WC in 2021

Aquadesiac

When our oldest daughter was little, she started telling us that when she was 5, we would take her to Disney World. Sure enough, she spoke that trip into existence and we celebrated her B-day with Micky.

Circumnavigating the globe has long been on my bucket list. My DH & I will celebrate our 50th anniversary in 2021, so I'm starting now to speak my world cruise into reality. :)

I have tons of questions. Really don't want to spend more than $100K total. Is that realistic? Which line is best for our interests and budget? (We love history, art & fine music. Not so big on scuba diving & bungee jumping.) How soon can I book a cruise that far out? What sort of payment schedule can we expect? Is it better to go with a more affordable Princess and pick our own excursions or try Viking where each port already has a jaunt chosen for us? Do you use a travel agent or deal directly with the cruise line?

Ok, that's enough for now. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Happy sailing,

Aquadesiac

103 Days Afloat & Counting...

Edited by Aquadesiac
need signature line

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

A World Voyage was #1 on my retirement bucket list. I took it about a year and a half after retiring. Unfortunately, no one told me they were addictive so I am now booked for my second.:D

You can do a world cruise for $100,000 but you will likely not be able to get the top of the line cabins although a balcony is doable on most mainstream lines (Cunard, HAL, Princess, P&O, Costa). Most lines will include the gratuities if booked far enough in advance.

Looking at the 2018 Viking World Cruise, it does sound like it has good value for money although the least expensive accommodation is at the top of your budget (I couldn't find if port fees were included in the published prices or if they were extra). Inclusion of drinks, excursions, internet, flights, and the medical services on board are definite positives.

One thing to keep in mind is insurance. My health insurance does not cover me outside of the US. I, therefore, purchase travel insurance that gives me at least $100,000 health coverage and also evacuation insurance. Depending on age, amount of coverage you already have and how much you choose to cover in the travel insurance, and cost of your cruise, insurance can easily add $10,000 to the cost of your cruise for the two of you.

Most of the mainstream lines publish their world cruises 15-18 months in advance. The more upscale lines usually publish 2-3 years in advance. So, you are not likely to see anything for 2021 until the 2018-2019 time period.

I always use a travel agent. I like to have someone who knows who to talk to and how to get things done (I am not a good negotiator). Also, you can usually get some kind of a perk with most travel agents. For my upcoming WC I switched to a travel agency that works closely with HAL, gives a 6% discount on fare, provides a hotel for the night before the cruise, includes a couple of excursions, a host on board, and a couple of cocktail parties. None of these would I get if I had booked directly with HAL.

For world cruises the final payment date is usually 90-120 days before sailing. You can certainly make payments before that date but I prefer to keep the money gathering interest for me until final payment date.

Happy planning!

We'll definitely want trip insurance including medical. Who knows what can happen half a world away? I figured we'd need to consider that. Didn't know it would cost another $10K. :eek: Guess the guy who said to pack half the clothes & twice the $ wasn't kidding!

May I ask which travel agency you use? Sounds like they deliver a lot of goodies in addition to the cruise line's incentives.

For your second WC are you going on a different line? Is the itinerary different? Do you have a MUST SEE port in mind?

A lot can change in 5 years. Our Google stocks could tank and we'll be reduced to taking out a rowboat on Lake of the Ozarks. :)

But I love the idea of planning and dreaming about a WC. It energizes me. I plan to use it to increase my fitness level so I'm ready for adventure.

Thanks,

Aquadesiac

103 Days Afloat & Counting...

Booked for this year:

Carnival Dream Jan 2017

Holland America Eurodam Sept 2017

I looked at your list of trips and noticed your 2016 Westerdam cruise. My DH & I were on the Westerdam sailing to Hawaii, Tahiti & the South Pacific last April too. Those 30 days were the longest cruise we've been on & it convinced us we wouldn't get tired of a ship for a longer voyage. Even though we missed a couple of ports due to heavy seas, it was a wonderful time.

A quick search on Princess website shows a Jan 2018 world cruise (111 days) for $20,000pp for an inside, which is easily doable in your $100K budget. Sometimes cruise lines run specials, maybe a 2 for 1 or prepaid gratuities , etc. Good luck ! :)

Edited by The Other Tom

We'll definitely want trip insurance including medical. Who knows what can happen half a world away? I figured we'd need to consider that. Didn't know it would cost another $10K. :eek: Guess the guy who said to pack half the clothes & twice the $ wasn't kidding!

