Sending luggage from port to airport in Vancouver

snoodqueen

And the fee is quite high. Has relatives in a group of 5 that wanted to do that and it was about $50.00 per bag. That would have been well over what they were willing to pay. But it may be your best option for your situation.

There is a per bag fee plus a flat fee to ship your entire lot to YVR. I believe the latter is CA$40. They do take US$--at par.

But do not count on having time to drop them off there prior to your ship's excursion. My flight was at 2:45 so I figured the cost was fair even for only a couple hours wandering the waterfront with a very early lunch before taking the Skytrain to YVR. But all I can say is that if you have a deadline to meet a private tour, forget about it. I got in line for the bag drop window at around 9:45 after finally finding my bags in the unsigned random sections of the baggage claim hall--and an hour later the line had barely moved, other than the port security moving us around to snake through the queues that were set up for the long-gone ship's transfers. By 10:30 those of us waiting to drop bags were the only ones left in the hall--at least 250+ in line for ONE PERSON working the window. I had seen two persons in the window at first, but one left and never returned (probably cowering in the "washroom" [stupid Canadian euphemism for toilet] after taking in the crowd waiting for him).

The private company offering the Vancouver Place luggage service is called CDS Baggage. I was unable to find what time the window actually opens (links from the port webpage are invalid). But it better be more than an hour before you meet your tour, and you better be in line well before it opens. Or fuggetaboudit.

Your relative gave you very, very innaccurate info Potstech. It's $40 for the first FOUR bags, and $10 per extra bag after that. That price hasn't changed in several years. They will take USD at par (a really stupid move to pay in USD, even the worst possible credit card FTF is a better deal) but pricing is in CAD. The only way multiple folks traveling together could have paid $50 each is if they each checked 5 bags...

If it's a group of people with 4+ bags this effectively works out to $10 a bag, an insanely good bargain considering that just storing the bags at the pier is $8 apiece!

Edit - sorry for the redundancy, fishywood's post wasn't visible when I started typing.

They were quoted the price per bag. There were 6 people there and all said the same thing. 5 travellers and DD eho lives in Vancouver. This was just at the end of May this year.. Do not know why the discrepency but I believe them.

I just landed in Vancouver from the Golden. CDS charged me for 4 bags, $40.CA which

became $30US on my credit card which has no fees of any kind. My flight was at 6:30 which meant I had to have my bags at Alaska by 3:30. I told CDS 3:00pm. I should have

told them 2pm. They delivered the bags at about 3:10pm. Pretty good service.

Greg

I just landed in Vancouver from the Golden. CDS charged me for 4 bags, $40.CA which became $30US on my credit card which has no fees of any kind. My flight was at 6:30 which meant I had to have my bags at Alaska by 3:30. I told CDS 3:00pm. I should have told them 2pm. They delivered the bags at about 3:10pm. Pretty good service.

Greg

Thanks for confirmation of current pricing, and also good to know that they will deliver bags earlier than they used to - it used to be a firm 'we do not guarantee any bag arriving at YUVR before 4:30pm' policy, which meant flights at least 6:30pm or later were the only viable options (2 hours is usually plenty of time in the late afternoon to get through bag drop, security & CBP).

Unfortunately long queues, and what I presume had to be an idiot staff member from Potstechs report (that seems by far the likeliest way that 6 folks could all misunderstand pricing to that degree), will always be potential factors on the convenience/quality of service side of things.

There have been a couple of folks this year indicating they planned to use PorterGenie - a 'we come get your bags from you, store them, then deliver them again to whatever location you want' service - but I haven't seen any reports back as to whether they are on time, easy to find at the pier etc. They're definitely pricier than CDS unless you only have one or two bags, but hopefully we'll hear how they compare on the efficiency side of things soon.

We used CDS on May 26, 2018. They were slow to check the bags in, but we weren't in a hurry; certainly didn't take an hour, but maybe 15-20 minutes? Line was fairly short by the time we arrived. $40 for 4 bags; perfect for our group of 4 who wanted to walk to the park before heading to the airport for a 4:30 flight. They told us to pick the bag up at the international terminal, and even though I questioned them about that, they assured me it was. Of course when we got to the counter at the international terminal, staff laughed and said they had people all day showing up but it was the domestic terminal. So off we go to the other terminal. Only one person behind the counter and apparently the luggage isn't stored in any kind of order, as she would find one bag for a customer, but then go searching for a matching bag. That took far longer than checking the bag in, and there were only 2 people ahead of us. We had said we wanted our bags by 2; we actually got our bags about 2:30 but they were there by 2 or shortly after.

We used CDS on July 4th. We shipped seven bags for $53 USD ($70 CAN). The line took about 15 mins. The bags were at the Airport when we got there a little before 5pm. Had zero problems -- would recommend them.