Christmas season

kevlangton

Our cruise disembarks in San Juan on Christmas Eve and we (me, my wife, and my parents) will be staying for a few days in San Juan. I know Christmas is a big deal that lasts a while in PR, so I'm excited to be there then. Are there any holiday events that we should definitely check out (we're there through the 28th)? Any restaurants that are known for great Christmas/Christmas meals?

On an unrelated note, we have a rental car reserved and would like to explore the island some, within reason for an island rebuilding from Maria. We would plan to stay on major roads, but are there places we should avoid because of washed out roads etc? I'm considering possibly driving south toward Ponce or possibly even all the way to Cabo Rojo, or driving the north coast toward Rincon.

Thanks for any advice!

• 8 months later...

For food, you must eat Pernil, which is roasted pork served during Christmas. Con tostones, aroz con gandules, and you have a classic Holiday feast. At least to me.

I can confirm that the road to Ponce is good, and Ponce itself is in fine shape. Just got back from there last weekend. Can't help with the other locations, as we just go to see family. Hopefully by Christmas the coconut shortage will be over, and you will be able to have the best coconut ice cream in the world at Kings Cream (in the Ponce Plaza).

edit- just noticed that I'm replying to a 6 month old post. But it's up to date for July 2018 for the roads.

For food, you must eat Pernil, which is roasted pork served during Christmas. Con tostones, aroz con gandules, and you have a classic Holiday feast. At least to me.

I can confirm that the road to Ponce is good, and Ponce itself is in fine shape. Just got back from there last weekend. Can't help with the other locations, as we just go to see family. Hopefully by Christmas the coconut shortage will be over, and you will be able to have the best coconut ice cream in the world at Kings Cream (in the Ponce Plaza).

edit- just noticed that I'm replying to a 6 month old post. But it's up to date for July 2018 for the roads.

I don't mind that you replied!!! So, there's a coconut shortage?

I don't mind that you replied!!! So, there's a coconut shortage?

Yes, there are so few coconuts that there is no fresh coconut ice cream on the northern islands. The best of the best coconut ice cream is not available in Ponce.