Ladies, share your tips on how you get ready for dinner

Due to chemo treatments, my previously thick coarse hair is now baby fine and thin (see my scalp thin). Looking for products that add body and volume. Suggestions anyone? I keep it cut very short and it dries almost as fast as I exit the shower.

Bumble & Bumble has some excellent thickening products. The shampoo & conditioner is great & the styling foam is exceptional. I get them at Sephora & now at Ulta.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bumble & Bumble has some excellent thickening products. The shampoo & conditioner is great & the styling foam is exceptional. I get them at Sephora & now at Ulta.

Thank you so much. Will try.

I have thick, shoulder-ish length hair that's wavy if unstyled (not in a good way, more like frizzy, straight in spots, curls where it wants to).

I am normally one to get all dolled up on the cruise w full makeup, hair straightened etc (to make myself feel good) ... but it I find about halfway through the cruise, I am generally ready to be a little more relaxed. (Not to mention tired of the time it all takes lol).

So I pare it down to a bit of concealer, do my brows, and mascara and lip gloss. By then I have some color so I am feeling good:) for my hair, if I am letting it air dry (or just wearing as is after pool or beach) I just put it into a loose ponytail or a twist.

Probably not too surprisingly, some of my favorite cruise photos are like dusk time, on our balcony or in the cabin, with my hair down, sort of loose, beachy and windblown :)

Due to chemo treatments, my previously thick coarse hair is now baby fine and thin (see my scalp thin). Looking for products that add body and volume. Suggestions anyone? I keep it cut very short and it dries almost as fast as I exit the shower.

Depends on how you style your hair, but I really like L'Anza products. You can get them at Ulta, but I often order them online at JCPenney (often a better deal w/JCP coupons etc). Also sold at Salons that use the products.

ULTA

https://www.ulta.com/brand/lanza

JCPENNEY

https://www.jcpenney.com/s/lanza-lanza/N-5kg?Ntt=l%27anza

Everyone is different, obviously, but I've found that their gel doesn't make my hair frizzy, gives me great volume etc.

https://www.ulta.com/healing-volume-zero-weight-gel?productId=xlsImpprod10111990

And their mousse is great too.

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/l-anza-healing-style-design-foam-7-1-oz-/pp5005740126?pTmplType=regular&catId=SearchResults&searchTerm=l%27anza&productGridView=medium&N=7216

• 2 weeks later...

I do love it! I was underwhelmed at first because I didn’t like the way she styled it at the end. She only blow dried with a round brush and really made it turn under a lot at the ends so I looked like I was straight out of 1995, plus she didn’t flat iron, but after getting home and straightening a bit, I love how it looks and the texture.

I started getting Brazilian blowouts, best thing I ever did. I can let my hair air dry and it looks presentable. If I blast it with a blow dryer I get the look of a professional blow out. And it dries so much quicker. Plus, I feel like it’s actually good for my hair since I don’t use any product anymore, and now much less heat than I used to.

So I just washed and dried my own hair for the first time since I got my Brazilian blowout. This. Is. Magic. It was dry within about 5 minutes with a blow dryer, and I only had to run a flat iron over my ends. I’m really going to make an effort to wash my hair as infrequently as I can and use the right products to make this last as long as possible. Why do I have to love expensive things?

So I just washed and dried my own hair for the first time since I got my Brazilian blowout. This. Is. Magic. It was dry within about 5 minutes with a blow dryer, and I only had to run a flat iron over my ends. I’m really going to make an effort to wash my hair as infrequently as I can and use the right products to make this last as long as possible. Why do I have to love expensive things?

It’s seriously magic, isn’t it?? I was so sure my hair dresser was lying to me. He said to me “you think you’re so special, that it works for 1000s of women, but your hair is so special that it won’t work for you?” It’s really something else.

You can usually get a deal on Groupon depending on your city. I live in NY, and can usually find a deal for about $100-150, which isn’t too bad for something that is such a game changer and you only odo it every few months.

I like Kristin Ess Instant Lift Thickening Spray, sold at Target. It works like mousse for giving volume, but in a spray.

Thanks everyone for recommendations for volume giving products. I am trying some I can find in small quantities to see what I like best. They really do make a difference in my thin limp hair. I would love to have my thick hair back again but it is what it is. I try to see the positive of it such as, it dries quickly, doesn't take much time to style, I do have some hair, and I am still here. :hearteyes: Thanks again!!!!

Barbel, I use Bumble & Bumble (available at Sephora & Ulta). They have thickening shampoo & conditioner & an amazing mousse. Best of all it comes in travel size. I wash my hair every day on a cruise (we normally cruise 14 days or more) & one container of each is more than enough for my hair. They will give you samples of the shampoo & conditioner at Sephora. Good luck & congratulations (35 years for me)

Thanks everyone for recommendations for volume giving products. I am trying some I can find in small quantities to see what I like best. They really do make a difference in my thin limp hair. I would love to have my thick hair back again but it is what it is. I try to see the positive of it such as, it dries quickly, doesn't take much time to style, I do have some hair, and I am still here. :hearteyes: Thanks again!!!!

