Amsterdam - 10:55am flight to US after cruise?

Disclaimer: there are other posts about this topic but nothing recent and nothing with actual experiences.

I am trying to book a flight back to JFK after our HAL Norway cruise this June. Because I procrastinated getting our flights, booking the 1:25pm flight to JFK is very expensive and the next best option for a non-stop is a 10:55am. I know from having returned to AMS on our British Isles cruise last year that there is no immigration to go thru since we're staying in the EU. The cruise claims to arrive at 7am. Based on my experience, if we walk our luggage off the ship and get a taxi, I think we should be OK with the 10:55am flight. Does anyone have any first-hand experiences that this will or won't work?

Yes that Will workshop. Be off the ship as soon as possible. Either take a cab, or train to the airport.

Thanks, I decided to book it. Doing the 1:25pm flight was $250 more per person. I think that HAL allows flights starting at 11am, so 5 minutes isn't going to make a lot of difference.

• 5 months later...

Since I started this thread I figured I should report back on my experience. Short answer: we made it with plenty of time to spare. We walked off the ship with our luggage at 7:15am. Tried to get an Uber but the price jumped between the time I opened it and when I was able to request a ride, so we decided to go with a regular taxi instead, particularly because we had another couple we had met onboard who were on the same flight. The taxi wasn't cheap, over 60 euros but at least we split the cost. Got to the airport before 8 and the lines for US check-in were terrible. The cool luggage check machines they have were running very slow because there is a problem with the conveyor belt that is supposed to send luggage to the planes. Instead there were guys collecting at after it was processed by the machine and they were very slow, leading to the machines not reopening immediately after they processed a bag. However, even with the delays we were thru security and in the terminal at 8:45 (at which point we were denied entrance to the Aspire lounge with my Priority Pass card, which really pissed me off). Reading this I am surprised that we actually made it thru the check-in mess in an hour, but I know I checked my watch when we didn't get into the lounge and it was 8:45.

Anyway, bottom line is it can be done. If I realized I'd definitely be off the ship and in the terminal by 7:30, I would have pre-booked with one of the taxi companies and saved a bunch of money. Oh well.

We are sailing on the Brilliance 8/11/19 to 8/23 and I am afraid of chancing the 10:55 to JFK. The flights are not out until this September so I am just getting info. The itinerary includes Russia so will we have to go through any immigration control at the port? The afternoon flights back to JFK seem to all be Delta/KLM code share. Looks like with KLM we have to book our flight and then go back to select and pay for our seats? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you! Karen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you provide more information on the cruise port you are arriving at? What is the scheduled arrival time?

Chandris Britains 1987

Admiral Stardancer 1988

Disney Magic 1998

Disney Wonder 1998

Can you provide more information on the cruise port you are arriving at? What is the scheduled arrival time?

Chandris Britains 1987

Admiral Stardancer 1988

Disney Magic 1998

Disney Wonder 1998

We are scheduled to disembark in Amsterdam with a 6:00am arrival

We are scheduled to disembark in Amsterdam with a 6:00am arrival
Expect to go through customs. Russia is not part of the Shengen Agreement. Plus, Schipol sometimes has additional screening at the departure gate. Why risk it?

Chandris Britains 1987

Admiral Stardancer 1988

Disney Magic 1998

Disney Wonder 1998

Expect to go through customs. Russia is not part of the Shengen Agreement. Plus, Schipol sometimes has additional screening at the departure gate. Why risk it?

Chandris Britains 1987

Admiral Stardancer 1988

Disney Magic 1998

Disney Wonder 1998

Thanks for the great advice......afternoon flight makes sense

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2018 at 1:32 AM, MisterBill99 said:

Since I started this thread I figured I should report back on my experience. Short answer: we made it with plenty of time to spare. We walked off the ship with our luggage at 7:15am. Tried to get an Uber but the price jumped between the time I opened it and when I was able to request a ride, so we decided to go with a regular taxi instead, particularly because we had another couple we had met onboard who were on the same flight. The taxi wasn't cheap, over 60 euros but at least we split the cost. Got to the airport before 8 and the lines for US check-in were terrible. The cool luggage check machines they have were running very slow because there is a problem with the conveyor belt that is supposed to send luggage to the planes. Instead there were guys collecting at after it was processed by the machine and they were very slow, leading to the machines not reopening immediately after they processed a bag. However, even with the delays we were thru security and in the terminal at 8:45 (at which point we were denied entrance to the Aspire lounge with my Priority Pass card, which really pissed me off). Reading this I am surprised that we actually made it thru the check-in mess in an hour, but I know I checked my watch when we didn't get into the lounge and it was 8:45.

Anyway, bottom line is it can be done. If I realized I'd definitely be off the ship and in the terminal by 7:30, I would have pre-booked with one of the taxi companies and saved a bunch of money. Oh well.

thank you letting us know how it is was getting off the ship.