Beside Myself with Anticipation

momzcruzing

Tho I have done about 50 cruises, I have never done a world cruise and I have never been on a Cunard Ship.

When I booked (the Queen Mary 2) for Jan of 2018 it seemed like a fantasy but I set about making all the necessary arrangements including buying formal dresses (I had disposed of all of mine in a recent move :eek:)

Now that almost every visa is secured, insurance policy paid up, and details of house, pups & car attended to, I am more wound up than a 5 year old anticipating Christmas morning! I think my friends & family must be weary of hearing me talk endlessly about my upcoming adventure & packing challenges.

I know the Christmas season will be a welcome diversion and I have lots of Grandkiddos to spoil, but honestly how are the rest of you coping with the anticipation of what will probably be the "Voyage of a Lifetime?"

• Haha 1

"...but honestly how are the rest of you coping with the anticipation of what will probably be the "Voyage of a Lifetime?"

Don't be so sure!:D When I started planning my 2014 WV I wrote down the ships, itineraries, prices, days, etc. When I was done I decided to splurge on a balcony and wrote in my notes, "How many times will I go around the world?" Turns out that world voyage was the start of an addiction. I leave on my second WV in January (and hopefully there will be more).

I hope you enjoy QM2 and the cruise exceeds your expectations.

Thanks, Keith. I too will try and be mindful and in the present not thinking about what the NEXT day will bring. Right now my mind is a muddle of details and the planning is beginning to blur the ports we will be visiting. Hopefully once we settle into the rhythms of ship life all will be fine.

Wishing you an absolutely wonderful time.

A world cruise is an amazing experience.

Enjoy each day.

Smell the roses meaning take it a minute at a time.

Keith

Keith,

Will you and Anne Marie be doing 2018 WC? Your blog is one of my all-time favorites and I would love to follow your adventures again :)

Momzcruzing, we, too are totally excited, nervous, worried, and boring our family with our concerns! It's our first WC, too (on HAL) and something that we said we'd never do...second time we've eaten our hats over "never say never." (First time was when we bought a motorhome..."never would drive something that big!"...and proceeded to move into it full-time for 7 years!) I agree...all the port research seems to be clogging my brain at this point...notes here and there, things in a large file to take, etc. Luggage gets picked up the 18th, but then we'll be free and clear until we board in Jan. Happy Sailing to you!

Keith,

Will you and Anne Marie be doing 2018 WC? Your blog is one of my all-time favorites and I would love to follow your adventures again :)

There are a number of others who will be on Crystals World Cruise(s) 2018 who will be blogging - I suggest you check out the Crystal thread in mid January to get links to them

Crystal will actually have two world cruises running in 2018 - both Serenity and Symphony - and in fact passengers can swap ships in Sydney in mid February and effectively that makes 4 full world cruise itinerary options

I fully understand your joyful anticipation of such a wonderful cruise on a simply magnificent vessel. QM2 has so much to offer. During such a long cruise as a World Cruise is, you ought to be able to experience her offerings to the fullest. (Tip: Be sure to check out the Library and the seats on either "wings" of the venue that overlook the ocean.)

As you have discovered, there are so many details that need to be determined and resolved prior to departure for such a long cruise, I would encourage you, once you have embarked and are in your stateroom, to take a seat on a couch/chair, take a deep breath, and think to yourself: "I am really here!"

Best wishes for a great cruise experience!

I have really enjoyed all of your replies and they keep me sane as I count down the days. By being on Cruise Critic every waking moment that is not busy with planning & Christmas, my friends are relieved of the burden of listening to my "cruise chatter."

I have memorized both Scrapnana's & Keith's blog (as well as several others) and am ready for the quiz! They are extremely helpful and each time thru I find another detail that I had previously overlooked. I have bought the "IT" luggage that I found out about thru Kathi's blog and am amazed at how light it is.... HUGE help. The 7 pounds gained per case will be a huge help! Many Thanks!

Keith & Ann Marie certainly set the bar high for remaining diligent with healthy exercising and eating for the duration of the voyage. They are my inspiration & I will think of them when I am tempted to skip my Pilates & walking routine in favor of breakfast in bed with a pastry (or two...:eek:)

Kathi has warned me twice on these boards now that this will almost surely not be my only World Voyage.. and her words ring loudly of the absolute truth!! Sigh! I mentioned it to my two pups and currently they are not speaking to me ;p.

On the opposite vein Jan mentions that their upcoming World Cruise was on their "something we'd never do list" which has had me chuckling for days... it was on mine too. I thought I'd miss the kids, grandkiddos, pups, friends, etc way to much. "A month is the perfect cruise" was my motto. Chewing up those words as I type!

As several of you posted the details, (especially with Christmas mixed in) has my head spinning and I have a "To-Do" list that looks like one used by a bride prior to the wedding. (A month before page... a week before page.. 5 days before, etc..) I sat myself down and admitted that I may forget a few things and the world will go on just fine.

Finally as most of you have posted, with all this hectic preparation & anticipation be sure to relax and enjoy...trust me, that is at the top of my list!! And thank you for the reminders, I am to type not to miss a single lecture, show, needlework group, etc. I could kill my self on relaxing days at sea!! I have vowed that when I get to my cabin I plan to close the door and just relax for as long as necessary (possibly days) before I emerge. I am not much of a drinker but I am sure that a glass of wine will be involved here!

I love sharing the anticipation with those of you who understand my excitement!

Many Thanks,

Martie

• 7 months later...

I am very excited. I have lots to do before we go. Today I got Bert’s passport renewal. I’ve book excursions. I ordered my GoPro. I’m starting a blog. This is as exciting as Santa bringing me a 3 speed bike when I was 8.