How long of a cruise?

sjde

Everybody's different and only you can decide what's long enough but not too long.

What's the longest cruise you have been on ? Was it too long or about right ?

Most world cruises are sold in segments. If you're concerned about cruise length, go on one or two segments to see how you like it.

I think 12 nts was the longest and that was fine. I'd like to think I could do 2 or 3 or 4 months but I'm not so sure. Part of me feels that if I'm going to do a world cruise I might as well go all out and see as much as I can . But unfortunately , you won't know if it's too long until you're there experiencing it.

For a world cruise about 100 days although I have been on ones ranging from 78 to around 120 days.

For some people they are ready to go home before the cruise ends for others it is the right time and for some they are a little depressed when it is time to go.

Keith

We did the Oceana 180 day world cruise. I only talked to one other passenger doing the full voyage who though it was on the long side. We loved the cruise but felt 180 was long enough - would not have wanted longer. The advantage of a cruise like that is while going all the way around the world, you do it slower thus getting a much higher port to sea day ratio. On the 180 cruise it was about 50-50. To go all around the world in a more tradition voyage of around 110 days you need a high percent of sea days or a voyage that does not do a full circumnavigation.

On the opposite end, one time we were taking a hotel shuttle to the port in Ft. Lauderdale. Two other couples got talking and one man asked the other which ship they were going on. The man replied he was doing a 10 day Royal Caribbean cruise. The first replied he was doing a 7 day on Carnival - he could not imagine going on a cruise as long as 10 days. I kept my mouth shut as we were about to start a 42 day adventure.

We did the 180-day voyage on O this year. I was ready to get off the ship at the end ... but only because I knew we had three more months of other travels pending within 6 weeks. Had the post-RTW itineraries on the ship been exciting to us, we would have had no problems staying on. Our longest cruise before the RTW was a little over a month, but our cruise-land vacations had been as long as 4 months. That said, "how long is right" is very subjective, and things like tolerance for days at sea and ability to entertain self without having to rely on the ship's activities are important elements IMHO.

We also did the 180 with Wayne. The first month of the trip was very similar to another long cruise we had taken. By the end of the second month the trip became less of a typical cruise, as friendships with those taking the journey developed. We began to share life events: death, injuries, illnesses. We felt a connection to staff that we saw daily. There were over 100 of us taking the trip together, and the shared experience bonded us together. By the last couple months, the ship life became as much a part of experience as were the ports. We are not outgoing people, and on a typical 2 week cruise don't go out of our way to socialize. But we soon realized that the socialization was a very large part of the fun we had on the ATW. Others must have also felt that, as a large number of those cruisers have rebooked another 180 in 2019-- even though many of the ports on that cruise are repeats. Is every day perfect? no. Did we have a positive relationship with everyone? no. But, I would think that if you are a positive person who enjoys meeting people, the length of the cruise shouldn't scare you. If you tend to be critical, a long cruise that is likely to add up those less than perfect events, a long cruise may not be a good fit. You need to start with being honest with yourself -- I'm sure those I met on my trip who were in the "critical" group have a completely different account of how long the 180 days seemed to them.

We have grown used to longer cruises now - never under a month. Prior to the world cruise our longest vacation was 96 days which included 70 days at sea. Boarding tomorrow for 35 days then 2 days off and another 21 days at sea

Menus will repeat just like they do on cruises that are only a few weeks. With multiple items on the menu it takes a longtime before you are repeating too much. On long cruise you need to pace yourself - no multiple heaping plates at the buffet.

World cruises tend to be on smaller ships with limited entertainment options. Wide ranging lectures on sea days are common.

Each cruise line will do things a bit different so try to learn about each line as much as possible. For example Oceania and Princess both use the exact same designed ship (from a former bankrupt line) but Oceania has open dinning while Princess has just early or late fixed sitting. Both lines normally have production shows on their shorter cruises. On the world cruises Oceania did not do them so passengers did not have the same shows repeating while Princess repeats their production shows each segment.

A world cruise exposes you to a very side range cultures and living standards. One of the only downsides I found was with so many ports over a short time it can become easy to have them starting to blend together - I had to take a lot of photos and notes just to remember what we did.

