Running on the Land Portion of a Princess Cruisetour

horselady218

So I'm training for a fall race and I have mapped out runs in Anchorage, Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway, but was wondering what my options are at Denali and McKinley lodges. It sounds like running outside (in bear country) may not be the best idea and I haven't been able to determine what type (if any) exercise equipment these hotels might have. Does anyone know if there are cardio machines available or safe running trails? Thanks.

So I'm training for a fall race and I have mapped out runs in Anchorage, Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway, but was wondering what my options are at Denali and McKinley lodges. It sounds like running outside (in bear country) may not be the best idea and I haven't been able to determine what type (if any) exercise equipment these hotels might have. Does anyone know if there are cardio machines available or safe running trails? Thanks.

We stayed in Denali area on our land tour with RCI, and it looked to be fairly safe to run in that area (glitter gulch), and if you want hills, the driveway up the Grand Denali Lodge (just down road from Princess Lodges) is a killer - but I would say, you do not want to run at night. Was not in McKinley area, so cannot comment. We also stayed in Talketna, and they did have bear warnings posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At Denali , you could easily run along the road into the park as far as you want. All the way to Savage River- 16 miles. The road is wide open, with decent viewing, and it is busy with a lot of bus traffic. You could catch the Savage River Shuttle bus at any point. Several trails as well. Have you looked at the http://www.nps.gov/dena ??? Frankly essential you do, all your information. A side- are there reports of Princess refunding the tour buses this season? Huge savings, if you take advantage.

As for the McKinley Lodge. only short little trails. I'd suggest you just run the driveway a few times, and perhaps along the Parks??

You MUST be noisy, in my opinion. I don't find bells repetitive or loud enough. So, I shake an empty soda can with pebbles inside. Changing loud sounds.

No guarantees in Alaska, always ask staff for their advice and what the wildlife activity has been . I'm more concerned with moose, and only bike, on the Kincaid/ section of the Coastal trail as example, my preferences only.