Kong, and then Osaka, Shimizu and Tokyo/Yokohama.

The T-Mobile 55+ account with the $10 ONE plus add-on (for each of us) has kept us in data, albeit at 256kB/sec, free texts and $0.20 per minute calls, for the entire trip- except in Vietnam, which was expected.

The data rate is not fast but sufficient for Google maps, without which we would be lost – basic email, Facebook and even still photo connections to the security cameras at home.

Not bad considering the more expensive alternatives.

The T-Mobile 55+ account with the $10 ONE plus add-on (for each of us) has kept us in data, albeit at 256kB/sec, free texts and $0.20 per minute calls, for the entire trip- except in Vietnam, which was expected.

Wonder if/how that will change with their merger with Sprint

Wonder if/how that will change with their merger with Sprint

That is the $26.5B question talking heads are trying to answer, but if history is any guide, all the speculation will be wrong when the merger is complete in 2-3 years...

Has anyone hooked up a surface to T Mobile?

I use my surface 3 with my T-Mobile hotspot. In the US, its fine. Overseas, the hotspot is active, but the 256kB/s throttling makes it pretty much useless for PC access.

Has anyone hooked up a surface to T Mobile?

I don't know about a surface, but I have T-Mobile on my iPad and it's working very well. I can use it to hotspot it to get internet on my laptop as necessary, and also to make phone calls to friends and family with the WePhone app.