I love your positive attitude:cool: . I suspect my thin/fine/limp hair is cooler too than my daughter's heavy/thick hair - so that's a plus too. There is almost always treasure to be found in any situation, I'm glad you are finding some too.

I have fairly thick straight chin length hair that must be washed daily. We do late dining. After shower, I sit on the balcony with a glass of wine and let it predry then only need five minutes with a round brush and dryer to finish.

This is my approach, also, although my hair is shoulder length and thick. I do use styling product and anti frizz product for the Caribbean. I alternate with dry shampoo & quick restyle with spray on the days my hair does not get wet with pool or sea.

We always take photos on the cruise and I like to look my best. If you are used to your hair "tools" and products at home, it shouldn't take long.

I generally shower and wash my hair every day before dinner on a cruise. Even if I don't get it wet in the pool, my hair has NO body and would look limp and blah by dinnertime, hence showering/styling every night before dinner.

Anyhow, I hate having to take forever to blow it dry so here's how I shorten the process:

1. After drying my body, I use a separate (i.e. completely dry) towel to wrap around my hair.

2. After a minute or so, I take off the towel and flip it around so the part that wasn't directly wrapped around my hair (i.e. the still pretty dry part of the towel) is now wrapped around hair, and I leave that for another minute or so. During this time I can do things like brush my teeth. (Sometimes I bring my absorbent hair wrap from home and use that)

3. I comb it out , bend over and briefly blow the underside for 30-45 sec, to really get the drying started, especially underneath where it won't get as much air exposure to air dry.

4. Then I do everything else possible to give it time to air dry as much as possible....Get at least partially dressed, put on make-up, straighten up the room, put what I need for evening in my wristlet, etc. I try to shower before my BF to give me some extra time. If needed I allow some extra time to just sit and relax, maybe check emails, whatever. This gives my hair as much time as possible to air dry, and reduces the time needed to blow dry.

5. Finish blowing dry, using my own hair dryer brought from home. The ones on ships are notoriously weak and take forever. I can do it much faster using my own dryer.

I have fine hair that is straight but not that wonderfully perfectly stright hair so every day is a battle and climates with humidity can be frustrating.

Step one: send DH to collect beverages and a plate of nibbles. Do not skip this step. :)

Aveda has a dry shampoo powder that is compact, non-aerosol, and amazing. When on a Hawaiian cruise, I put that in my hair after a shower (hair up in a shower cap) and worked it through with my fingers and a brush before setting it all in large hot rollers (Conair travel). By the time I had my face on, the ends were smooth, I had some volume, and my hair smelled great. The Aveda dry shampoo is the ultimate quick change weapon!

I have fine hair that is straight but not that wonderfully perfectly stright hair so every day is a battle and climates with humidity can be frustrating.

Step one: send DH to collect beverages and a plate of nibbles. Do not skip this step. :)

Aveda has a dry shampoo powder that is compact, non-aerosol, and amazing. When on a Hawaiian cruise, I put that in my hair after a shower (hair up in a shower cap) and worked it through with my fingers and a brush before setting it all in large hot rollers (Conair travel). By the time I had my face on, the ends were smooth, I had some volume, and my hair smelled great. The Aveda dry shampoo is the ultimate quick change weapon!

So that's what I've been missing:')

Thanks for the dry shampoo suggestion. My stylist uses it sometimes if my hair is too clean (aka fine/slippy) to hold any style. I might try some for our next cruise.

Have you ever tried a curling wand? Imagine a roughly one inch curling iron, but no clip. It takes some practice but I have thick frizzy hair and I look like the lion king in the summer without it. Using a hair oil, try OGX, available at any drug store, with a curl mousse. ( I like tre semme 24hr) rough blow dry, then touch up with the wand. I get beachycurls and tons of compliments. I finish with a sugar spray. Less dry then salt and smells awesome. Eyelash extensions and a bright lipgloss and you’re good!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I shower before dinner every night on a cruise. I can shower, wash and dry, style my hair and do my make up in 45 minutes. My hair has little body and I don't have a huge amount and zero curl. At home, I wash it every morning. I have to dry it upside down to give it any volume at all. Usually in the mornings on a cruise I use dry shampoo or just brush it and go since we're either in port in heat or sitting in the solarium (RCI). I'm not sure what I'll do in Oct on our Anthem NE and Canada cruise since heat and humidity won't be the issue at all. Probably the same, but with less sweating.

