Insurances on World Cruise when over 65.

Holland American insurance is very expensive.

And the medical coverage is very low - it might cover one day in a hospital.

I found a good policy on insuremytrip.com - it has $150,000 medical and a $1,000,000 emergency medical evacuation (which are the two areas I am most concerned with).

We also purchase a Med Jet Policy.

For a World Cruise that is greater then 90 days we purchase a policy for them that covers it. The plan that they offer is an Expatriate policy.

In years where we didn't travel for so long outside the USA we got their annual plan.

In either case for those in the USA who have AARP, there is a discount of 15% off the plan.

Most travel insurance companies plans include evacuation insurance but the Med Jet policy which is evacuation only provides several benefits and one includes being transferred to a specific location. I think this is critical for a world cruise where you might be in some very remote areas.

Keith

For a World Cruise that is greater then 90 days we purchase a policy for them that covers it. The plan that they offer is an Expatriate policy.

In years where we didn't travel for so long outside the USA we got their annual plan.

In either case for those in the USA who have AARP, there is a discount of 15% off the plan.

Most travel insurance companies plans include evacuation insurance but the Med Jet policy which is evacuation only provides several benefits and one includes being transferred to a specific location. I think this is critical for a world cruise where you might be in some very remote areas.

Keith

Thanks Keith

I think there is a way to buy the longer policy for a W.C. And a policy for the balance of the year.

Wow. That's more than 10% of the trip value.

Yes, insurance for a world cruise is not an inexpensive item that one needs to consider when planning such a voyage. But, if one would have to cancel when one is in the penalty phase prior to sailing, it would be worth every penny it cost!

How do you handle Insurance on a World Cruise when you are 65 plus.

Is that your age or the length of your trip? :confused:

If the former' date=' remember that US Medicare will not cover your medical expenses outside the US and its territories. Your Medigap policy may offer additional coverage for health care services or supplies that you get outside the U.S. Standard Medigap Plans C, D, F, G, M, and N provide foreign travel emergency health care coverage when you travel outside the U.S.

If the later, wahoo!!! Sounds like a great trip.

We use Steve at the tripinsurancestore.com for all our travel insurance needs.

Also, we endorse getting MedJet if you are under 75yo. They will evac you from a local hospital to a hospital of YOUR choice.

Is that your age or the length of your trip? :confused:

If the former, remember that US Medicare will not cover your medical expenses outside the US and its territories. Your Medigap policy may offer additional coverage for health care services or supplies that you get outside the U.S. Standard Medigap Plans C, D, F, G, M, and N provide foreign travel emergency health care coverage when you travel outside the U.S.

If the later, wahoo!!! Sounds like a great trip.

We use Steve at the tripinsurancestore.com for all our travel insurance needs.

Also, we endorse getting MedJet if you are under 75yo. They will evac you from a local hospital to a hospital of YOUR choice.

My age next year .

Keith

Either AARP's discount has been lowered, or the discount is smaller for the Diamond (age 75 - 84) policy. They quoted me $665 w/o the discount and $615 with the discount. Either way, it is a cheap price to pay for evacuation/repatriation coverage. That plus HAL's CPP plan provides us with all the coverage we need for the 82-day 2018 Grand Asia. Our medical covers us anywhere in the world.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out Allianz. They offer an annual policy which cobers any travel. You choose a maximum reimbursement per year and pay escalating cost. We bought $10k this year.... no world cruise ��

They reimbursed us $7k with minimal hassle after FIL death forced us to fly home withno notice from BKK. No squabble paying for our J tickets even though we were on award J ticket. Only problem is once issued you can't raise the policy max until renewal date. I'm 66 btw.

NOT inexpensive but we were impressed with service and are planning to buy a much higher policy to cover 2018 since I'm retiring and expecting to do far more travel.

• 5 weeks later...
Either AARP's discount has been lowered, or the discount is smaller for the Diamond (age 75 - 84) policy. They quoted me $665 w/o the discount and $615 with the discount. Either way, it is a cheap price to pay for evacuation/repatriation coverage. That plus HAL's CPP plan provides us with all the coverage we need for the 82-day 2018 Grand Asia. Our medical covers us anywhere in the world.

That was helpful thank you..

Check out Allianz. They offer an annual policy which cobers any travel. You choose a maximum reimbursement per year and pay escalating cost. We bought $10k this year.... no world cruise ��

They reimbursed us $7k with minimal hassle after FIL death forced us to fly home withno notice from BKK. No squabble paying for our J tickets even though we were on award J ticket. Only problem is once issued you can't raise the policy max until renewal date. I'm 66 btw.

NOT inexpensive but we were impressed with service and are planning to buy a much higher policy to cover 2018 since I'm retiring and expecting to do far more travel.

I think there is a maximum number of days per trip.

• 5 months later...

If you are in the US and are covered under your states Blues plan, it is most likely you have worldwide coverage. Look for a suitcase icon on the front of your ID Card and call customer service for your local plan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums