Things NOT to do while in Grand Turks?

LongHill44

To be honest, going to the beach. Whenever I get off the ship, I go to the right and sit in the chairs off the beach, under the palm trees, which are much quieter. But I am one who enjoys a quiet beach, so Grand Turk doesn't appeal to me given it's loud and party atmosphere. I would recommend sitting towards the right, away from the shops and bars, to enjoy a more relaxed beach day. I have thoroughly enjoyed Grand Turk when I spent the day at the quiet beach, but I will not get off the ship anymore if I am not going to the quiet beach. The empty ship is just as good.

Don't rent chairs from the locals that put their chairs in front of the Cruise Center Chairs (Green umbrella that says Grand Turk Cruise Center.) The Green Umbella chairs and back all the way to the pool are free. The locals charge $25 for for their 2 chairs (most stolen from Carnival-the same as the free chairs) and umbrella . They will be waiting for you when you arrive on the beach. Don't fall for their scam and use the Carnival provided free chairs with the Green Umbrella.

Don't rent chairs from the locals that put their chairs in front of the Cruise Center Chairs (Green umbrella that says Grand Turk Cruise Center.) The Green Umbella chairs and back all the way to the pool are free. The locals charge $25 for for their 2 chairs (most stolen from Carnival-the same as the free chairs) and umbrella . They will be waiting for you when you arrive on the beach. Don't fall for their scam and use the Carnival provided free chairs with the Green Umbrella.

thank u for that information

To be honest, going to the beach. Whenever I get off the ship, I go to the right and sit in the chairs off the beach, under the palm trees, which are much quieter. But I am one who enjoys a quiet beach, so Grand Turk doesn't appeal to me given it's loud and party atmosphere. I would recommend sitting towards the right, away from the shops and bars, to enjoy a more relaxed beach day. I have thoroughly enjoyed Grand Turk when I spent the day at the quiet beach, but I will not get off the ship anymore if I am not going to the quiet beach. The empty ship is just as good.

The further you go down the beach the more empty and quieter it becomes.

Wonder why the authorities allow them to do this?

If you rent a golf cart and want a quiet time on the beach, get away from the ship crowd at the port and go down to Governor's Beach. It's usually empty. If you want food and loungers, then ride up to Jack's Shack. While there are people there, they have food/drink/loungers/umbrellas and the ship crowd isn't there.

I was thinking Jack's was only about a quarter mile. Oh well, it's been a while since we've been there - looking forward to going back in May. We like it down there, as the bottom is more sandy than right there to the left of the ship. We went horseback riding once through Sunset and enjoyed it a lot.

I was thinking Jack's was only about a quarter mile. Oh well, it's been a while since we've been there - looking forward to going back in May. We like it down there, as the bottom is more sandy than right there to the left of the ship. We went horseback riding once through Sunset and enjoyed it a lot.

Jack's isn't quite a half mile.

2sah3c9.png

Our 3rd trip we rented a golf cart for the day. We drove to the light house and around the "town". Really not much to see and we liked the beach area better at port. We probably only kept it a couple hours and then took it back and went to the beach. Margaritaville had spendy food so we walked back to ship when we were hungry.

Was it really that far?
Did this walk a couple weeks ago with my wife and four kids, including a three year old. Not short, but not unbearable, and we are not anywhere close to an active family. The jerk chicken is worth twice the distance, not to mention significantly less crowding on the beach. Just watch out for the boat launch nearby, locate away from that and you're good to go.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

authorities of what? they do this at many Caribbean beaches, very common to rent chairs and umbrellas.

But since Carnival owns the chairs you would think they would object to people taking them and selling usage of it.

Carnival should have some power here

The first time I did Grand Turk, I got off the ship. While it was pretty, and nice to see, that was about it. Crowded and really not very appealing but it was OK.

In the times since, if the ship docks there, I stay on board...much more relaxing.

Don’t do a carnival snorkel excursion if you like to snorkel without many other people bumping into you and a rushed experience with no guaranteed sightings. Pure fluff, take your equipment and do it on your own at governors beach

Agreed. I bring my own snorkeling gear...as far as I'm concerned that is THE reason why mankind invented the drop-bottom rolling duffle. :D

You need not go as far as Governor's Beach for good snorkeling. 3 weeks ago I found that there is now quite a bit of fish-life out near the safety line between Margaritaville and Jack's Shack, in 15 feet of water or so, then dropping down to around 40 feet deep. Look for the sunken cannon and anchor, plus there's a very short underwater cave about 20 feet down you can swim through. (I didn't, since I didn't have a spotter with me. :halo: )