• 2 weeks later...

OP here, back from our cruise to report. I also went ahead and did an at-home, Brazilian blowout-like treatment (the product name is Uncurly) and it was a game changer! I was in shock with how much less time it took to dry and style. It also helped me keep my vibrant red hair color in place the entire cruise (it's usually significantly faded by the 2nd wash) and it stayed straight through everything! Beach, sweat, Caribbean humidity...Usually the moment I set foot in my home country Puerto Rico my hair instantly becomes a puff ball- not this time! Didn't even get the little baby hair curlies I usually get. And it feels sooo soft!

The negatives: it does feel a bit limp at the top, though I'm sure that can be fixed with some volumizing powder. I had to cut a bunch of it cut off because I apparently messed up my ends (probably overdid the flat iron while applying the treatment). And, although it says it is temporary and should wash out in around 3 months, I fear I might have permanently destroyed my curls, which means I'll be back to going through that awful top-curly, bottom straight phase that will force me to have to blow dry straight forever. But overall I'm still glad I did it. I got to enjoy my cruise much more and relax while still feeling good about myself.

The before

43295255014_55454c88a2_z.jpg

The after:

After a day at the beach in St Marteen (granted I didn't dip my head in the water- but it was hot!)

30145273018_b15ce2a531_z.jpg

In PR

42204389740_9b3d1443c3_z.jpg

43107402665_bba7c4a733_z.jpg

In the cruise

42204389880_67eb0be5bc_z.jpg

43107402735_9c7e873847_z.jpg

Have you ever tried a curling wand? Imagine a roughly one inch curling iron, but no clip. It takes some practice but I have thick frizzy hair and I look like the lion king in the summer without it. Using a hair oil, try OGX, available at any drug store, with a curl mousse. ( I like tre semme 24hr) rough blow dry, then touch up with the wand. I get beachycurls and tons of compliments. I finish with a sugar spray. Less dry then salt and smells awesome. Eyelash extensions and a bright lipgloss and you’re good!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is the style I use when it's humid or hot as it is a waste of time for me to try and straighten my hair. However, I didn't invest in a special wand I just use a regular 1 inch curling iron but I don't open the clip part I just wrap my hair around it...done in 20-30 mins! Much less than straightening

I also have Bed Head's "deep wave artist" and love it too. So quick and easy

OP here, back from our cruise to report. I also went ahead and did an at-home, Brazilian blowout-like treatment (the product name is Uncurly) and it was a game changer! I was in shock with how much less time it took to dry and style. It also helped me keep my vibrant red hair color in place the entire cruise (it's usually significantly faded by the 2nd wash) and it stayed straight through everything! Beach, sweat, Caribbean humidity...Usually the moment I set foot in my home country Puerto Rico my hair instantly becomes a puff ball- not this time! Didn't even get the little baby hair curlies I usually get. And it feels sooo soft!

The negatives: it does feel a bit limp at the top, though I'm sure that can be fixed with some volumizing powder. I had to cut a bunch of it cut off because I apparently messed up my ends (probably overdid the flat iron while applying the treatment). And, although it says it is temporary and should wash out in around 3 months, I fear I might have permanently destroyed my curls, which means I'll be back to going through that awful top-curly, bottom straight phase that will force me to have to blow dry straight forever. But overall I'm still glad I did it. I got to enjoy my cruise much more and relax while still feeling good about myself.

The before

43295255014_55454c88a2_z.jpg

The after:

After a day at the beach in St Marteen (granted I didn't dip my head in the water- but it was hot!)

30145273018_b15ce2a531_z.jpg

In PR

42204389740_9b3d1443c3_z.jpg

43107402665_bba7c4a733_z.jpg

In the cruise

42204389880_67eb0be5bc_z.jpg

43107402735_9c7e873847_z.jpg

You look amazing! I like your hair both curly and straight. I have never heard of the product you posted but the reviews on amazon were good. I was getting Brazilian straight professionally but I started to miss my curls so I am currently in that half curly bottom straight thus I have to style my hair every day. I've been tempted so many times to just give up and go back to the salon and get it done again.

If this product really is temporary (the reviews suggest it is) I would love to try it! How is your hair when you get out of the shower and air dry? With the professional treatment my hair was pretty good and I would just run and electric heated brush through it a few times and be ready

If this product really is temporary (the reviews suggest it is) I would love to try it! How is your hair when you get out of the shower and air dry? With the professional treatment my hair was pretty good and I would just run and electric heated brush through it a few times and be ready

Thank you :)

When I get out of the shower it still doesn't show any kind of curl pattern (hence why I'm afraid about the permanency). I basically blow my hairdryer loosely around my entire head until it's almost fully dry. By then it dries straight but not completely smooth. I then do a final blow-dry by sections to get the full smoothness.