World Cruise with Kids

FrauBintos

Hi everyone,

We are cruising with our kids around the world in 2020. I am trying to find some other people who have done this that I can chat to. I realise it's very rare and keeping my fingers crossed! Are you out there?!

PS I did a lot of research before booking, so I'm not looking to start a debate on whether or not it's a good idea, just hoping to chat to someone else who may have already done it. Thank you :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic. While this forum is about World Cruising, I would also post this on the boards that do the cruises. There are always one or more members on the HAL board doing world cruises, and sometimes on the Cunard board. You could ask there, either in a separate thread, or as a reply to one of the blogging threads. EM

Good advice to specifically ask your question on the Message Board of the cruise line on which you sail. During my world cruise, I was surprised at the number of school-aged children on my cruise. But, they were all well behaved, participated in Club HAL activities that were available for them, and had "school work" to do as we traveled around the world.

I don’t have contact info for them, but there was a young Brazilian family on our 180 day world cruise last year with two kids (5-7 years old??). The family always did things together on- and off-ship, and the kids seemed to enjoy the experience. You might try searching Oceania’s Facebook page and look for a post in late June early July 2017 where they posted about their youngest world cruisers. There might be a way to contact the family that way.

Hi everyone,

We are cruising with our kids around the world in 2020. I am trying to find some other people who have done this that I can chat to. I realise it's very rare and keeping my fingers crossed! Are you out there?!

PS I did a lot of research before booking, so I'm not looking to start a debate on whether or not it's a good idea, just hoping to chat to someone else who may have already done it. Thank you :)

I applaud you for doing this. Your kids will benefit greatly from this IMO.

Can you share the WC you chose?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the Princess World Cruise with our grandchildren, aged 8 and 9 this year. All four of us had a wonderful experience together. Feel free to ask any question at all. I'm more than pleased to share.

Linda

On one of the blogs from this year's HAL cruise (don't remember which one) there was mention of a fairly young child who was one the cruise. He was home schooled … and during the cruise his parents somehow met two retired teachers who were delighted to tutor, one for literature/grammar/writing/etc and the other for math. Worked out wonderfully for all of them!

In 2012 we took a 75-day cruise … there was a 4-year old traveling with his parents & grandparents for the entire cruise. We happened to spend a lot of time with them, on excursions on such, and he had a great time! There was also a 14-year old traveling with his mother; she kept him busy with school work and excursions. We spent quite a bit of time talking to him, and he also had a great time!

So, it can be done!!

• 1 month later...

Hi! I am planning a world cruise with my 12 and 14 year old too and can't decide which to book - ideally leaving Jan 2020. I know the make-up will be predominantly retirees but hoping to find one with a few other kids too. May I ask which cruise you decided on?

• 3 weeks later...
Good advice to specifically ask your question on the Message Board of the cruise line on which you sail. During my world cruise, I was surprised at the number of school-aged children on my cruise. But, they were all well behaved, participated in Club HAL activities that were available for them, and had "school work" to do as we traveled around the world.

That is so good to hear! Everything i’d read before posting my question led me to believe they wouldn’t be any on board!

I don’t have contact info for them, but there was a young Brazilian family on our 180 day world cruise last year with two kids (5-7 years old??). The family always did things together on- and off-ship, and the kids seemed to enjoy the experience. You might try searching Oceania’s Facebook page and look for a post in late June early July 2017 where they posted about their youngest world cruisers. There might be a way to contact the family that way.

This is very reassuring to read (my daughters will be 8&10 when we sail) and thanks for the tip, i’ll try FB :)

I applaud you for doing this. Your kids will benefit greatly from this IMO.

Can you share the WC you chose?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was very little choice I have to say! Most world cruises we found were adults only departing from the U.K. / Europe and we just couldn’t afford Cunard! So we’re sailing with MSC, 116 nights, Jan 2020 :)

We did the Princess World Cruise with our grandchildren, aged 8 and 9 this year. All four of us had a wonderful experience together. Feel free to ask any question at all. I'm more than pleased to share.

Linda

Hi Linda, that is so good to hear and so generous of you! I think my main concern is them getting fed up of each other’s company if they are the only kids on board....and will other passengers be unkind to them. My daughters will be 8&10 so almost exactly the same ages as your grandchildren!

On one of the blogs from this year's HAL cruise (don't remember which one) there was mention of a fairly young child who was one the cruise. He was home schooled … and during the cruise his parents somehow met two retired teachers who were delighted to tutor, one for literature/grammar/writing/etc and the other for math. Worked out wonderfully for all of them!

In 2012 we took a 75-day cruise … there was a 4-year old traveling with his parents & grandparents for the entire cruise. We happened to spend a lot of time with them, on excursions on such, and he had a great time! There was also a 14-year old traveling with his mother; she kept him busy with school work and excursions. We spent quite a bit of time talking to him, and he also had a great time!

So, it can be done!!

That is wonderful news! I am a qualified teacher but now I’m kind of hoping we find some retirees so I can put my feet up! ;)

Hi! I am planning a world cruise with my 12 and 14 year old too and can't decide which to book - ideally leaving Jan 2020. I know the make-up will be predominantly retirees but hoping to find one with a few other kids too. May I ask which cruise you decided on?

Oh! Possibly some company! We are travelling with MSC, 116 nights, departing Jan 2020 :) Maybe we’ll see you there?

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is very old, but I wanted to know if the original poster ever made it on the world cruise with their children???

I am guessing covid prevented it from happening. 

Perhaps you have now re booked???

Would love to know.

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2018 at 2:02 AM, LindseyC said:

Linda

Hi Linda, can I ask how long the cruise was? Did your grandchildren get ‘cabin fever’? My only worry is that our son will be the only child on board 😬

On 6/15/2018 at 10:23 AM, FrauBintos said:

Hi everyone,

PS I did a lot of research before booking, so I'm not looking to start a debate on whether or not it's a good idea, just hoping to chat to someone else who may have already done it. Thank you 🙂

Did you do this cruise? Can I ask how long it was? Did your children get ‘cabin fever’? I’m worried our son would be the only kid one on the ship 😬…