Have not cruised in 10 years

dantesab

Okay my wife and I have not cruised in 10 years. Our last cruise was in 2010 on the crown and we went western Caribbean cruise. We have been on 3 so far and we decided to take a southern Caribbean cruise on the crown in Feb 5 2020 to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. Looks like not a lot has changed with ship or cruising this time we decided to get a mini suite to really go all out. One question is do they still rent tuxedos? Last cruise I rented one and we had a blast so really looking forward to this time. Any changes we should know about or any helpful tips would be great :D

Welcome back. The FAQs on the Princess website https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

...have the link to the Formalwear Rental service: https://www.cruiselineformal.com/

Back in 2011 I rented the Deluxe Tuxedo Package with the CK vest and it was very nice. The deluxe microfiber shirts were a bit sheer for my tastes; would rather have had the plain cotton ones. But as you can see the price is around 60-70% of the cost of buying your own tuxedo and accessories. Which is what I did for the cruise that followed.

Okay my wife and I have not cruised in 10 years. Our last cruise was in 2010 on the crown and we went western Caribbean cruise. We have been on 3 so far and we decided to take a southern Caribbean cruise on the crown in Feb 5 2020 to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. Looks like not a lot has changed with ship or cruising this time we decided to get a mini suite to really go all out. One question is do they still rent tuxedos? Last cruise I rented one and we had a blast so really looking forward to this time. Any changes we should know about or any helpful tips would be great :D

Currently Princess does rent formal wear. But things could be changing. Check out this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2655213

If you really want to go all out check out the Club Class mini suites. Improved dining service plus a few more benefits.

Currently Princess does rent formal wear. But things could be changing. Check out this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2655213

If you really want to go all out check out the Club Class mini suites. Improved dining service plus a few more benefits.

Changing? "Dress to Impress" nights have been in effect on short getaways for nearly three years now.

But as the OP has booked a ten night Southern Caribbean cruise there will be two formal nights barring a complete abandonment of the current program.

Changing? "Dress to Impress" nights have been in effect on short getaways for nearly three years now.

But as the OP has booked a ten night Southern Caribbean cruise there will be two formal nights barring a complete abandonment of the current program.

That's not the way I read the posting. I read it as it's being tested out, so keep a watch over the next 18 months in case there are changes.

On our last cruise in June to Alaska I did not see anyone wearing a tux on formal nights. Not too many men wearing a dark for that matter. Most were dressed nice, but not formal. We were on The Golden Princess.

On our last cruise in June to Alaska I did not see anyone wearing a tux on formal nights. Not too many men wearing a dark for that matter. Most were dressed nice, but not formal. We were on The Golden Princess.

Bummer. I don't wear a tux but I do wear a dark suit and a tie.

Were the men wearing jackets -or dress slacks, shirts and ties without jackets for the most part? Just curious. I asked similar on the other thread but this one speaks specifically to recent West Coast, which is what we will be doing in September.

Welcome back to cruising and congratulations on your 30th wedding anniversary. :champagne-toast: :)

Tony

We just disembarked the Ruby Princess round trip Seattle cruise on July 7th. My DH wore slacks, sport coat (he tends to feel cold in the MDR), collared shirt and tie. Our son wore slacks, collared shirt and tie and our son in law wore slacks, vest, collared shirt and tie. I wore a tea length skirt and sparkly blouse both nights. Our daughter and daughter in law both wore nice dresses. I don't think we saw a single tuxedo or full length gown in our section of the MDR.

Bummer. I don't wear a tux but I do wear a dark suit and a tie.
But Alaska is much more casual than other cruises. My last cruise was a 10 day Eastern Caribbean on the Royal with two formal nights and the majority of passengers did their best to at least wear Sunday Best. I did see some tuxes, most men were in suits and tie. On formal nights I wear full length dresses, but those of us who did were in the minority. The majority of women wore nice cocktail dresses, long skirts with fancy tops or nice pant suits. So keep packing your dark suit!

Well we did get a Club class mini suite and it came with the sip and sail package for this cruise. We decided to go all out for our 30th. I see that not many people wear formal stuff anymore on the cruises I noticed that when we last cruised I think I was one of only 4 others that had on a tux. Might just have to wear a nice sport coat oh well did want to dress to impress :cool:

Edited by dantesab