when to get insurance fro 2020 world cruise

Lesanne

hi, we are on a world cruise in 2020 and looking for insurance for a single trip to cover this and i cannot get a quote on line, has anyone booked insurance so far in front in the UK?

we have a current annual policy which we will renew for 2019 for cruises already booked, would this cover our deposit till we can book a policy for the world as the days are only max 31 for any single trip

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the USA, but I purchased my insurance for my 2019 world cruise during the week after booking the cruise. I use insuremytrip dot com....they only had 4 companies offering insurance for our 6 month long cruise. Quite pricey! :o

hi, we are on a world cruise in 2020 and looking for insurance for a single trip to cover this and i cannot get a quote on line, has anyone booked insurance so far in front in the UK?

we have a current annual policy which we will renew for 2019 for cruises already booked, would this cover our deposit till we can book a policy for the world as the days are only max 31 for any single trip

We are considering Viking Ocean for our next WC in 2020. I have researched our local insurance options and an online option. Nobody will provide trip insurance this far out, considering the total cost of the trip. Looks like we will have to take out the Viking insurance.

We are considering Viking Ocean for our next WC in 2020. I have researched our local insurance options and an online option. Nobody will provide trip insurance this far out, considering the total cost of the trip. Looks like we will have to take out the Viking insurance.

I bought mine in March, 2017, nearly 2 years before the cruise leaves in Jan, 2019. I paid for it right after I paid the cruise deposit. Try insuremytrip dot com. There were 4 plans for this costly of a trip.

you usually need to purchase insurance within a rather narrow time frame of your initial depsit to ensure coverage of "pre" existing conditions.

I bought mine in March, 2017, nearly 2 years before the cruise leaves in Jan, 2019. I paid for it right after I paid the cruise deposit. Try insuremytrip dot com. There were 4 plans for this costly of a trip.

When none of our local insurance brokers were interested, I tried them. Nothing available when using the online quote, so I contacted them. Received a quick response that none of their companies would quote for the 2020 cruise considering the price.

Travel Agent had an option, but almost twice the price of Viking.

• 5 weeks later...

If you are a UK based cruiser, open a Nationwide FlexDirect account, pay the £13 a month and if you are under 75, this will give you worldwide travel insurance for trips of up to 30 days, automatically.

However, if you are over 70, they will need you to answer a couple of health questions. This wasn't a problem for us and the few medical issues that we have were accepted without concern.

As long as they are happy with you, this cover can then be extended to cover longer term cruises and to include the increased cancellation costs that such cruises will entail.

How do I know this? Well we are both 73 and are on the Arcadia Jan 2020 worldwide cruise and Nationwide has given us full travel insurance cover without any particular difficulty for the 99 days but just simply subject to the payment of a fairly modest additional premium.

We will have to renew our annual cover again before we depart but were told that as long as we remain fairly healthy, our next year's additional premium will probably be the same as we have paid this year.

It's by far the best option I have found.

If you are a UK based cruiser, open a Nationwide FlexDirect account, pay the £13 a month and if you are under 75, this will give you worldwide travel insurance for trips of up to 30 days, automatically.

However, if you are over 70, they will need you to answer a couple of health questions. This wasn't a problem for us and the few medical issues that we have were accepted without concern.

As long as they are happy with you, this cover can then be extended to cover longer term cruises and to include the increased cancellation costs that such cruises will entail.

How do I know this? Well we are both 73 and are on the Arcadia Jan 2020 worldwide cruise and Nationwide has given us full travel insurance cover without any particular difficulty for the 99 days but just simply subject to the payment of a fairly modest additional premium.

We will have to renew our annual cover again before we depart but were told that as long as we remain fairly healthy, our next year's additional premium will probably be the same as we have paid this year.

It's by far the best option I have found.

The Royal Bank of Scotland provides similar travel insurance, as my dad, who is 86 uses them. He pays extra for a pace maker and a per diem extra for every day over 30 days. However, I have never checked the small print to determine the max payout.

Our Canadian Bank has similar insurance coverage, but the max payout is insufficient to visit the US. We live 20 miles from the US border and cross the line about once a month. When visiting the US we purchase medical insurance of at least $5 to 10 million. Our bank doesn't provide that coverage, so we take out additional insurance.

If your World Cruise visits the US, I would check the medical insurance coverage of your policy very closely. My wife recently spent 1 night in a Palm Springs hospital and our insurance received a bill of over $30K.

The other thing to check, does your policy include emergency evacuation, should you require medical evacuation from the ship.

When none of our local insurance brokers were interested, I tried them. Nothing available when using the online quote, so I contacted them. Received a quick response that none of their companies would quote for the 2020 cruise considering the price.

Travel Agent had an option, but almost twice the price of Viking.

I used insuremytrip's online insurance finder and got 4 companies. I chose Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection. We're in a PH suite, so our trip cost is quite high, but they had no problem with it. Premium was huge, but nothing compared to losing our entire cruisefare. I bought it 9 days after booking the cruise.