May I ask which travel agency you use? Sounds like they deliver a lot of goodies in addition to the cruise line's incentives.

For your second WC are you going on a different line? Is the itinerary different? Do you have a MUST SEE port in mind?

My first WC was on Cunard and I loved it. When I was investigating world cruises five years ago, HAL was actually my first choice but the cost of a balcony for a solo cruiser on the Amsterdam was way too much for my retired teacher finances. (I had decided I needed a balcony because how many times was I going to go around the world? Silly me!;)) My other requirement was that I had to completely circumnavigate the globe (which eliminated a number of possible "world cruises" which - like the Viking WC - did not start and end at the same place) which required me to fly to the UK to start the cruise. I would gladly cruise Cunard again but decided to give HAL's WC a try.

I have a number of reasons for trying HAL this time. One is because I have read so many blogs from people who do the HAL world cruise I felt I had to try it. Small world that we were on the same cruise! I had a great time and since I love sea days, I wasn't overly upset that we missed some ports. With the 15% credit from that cruise, I had another reason to do the HAL WC. Another reason was because of the perks that my new travel agent gives for HAL. And lastly, by taking HAL I only have a short flight to/from Fort Lauderdale. I did have to compromise with an oceanview cabin.

We are not allowed to mention travel agencies on CC but if you drop me an e-mail, I can let you know. kmcnana at comcast dot net

Kathi

You have lots of time to research a WC. Did 71N on Oceanias Insignia, another small ship, premium(or a little better)Casual elegance at its best.Probably the best food and port intensive outside of a few luxury lines. I would not book any ship without a prior sail on it. You mentioned Princess. Pacific(or is it Ocean? is getting a little ragged from reports here, with few dining options. You dine at 5:30 or around 8. Open seating better. Not enough port stops yields those lower prices. On the Queens you dress for dinner nightly and they have that class structure.But pricing not bad. Agree with Scrap about HAL .Lots of ports.Should be interesting WC with a bigger ship but not too big.17 and 18 itins out to view. I booked Oceania a year in advance getting full benefits package.You might want to get on their mail list. I found it for me the best value. Enjoy your WC search.

The longest we've cruised Princess was a 12 day around Great Britain, plus a number of week long trips. We have 75 days on HAL total and really like that line best, but the itinerary for their WC doesn't hit the Med & Rome is sort of on my must see list. I'll see if I can get on Oceania's list & do a bit more digging. I figure we should be booking by summer of 2019 for a Jan 2021 sail date. Right?

Oops! I mean Zoncom. Sorry.

Aquadesiac

Looking for Bali Hai 2016 HAL Cruise to the South Pacific!

Edited by Aquadesiac
adding a link to my cruise blog

Besides the cruise fare, there is the air fare, beverages, excursions, insurance and gratuities along with other personal expenses. Some of these often are included as part of a world cruise.

Comparing the various lines based just on price is very hard as the inclusions vary a lot as does the on board experience.

As you are going all the way around the world you will experience a very wide range of cultures each offering many different tour experiences. It's very different than a cruise to the Caribbean or other major tourist area.

If you are fussy about cabin location book as early as possible. Keep an eye out for the release dates for the 2019 and 2020 w/c and that will give you an idea of when the 2021 will be available.

Deposits (around 20 - 25%) are refundable up to final payment date. Some travel agencies will give discounts or include extras with the booking so find one that you are comfortable with prior to when you expect the cruise to be available.

Although posting on the roll call section here on CC is meant for those on particular cruises, you can learn a lot by reading what others are planning for some of the upcoming cruises.

To get a feel of what to expect look for w/c reviews here on CC. I was on the 180 day Oceania cruise this year and along with another passenger we both did daily postings which gives a lot of info on the ship and the port experiences. You will likely have been booked for a long time before excursions are listed for the 2021 cruise so it is good to have an idea of what each line typically offers before making a decision on which line to book. You can go to any of the current w/c available and look at the excursions being offered and typical cost.

