Tipping the steward up front

Yukonjake

Is it a tip (and appreciated) or a bribe (and sneered at) to tip the steward when he/she introduces himself on embarkation day? I as thinking of a $10er upfront and then $10 more on debarkation day. Would that plant us in his mind as a nice family that he wants to do his best for or show us to be the ugly Americans who think they can bribe/buy their way into anything?

PLease advise.

We have never ever tipped a room steward up front.

We always prepay all of our tips when we book our cruise. Then if we have our usual great service during the week we tip them “extra” on the last evening.

Have a great cruise!!

As long as he knows you still plan on tipping the normal daily tip/DSC/service charge (whatever they call it today, it's all the same thing), it will only be greatly appreciated. He works a job where tips are the main source of his income. Of course he's going to look favorably upon a tip.

I am wondering what the OP figures to accomplish by tipping in advance. The cabin stewards have many cabins, work on a tight schedule, and generally do a great job. Giving the money up front will not get you a better job, but if it makes you feel better to do this....the steward will be happy to take whatever your give :). Keep in mind that depending on your cruise line you might actually have your cabin serviced by a team (usually two) of stewards.

Hank

Stewards perform their work and their level of service based, not on upfront tips or whether you keep or remove the autotips.

Stewards are working to keep their job which usually includes a contract renewal. This is based on the comment and review cards that the cruise line receives after your sailing.

Sadly, middle management uses these reviews like a sword of damocles to compel the steward to do their job. Good reviews by the stewards make the managers look good.

Finally, remember that all the major cruise lines have reduced the number of stewards, thus grossly increasing the number of cabins that the remaining steward and assistants must service. IOW, the stewards and assistants are way overworked and deserve every dime they are earning along with glowing reviews (unless they are truly deficient[rare]).

My advice -

If you want to be thought of as a nice family and not the "ugly Americans", then help your steward by keeping your room relatively neat and picked up. Put your shoes, clothes, and personal items away out of sight so s/he can vacuum and clean the room. Keep the counters in the bathroom and cabin free of items (toothbrushes, hair appliances, vitamin bottles, etc.) so s/he can wipe them down. Put your used towels in the tub or shower and not on the floor. These small things will help your steward get in and out of your room quickly and effectively. And yes I know this because we have been complimented before on keeping a tidy cabin.

Tip at the end of the cruise if you feel your steward went above and beyond.

Having said all of this, of course you may do what you feel is right and appropriate for you and your family. I don't think any steward will ever turn down cash, before or at the end of the cruise.

We have never tipped the cabin steward or wait staff at the beginning of the cruise. We have always gotten excellent service. If warranted, we tip extra at the end

This is our experience too.

Is it a tip (and appreciated) or a bribe (and sneered at) to tip the steward when he/she introduces himself on embarkation day? I as thinking of a $10er upfront and then $10 more on debarkation day. Would that plant us in his mind as a nice family that he wants to do his best for or show us to be the ugly Americans who think they can bribe/buy their way into anything?

PLease advise.

Since there's no accompanying picture (and assuming you are American), I have no idea how "ugly" you are [emoji6] (nor on what evidence you base your erroneous overgeneralization about American travelers).

In any civilized country or language, what you're suggesting is a bribe and gauche.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally not expected or needed. Tipping on cruises is traditionally done on the last evening. Nowadays, the cruise line will charge the suggested tips to your account on a daily basis, and distribute them when the cruise is over.

If you feel someone went "over and beyond" and deserves more than what the cruise line recommends, you can tip in cash on the last evening.

Having owned two companies and worked in government services, I cannot help but to attest to the fact that bribes actually work.

I always bribe my steward at the beginning of the cruise, and usually do so often throughout.

Not sure if it works or not, but, I just can attest to the fact that I always get fantastic service.

Bribery is truly the American way.

Be aware that 1. your steward only gets a portion of any mandatory tip. 2. some cruise lines require employees to turn in all tips so they can be divided by supervision "evenly". By the second third day I know if steward is deserving. Any "additional" tip is given in private mid cruise. None of my business if they turn it in on the last day.