Is Great Bay Beach nice?

Lalory77

St Maarten is a port we will be stopping at for the day on our Carnival cruise in December. Trying to decide whether to book an excursion or take the water taxi over to Great Bay Beach. Can anyone advise on how the beach there is? Is the water and sand nice? Is it a beach that you could snorkel at? Any advice will be appreciated :)

St Maarten is a port we will be stopping at for the day on our Carnival cruise in December. Trying to decide whether to book an excursion or take the water taxi over to Great Bay Beach. Can anyone advise on how the beach there is? Is the water and sand nice? Is it a beach that you could snorkel at? Any advice will be appreciated :)

If going to Great Bay, check the weather forecast aka effluent report. Sand okay, beach has deep runoff in places, sea can be choppy, nothing decent to see when snorkelling, lots of hastle from bed vendors, just trying to make a living.

If you must visit GB, off the ferry at town centre, turn left and keep walking (away from potential effluent) to the beach section with the pink umbrellas. Either use them (pay at bar behind) or one section before, as it is quieter.

Better to consider the America's Cup Race.

If going to Great Bay, check the weather forecast aka effluent report. Sand okay, beach has deep runoff in places, sea can be choppy, nothing decent to see when snorkelling, lots of hastle from bed vendors, just trying to make a living.

If you must visit GB, off the ferry at town centre, turn left and keep walking (away from potential effluent) to the beach section with the pink umbrellas. Either use them (pay at bar behind) or one section before, as it is quieter.

Better to consider the America's Cup Race.

Thanks PORT ROYAL! I was really wanting to do America's Cup Race, but was told they are down due to the hurricane and won't be back up and running until either late August, September or October. The hurricane destroyed their boats. Is that true? I have went to their website as well.

America’s Cup is down, but if it is expected to be running again by December it should already be offered as an excursion through Carnival. If it is not showing, keep checking because they might be waiting for a more definite date. I was able to book it through Royal Caribbean for my March sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks PORT ROYAL! I was really wanting to do America's Cup Race, but was told they are down due to the hurricane and won't be back up and running until either late August, September or October. The hurricane destroyed their boats. Is that true? I have went to their website as well.

Yes, the yachts were damaged, but believe well insured.

We are booked with friends via QV for November 2018, as friends have it at the top of their bucket list.

Just keep checking their web on a daily basis, or telephone to register your interest. They will appreciate your personal call.

Wish you luck. A photograph when actually helming is a must. You'll be amazed how powerful the yacht is.