• 2 months later...
We also did the 180 with Wayne. The first month of the trip was very similar to another long cruise we had taken. By the end of the second month the trip became less of a typical cruise, as friendships with those taking the journey developed. We began to share life events: death, injuries, illnesses. We felt a connection to staff that we saw daily. There were over 100 of us taking the trip together, and the shared experience bonded us together. By the last couple months, the ship life became as much a part of experience as were the ports. We are not outgoing people, and on a typical 2 week cruise don't go out of our way to socialize. But we soon realized that the socialization was a very large part of the fun we had on the ATW. Others must have also felt that, as a large number of those cruisers have rebooked another 180 in 2019-- even though many of the ports on that cruise are repeats. Is every day perfect? no. Did we have a positive relationship with everyone? no. But, I would think that if you are a positive person who enjoys meeting people, the length of the cruise shouldn't scare you. If you tend to be critical, a long cruise that is likely to add up those less than perfect events, a long cruise may not be a good fit. You need to start with being honest with yourself -- I'm sure those I met on my trip who were in the "critical" group have a completely different account of how long the 180 days seemed to them.

Thanks for providing this perspective. I have been wondering what the social atmosphere would be like on board for this extended period.

Do you get the sense that solo travelers were welcomed on board Oceania? I realize that much of that is up to the individual and depends on how social and outgoing they are, but I am wondering if you have general perspective?

Do you get the sense that solo travelers were welcomed on board Oceania? I realize that much of that is up to the individual and depends on how social and outgoing they are, but I am wondering if you have general perspective?

Just a couple things I noticed.

We happened to become good friends with several singles and couples, meeting them via the roll call prior to the cruise. I would suggest joining your roll call -- they often start up a year in advance of the cruise.

The entertainment staff hosted dinners for singles frequently. Those tables always seemed to be having fun, i'm sure the flowing wine helped!

Many singles joined the various activities -- whether it was trivia, ping pong, bridge, art classes or needlepoint-- a great way to meet others. There are quite a few couples who participate separately in those activities.

Eating in the MDR seems to be an easier way to meet others, as many like to share tables. The hostess will take your request for shared table, and sets it all up when you arrive at the dining room.

I would say that in general, the passengers are interested in meeting new people, and marital status doesn't matter.

Just a couple things I noticed.

We happened to become good friends with several singles and couples, meeting them via the roll call prior to the cruise. I would suggest joining your roll call -- they often start up a year in advance of the cruise.

The entertainment staff hosted dinners for singles frequently. Those tables always seemed to be having fun, i'm sure the flowing wine helped!

Many singles joined the various activities -- whether it was trivia, ping pong, bridge, art classes or needlepoint-- a great way to meet others. There are quite a few couples who participate separately in those activities.

Eating in the MDR seems to be an easier way to meet others, as many like to share tables. The hostess will take your request for shared table, and sets it all up when you arrive at the dining room.

I would say that in general, the passengers are interested in meeting new people, and marital status doesn't matter.

That is great to hear! Thanks so much.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our longest cruise was 104 nights and we have recently booked a 119 night segment on Viking Ocean. The entire WC is 245, but is broken into 2 segments. Personally, having worked at sea, I have no problem handling 8 months, but DW would max out at 6 months.

My preference would be longer, as some sections, especially around the Meddy were way to busy - ports every day, with long excursions. I prefer a more sedate pace and would have enjoyed some extra overnights. Our future WC has 3 days in Hong Kong, which is perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did the 113 days on Holland America and loved it...but itinerary needs to be one that keeps you interested. BUT...do remember you are away from home and family for 4 months (or longer) and in our case that did not work out well. After 3 months on board our eldest son informed us that he had been diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic cancer! (It was US we had thought we had to worry about)...so, those last few weeks were nerve-wracking for us, but he insisted we not come home. The fact we were surrounded by our "new friends" on the WC who were sympathetic and supportive did help us get through those next weeks. But it did remind us that anything can happen while you are at sea (and pretty much out of touch in some parts of the world with little internet access). (He's doing OK now, but we feel if we had known immediately we MIGHT have made a difference in the outcome...his father's a doctor and has found some disturbing misses in his initial diagnosis...had we been more available, who knows...