Pier 91 in Seattle - Are There Shuttles to downtown Seattle

rayandshirl

On the September 23 cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver, I don't want to do any ship excursions. I want to spend my time at Pike Place Market and the glass museum. When we arrive at Pier 91, is there transportation at the port into Seattle?

Thanks a lot.:)

There is a downtown pier used by NCL that is very easy to walk to different downtown areas, but Princess docks north of the city and it would be much better to take a Taxi or Uber into town. Both are available at the pier. It may only be 3 miles, but isn’t particularly scenic, and a lot of it uphill!

Also, there is the Museum of Glass in Tacoma, which is about 35 miles away, and there is the Chihuly Garden and Glass Exhibit next to the Space Needle at the Seattle Center which is really close. Both are really good, but the Chihuly garden and Glass is probably what you want if you want to do the Market as well. If you do take a taxi or Uber, I would just tell them you want to go to the Space Needle, so there is no confusion, and that is the closest drop off point to the exhibit, at Seattle Center.

After seeing Chihuly, and maybe the Space Needle if a clear day, I would take the Monorail to Westlake and walk downhill to Pike Place Market. A taxi would be $10-15 from the pier and monorail is $2.50 pp.

There is a downtown pier used by NCL that is very easy to walk to different downtown areas, but Princess docks north of the city and it would be much better to take a Taxi or Uber into town. Both are available at the pier. It may only be 3 miles, but isn’t particularly scenic, and a lot of it uphill!

I agree. Save your energy, and not that scenic,take a Taxi or Uber to the Market.

I would take uber and give yourself extra time to walk to the ride share pick up area which .25 mile walk from the terminal exit. I was told in May it use to be closer to the terminal/taxi pick up area but it was moved. Not a bad walk, just don't request your pick up until your outside.

I stand corrected. I asked a similar question on TripAdvisor and was told that where we will be docking is the pier area I am familiar with and an easy walk. I am glad that you all corrected that information given me!

Pier 91 was open for 4 years before I realized it was there! I think, whoever responded wasn’t really familiar with the pier, or because traffic is so AWFUL in the city, was suggesting it because it’s usually faster to walk in Seattle and it would be doable, but not enjoyable.

I have family member’s with mobility issues, so I see “walkable” a little differently than others might. Seattle is very walkable if you are going north or south, but going east is uphill and west downhill, so can be challenging to those not used to hilly streets. The waterfront to 4th Ave is pretty steep, but 4th Ave to 6th Ave not too bad. This is based off of the complaints I get from my family from Phoenix :)!

I live next to the Space Needle, so I'd say your best, most scenic option is to take an Uber or Lyft to the Seattle Center (2 miles so a cheap fare), where the Chihuly Glass museum is located (as well as the Space Needle, science center, international fountain, and other pleasant sights). Then catch the monorail next to the Space Needle, and Pike Place Market is .3 miles from the downtown mall where the monorail arrives.

While there's a beautiful waterfront park leading from the Pier 91 entrance to the Olympic Sculpture Park and then downtown, it's difficult and somewhat dangerous to get out of the pier area on foot (and tourists who often walk there on the bike path risk collisions and the wrath of bikers). The waterfront is being torn up now for seawall restoration also.

If you have time and energy, you can go down to the waterfront from the Market (steep descent) and there's an aquarium, giant ferris wheel, and Ye Olde Curiosity Shop, which has a few mummified cowboys and other interesting things.

For food, I highly recommend Pike Place Chowder at the Market, where you can get a 4-cup chowder sampler with bread for $10 or so.

Planing a 4:00 pm flight out of Seattle the day my cruise returns. Will use the luggage valet and wanting to visit the Chihuly Glass Museum and Pike Market and then take the train to the airport. Which is better to visit first and which is easier to get to the light rail when we need to get to the airport?

If you have time and energy, you can go down to the waterfront from the Market (steep descent) and there's an aquarium, giant ferris wheel, and Ye Olde Curiosity Shop, which has a few mummified cowboys and other interesting things.

When we were in Seattle on July 8 (after disembarking an Alaska cruise) we (me, daughter, son-in-law and almost 3 1/2 year old granddaughter in a stroller) caught the parking garage elevator on the main floor of the market down to the ground level and just crossed the street to the aquarium. After the aquarium and walking a little ways north along the waterfront path to see the NCL ship preparing to depart at pier 66 we crossed the street and took another elevator up to street level. It worked like a charm - it was quick and saved one of us maneuvering the stroller up and down the hill.

Uber, Lyft or taxi. Taxi cost us $12 + tip to get from Pier 91 to our hotel at 2nd and Virginia on disembarkation day but that was at 9-10am on a Saturday and pretty much everyone else was going to SEATAC

We found Lyft to be less expensive than Uber and you will get plenty of discount/promo codes when you sign up