World Cruise Travel Agencies

LrdNorman

While reading several blogs on world cruises, I've come across many authors talking about the amenities their Cruise Agency provides.

What Cruise Agency do you use? Is local or national better? For my family's cruises (which haven't been many), we didn't necessarily receive "perks" and I'm wondering if I'm missing out.

Working on a world cruise in the near future...

Sorry - Cruise Critic rules specifically prevent people mentioning specific travel agents. You will get generic descriptions of what you can expect but no specific names or recommendations

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=Travel+Agent&match=all&titlesonly=0

It also means you cannot post links to travel agencies, no matter what the specific reason.

That said you can expect things like OBC, gifts, shore excursions, on board receptions, pre cruise accomodation etc - but not necessarily all of them - sometimes you can choose and sometimes they or their consortium will set the deliverables

I suggest you follow a few of the current WC blogs and you will get an idea from them of the sort of inclusions that are provided - there's a list in this thread @ https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2571981

Edited by Bodogbodog

To add to the previous post, travel agents can be very different from each other. Before choosing one to book a cruise, you should interview them and make sure they are experienced and hopefully are a high volume agent for the cruise line you want to sail on.

Some are just a "middle man", in that they don't give discounts or perks. Many posters have had these types and are soured toward travel agents since they offer nothing more than booking directly with the cruise line.

Some agents are good for mainline cruise lines and offer discounts and perks, in addition to what the line is offering. I've used several of these and they've done a fine job. I rarely need any further assistance (I always do all my own research before booking a cruise) and the agents really don't do anything more.

Then there are agents who specialize in booking luxury cruise lines and/or exotic cruises. These agents are usually more proactive in helping clients because there are so many things to do for a world cruise and decisions to make. Since the cost of a world cruise is huge, many of these agents also give large discounts, lots of OBC and many other perks. Virtually all people booking luxury or exotic cruises use a travel agent.

Obviously no one on CC can recommend an agent, but you can do an Internet search for them under "luxury travel agent" or "luxury travel agency." Have your list of questions when you interview them and pick the one who will give you the best service. Best wishes in your search.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

My advice is to speak with people you know who cruise a lot to see if they have recommendations.

Get a list of three to five agents.

Interview them all on the phone.

If you have a World Cruise in mind ask specifically what amenities they will provide.

Also, agents who do not have any world cruisers might do a lot for you in order to get your business.

Good luck with this.

Keith

I want to add that the approach I described in my earlier post is the same one I took when we were taking our first of several full World Cruises.

At the time I didn't have a TA that I wanted to use for that World Cruise and I found the process worked very well. I also tried to get recommendation of agents from various consortiums so that I had a diverse group to interview.

Keith

Great suggestions!

Thank you for the information. Are there specific amenities that are "better" than others?

I would imagine laundry and drycleaning would be a nice perk...

The gold standard (at least for maximum flexibility) is refundable OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Read some of the blogs in the World Cruise Blog thread. Some of the bloggers list their TA. They are also good for preparing for the cruise.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2571981

On the 2019 cruise, my TA is offering: (in addition to what the cruise line offers)

A cruise host

Pre-cruise hotel stay and dinner the night before the cruise.

All transfers - airport to hotel and hotel to port

Onboard events -- there will be a few cocktail parties

Shore excursion package (tours with just our group) and $200 in shore excursion dollars.

Great suggestions!

Thank you for the information. Are there specific amenities that are "better" than others?

I would imagine laundry and drycleaning would be a nice perk...

Laundry and Dry Cleaning has more to do with the amenities that the cruise line provides rather then what the agency provides.

The things to look for with agencies for a World Cruise IMHO would be shipboard credit and potentially special tours. Some consortiums provide a tour on each segment or maybe one or two special events during the cruise.

In the end though I think the key is finding an agent who is well seasoned and knowledgeable about the line you are sailing and with world cruises.

Keith

The gold standard (at least for maximum flexibility) is refundable OBC.

You are thinking that one would have leftover OBC's on a World Cruise? I like your optimism. For me, the gold standard would be free laundry and paid gratuities, both of which would probably be offered only by the cruise line itself, so any agent would be able to obtain that for you. And those benefits, at least with HAL may depend on early booking and in certain cabin categories.

You are thinking that one would have leftover OBC's on a World Cruise? I like your optimism. For me, the gold standard would be free laundry and paid gratuities, both of which would probably be offered only by the cruise line itself, so any agent would be able to obtain that for you. And those benefits, at least with HAL may depend on early booking and in certain cabin categories.

No - don't expect leftover $. However, that refundable OBC has the most flexibility. If one wants to apply it to laundry, tips or whatever, all s/he had to do is make sure that the total value of all sources of OBC (refundable and non-refundable) exceeds the total of anticipated extra costs during the journey.

Again, the gold standard is refundable OBC (because of flexibility) but only if one does the math and negotiates the correct amount.

A real Oceania example:

If your O loyalty level gets included gratuities, you would want a TA's offer of gratuities to be changed to refundable OBC. Why?

If you accept the TA offer of gratuities, O will only provide you with an alternative amount of OBC, which is often approx $250 in non-refundable OBC. Thus, take the O gratuities and ask TA to provide OBC equal to gratuity cost (e.g., $32/cabin/day X 20 days = $640), which is a far better deal than the $250 in non-refundable OBC that O would provide.

Of course, if the TA is using O incentive funds or TA consortia (or their own agency) promo funds for their gratuities coverage, s/he may balk at the thought of having to further share their commission in the form of non-refundable OBC equal to the retail value of the gratuities.