I do need to start lurking in some of the WC roll calls. That would give me an idea about what's going on with that particular ship & itinerary. And you're right. Comparing strictly by cabin price is deceptive. We need to factor everything in. And then add a cushion because I'm sure there will be extras we've neglected to consider.

We are a bit picky about our cabin. It has to have a balcony. What I'm wondering is if a sheltered balcony on one of the Cunard ships would bother me? I like shade myself, but the DH loves to soak up sun on a balcony. I'm afraid he'd feel stymied.

Anybody want to share their experience?

Thanks!

There seems to be more competition and interest in WCs currently than a few years ago. Oceania is offering some ship excursions included as well as air and port fees. Most WC cruisers have done Europe many times hence a dearth of Euro ports. You will find many European WC cruisers, at least on Oceania.Construct a spread sheet to compare.

Now there's an idea the DH will get behind. He's a detail-oriented tech guy. We could compare itineraries, cabin price, inclusions, size of the ship, general feel of the line (not sure I'm up to snuff for Cunard. We're not formal people).

In fact, if there's anything I hate, it's a pissing contest to see who's more affluent than who. One day at lunch on a cruise, the guys at our table started comparing the size of their boats.

1st guy: I've got a 28 footer.

2nd guy: Mine's 32 foot.

They both looked expectantly at my DH. He just smiled and said: My boat has wings. (He's a private pilot & we had a Cessna 182. He's not the sort to start that kind of comparison conversation, but he was happy to end it that time!)

Anyway, the idea of casual elegance appeals to me. Think we'll explore Oceania more. Thanks again for the suggestions!

• 7 months later...

When I first started lurking on the CC boards, I didn't think we could swing a world cruise till 2021 or so. But now, thanks to a super sale on the fare, my DH and I are booked on the Pacific Princess 2018 World Cruise! We leave LA on Jan. 22nd and we can't wait.

And yes, I'm already blogging about it as we prepare for this awesome adventure. Hope you'll join me at RoundTheWorldWriter!

When I first started lurking on the CC boards, I didn't think we could swing a world cruise till 2021 or so. But now, thanks to a super sale on the fare, my DH and I are booked on the Pacific Princess 2018 World Cruise! We leave LA on Jan. 22nd and we can't wait.

And yes, I'm already blogging about it as we prepare for this awesome adventure. Hope you'll join me at RoundTheWorldWriter!

Just read your latest entry. Those collapsible storage boxes are a must. They weigh very little and can be stuffed In your suitcase almost anywhere. You might want to take a couple of smaller ones, also. I keep my cords for electronics in a small one on the desk in my cabin so they are always handy.

Just read your latest entry. Those collapsible storage boxes are a must. They weigh very little and can be stuffed In your suitcase almost anywhere. You might want to take a couple of smaller ones, also. I keep my cords for electronics in a small one on the desk in my cabin so they are always handy.

What quantity and sizes do you recommend?

Good idea. Between our laptops, tablets, phones and such we have tons of power cords. It would be good to corral them in one place.

What quantity and sizes do you recommend?

I usually take three or four but I cruise solo. You would likely want more with two in a cabin. As I said, they are very light and fold up flat so if I don't use all that I take, it is not a big deal.

I enjoyed your blog, thank you; I've bookedmarked it for the future :) I'm really pleased to hear you are going on the WC whilst your health allows. Enjoy (and a WC is a dream for me too, when we finally retire!)

Health is a big concern for a lot of people with chronic lung issues like me, but I'm pretty stable now, which makes travel very doable. Have portable oxygen concentrator--will cruise! The fact that I'm doing well now is part of why we're jumping our plans up a bit--that and the really good sale on fares (We booked a reserve balcony for $3K less than an inside cabin a piece!) Add to that the itinerary hits lots of our must see's and it was an easy decision.

Glad to know you enjoyed the blog. Did you sign up to follow by email? If so, new posts will show up in your inbox.Also, I'm getting notes from people who are having trouble leaving comments. If you have difficulty, please let me know and I'll try to adjust the blog settings. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So fun to see how your plans came together, and now to be reading your blog as you are on your world cruise. Inspiration for the rest of us to keep planning and dreaming! :)