Probably a gormless question but....

Nope, just 4. I will pack a case full and see what happens at the airport.

With it being a maximum 23kg per case, why let people buy 25kg allowance, just make the allowance 23kg.

The rules might change by next year when we have left the EU and back to to the good old days of 30kg allowance per case.

Just make sure you are wearing a coat with big pockets ,even if the rules changed at this end if you are flying in to eu do you think they are going to accept heavier cases.

Nope, just 4. I will pack a case full and see what happens at the airport.

With it being a maximum 23kg per case, why let people buy 25kg allowance, just make the allowance 23kg.

The rules might change by next year when we have left the EU and back to to the good old days of 30kg allowance per case.

They let you buy 25kg because they make money on it ,its not for your convenience, think that extra 5kg is £15 , £3 a kg, bet the freight carriers wish they could get £3000 a tonne for airfreight

We flew Qatar from LHR a few months ago.We had 1 case each at 30kg.All baggage handlers are not employed by any airline.The 23kg is just a guideline for h&s,but they will take cases up to 32kg max.So no need to take multiple bags.The only exception on our trip was from Capetown to Livingstone where SA airways only allowed 2 x 23kg so we had to check in our hand luggage and bring a rucksack on plane,but that was Africa, not UK or EU.

Well, good luck with that. I checked and 23kg is the maximum the baggage handlers will accept. Elf & Safety and all that!

Just come back from Bangkok on Emirates - 30kg per passenger - 32kg max weight per item. Couple years ago went on same flight where wife overloaded case to 35kg and had to swap stuff between cases to get below 32kg and we were then checked in. Booked on Qatar for next March and same rules apply as Emirates for both B'ham and Heathrow. I think the 23Kg is a Thomson rule - 32Kg is the EU rule and if above 32Kg it has to go by cargo.

From the health and safety executive website

The load

This is one task parameter that it is difficult for the baggage handling organisation to control. Current industry recommendations in the IATA Airport Handling Manual are that the maximum weight of any single piece of checked baggage should not exceed 23kg (50lbs), without prior arrangement. Although this limit is widely accepted, some airlines will accept baggage up to 32kg, and some foreign carriers have even heavier weight limits.

It is also recommended in the IATA AHM that ”Heavy” tags/labels must be placed on all pieces of baggage which exceed 23kg with the actual weight shown on the tag/label and that baggage belts weigh scales at the passenger check in points should have an audible or visible warning when any individual bag weight exceeds 23kg.

Weight restriction and labelling are in the control of the airline and the check-in staff and weight limits are not always enforced. Where heavy bags which are not labelled are found, the airline should be approached to ensure that systems are put in place to ensure that any existing weight limits are implemented and that heavy bags are tagged.

From the health and safety executive website

The load

This is one task parameter that it is difficult for the baggage handling organisation to control. Current industry recommendations in the IATA Airport Handling Manual are that the maximum weight of any single piece of checked baggage should not exceed 23kg (50lbs), without prior arrangement. Although this limit is widely accepted, some airlines will accept baggage up to 32kg, and some foreign carriers have even heavier weight limits.

It is also recommended in the IATA AHM that ”Heavy” tags/labels must be placed on all pieces of baggage which exceed 23kg with the actual weight shown on the tag/label and that baggage belts weigh scales at the passenger check in points should have an audible or visible warning when any individual bag weight exceeds 23kg.

Weight restriction and labelling are in the control of the airline and the check-in staff and weight limits are not always enforced. Where heavy bags which are not labelled are found, the airline should be approached to ensure that systems are put in place to ensure that any existing weight limits are implemented and that heavy bags are tagged.

The moral being "check with the airline" as standards do vary - although I imagine for the airlines it would be for commercial reasons.

Hi,apologies everyone.I just looked at the website and 23kg is the max for 1 bag.Seems madness to me as Swissport is the handler and they handle bigger bags for other airlines.The only TUI employees are the guys on the ship as far as I know.Cheers,Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Did an Xmas/New Year B2B Caribbean cruise couple years back and paid for 1 x 5kg extra. Finally split it between the pay and no pay bags, got to airport and no drama barely checked and ditto in Jamaica on return was actually surprised. Luggage dealt with per party ...however may be different with destination. Booked another but travelling lighter now.

At Corfu, we weighed our cases before the airport with our digital scales, as did several people in the queue who were panicking. Anyway, ours weighed 22 and 23. When we checked the cases in, they were 17 and 18 according to the check in scales!

Sent from my iPad using Forums