But, that's what negotiation is all about and, on a big ticket item like O cruises of a month or more, you'd be hard pressed to find a good TA who wouldn't deal.

Remember the mantra taught to all Brooklyn kids at a very young age: "Never pay retail!"

[quote name=Flatbush Flyer;55028222

Of course' date=' if the TA is using O incentive funds or TA consortia (or their own agency) promo funds for their gratuities coverage, s/he may balk at the thought of having to further share their commission in the form of non-refundable OBC equal to the retail value of the gratuities.

But, that's what negotiation is all about and, on a big ticket item like O cruises of a month or more, you'd be hard pressed to find a good TA who wouldn't deal.

Remember the mantra taught to all Brooklyn kids at a very young age: "Never pay retail!"

We cruise HAL, so the only prepaid gratuities come directly from the line, but are applicable through an independent TA. Now I am kicking myself for not standing up for OBC's from our TA on the 82-day cruise. When I asked, she said: "But you are getting them from HAL." I shall remember your Brooklyn mantra henceforth!

You live and learn.

We learned a lot a few years before our first world cruise which served us well for the first world cruise.

A couple who we met on that first world cruise who we are good friends with today learned a hard lesson. On their first world cruise their TA gave them one bottle of wine.

There are lots of things TA's can do for you given the amount of money one is spending on a full world cruise.

Keith

No - don't expect leftover $. However, that refundable OBC has the most flexibility. If one wants to apply it to laundry, tips or whatever, all s/he had to do is make sure that the total value of all sources of OBC (refundable and non-refundable) exceeds the total of anticipated extra costs during the journey.

Again, the gold standard is refundable OBC (because of flexibility) but only if one does the math and negotiates the correct amount.

A real Oceania example:

If your O loyalty level gets included gratuities, you would want a TA's offer of gratuities to be changed to refundable OBC. Why?

If you accept the TA offer of gratuities, O will only provide you with an alternative amount of OBC, which is often approx $250 in non-refundable OBC. Thus, take the O gratuities and ask TA to provide OBC equal to gratuity cost (e.g., $32/cabin/day X 20 days = $640), which is a far better deal than the $250 in non-refundable OBC that O would provide.

Of course, if the TA is using O incentive funds or TA consortia (or their own agency) promo funds for their gratuities coverage, s/he may balk at the thought of having to further share their commission in the form of non-refundable OBC equal to the retail value of the gratuities.

I'll be on the Oceania world cruise in 2019. Oceania gave me: round trip first class airfare, 1 night precruise hotel stay, roundtrip transfers, 36 shore excursions, pre-paid gratuities, onboard medical care, unlimited internet, unlimited laundry, 5 shoreside events, visa package, luggage delivery, $230 spa credit, and $250 OBC. I also get $250 OBC for owning NCL stock.

My travel agent gave me $3,500 OBC plus some other "surprise" perks that she said she'll tell me shortly. I feel like this is a good deal and will save me alot of money compared to booking on another cruiseline.

I'll be on the Oceania world cruise in 2019. Oceania gave me: round trip first class airfare, 1 night precruise hotel stay, roundtrip transfers, 36 shore excursions, pre-paid gratuities, onboard medical care, unlimited internet, unlimited laundry, 5 shoreside events, visa package, luggage delivery, $230 spa credit, and $250 OBC. I also get $250 OBC for owning NCL stock.

My travel agent gave me $3,500 OBC plus some other "surprise" perks that she said she'll tell me shortly. I feel like this is a good deal and will save me alot of money compared to booking on another cruiseline.

If your TA's OBC equals 5-10% of the "commissionable" fare (your fare less taxes and some other fees or items beyond my knowledge), you're A-OK.

An agent to me goes much further then how much OBC they provide.

I want an agent who can avoid me from making mistakes, is there when I need them, can get me answers to questions and cut through the red tape, is an expert in their field, knows the cruise line well and when it comes to world cruises is not at their first rodeo.

An agent who might provide a little less amenities but can help you make costly mistakes and can also make wise recommendations that save you money in the end can provide more value then the one who provides the most OBC but maybe does not do well in other areas IMHO.

Keith

An agent to me goes much further then how much OBC they provide.

I want an agent who can avoid me from making mistakes, is there when I need them, can get me answers to questions and cut through the red tape, is an expert in their field, knows the cruise line well and when it comes to world cruises is not at their first rodeo.

An agent who might provide a little less amenities but can help you make costly mistakes and can also make wise recommendations that save you money in the end can provide more value then the one who provides the most OBC but maybe does not do well in other areas IMHO.

I want both! ;p One without the other isn't a good deal and it is possible to have both.

• 2 weeks later...

What is meant by refundable OBC? Do you actually get money back if you don't use it?

I think this board prohibits recommendations of TAs so any tips for finding a good one ? My sister is one but knows nothing about cruises much less world cruises!

What is meant by refundable OBC? Do you actually get money back if you don't use it?

I think this board prohibits recommendations of TAs so any tips for finding a good one ? My sister is one but knows nothing about cruises much less world cruises!

Yes "refundable".

There's a ton of CC threads on how to find a top TA.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Some TAs offer their own excursions in ports which vary quite a bit. We talked with friends on board and all of them were very happy with the tours that were offered...some at no charge, some at a charge, but all were different from HAL tour options. Our TA offered overland tours that we wanted that were quite a bit cheaper than those from HAL. So, interviewing agencies and finding out their various "perks" and feeling which is a best fit for you would be good.