Self service laundry

amandaepperson21

What’s in the self serve laundry room? We will be on the Caribbean princess, but I’d imagine they’re all pretty similar. Do they have an iron? Steamer? Washer/dryer? Detergent? Do you pay with change or do you swipe your card?

No on the steamer and yes on the rest. You use tokens which you buy from a machine in the laundry room by swiping your cruise card (or buying from passenger services if the machine is empty or out of service).

What’s in the self serve laundry room? We will be on the Caribbean princess, but I’d imagine they’re all pretty similar. Do they have an iron? Steamer? Washer/dryer? Detergent? Do you pay with change or do you swipe your card?

I have never noticed a steamer, but they do have a couple irons and ironing boards. There is detergent and fabric softener available for purchase (but I always bring my own). Recently I have had to swipe my card in the laundry room to obtain tokens, and then use the tokens in the machines. It seems they are quick to run out of tokens, so if that happens I go to another laundry room, on another deck, to see if tokens are available there. Some people have said if you can get tokens, you should get as many as you think you will need throughout the cruise.

Using the laundry is a nuisance, but great instead of over-packing. If, as we did, you get too many tokens, you can take them to the customer service desk and turn them in. I feel like they check to see that you bought them before trading the money back into your account. Those combo washer-soap and dryer fabric softener sheets save money and are easy to pack. You don't need to take a whole pack - just one or two.

Plan ahead to avoid the logical laundry times - the few washers/dryers get busy - and plan to be back before your loads are done, otherwise, surprise.

Above each machine (we were on the star) is an estimated wash and dry time so you can plan accordingly for when to return and remove your items. Thankfully I returned 10-15 minutes early just to check as I found both to end earlier than expected. I went at 9 pm and was able to do two loads at once.

Using the laundry is a nuisance, but great instead of over-packing. If, as we did, you get too many tokens, you can take them to the customer service desk and turn them in. I feel like they check to see that you bought them before trading the money back into your account. Those combo washer-soap and dryer fabric softener sheets save money and are easy to pack. You don't need to take a whole pack - just one or two.

Plan ahead to avoid the logical laundry times - the few washers/dryers get busy - and plan to be back before your loads are done, otherwise, surprise.

Tell me more about those combo packs. I've never seen or heard of them and they sound wonderful.

People who buy so many tokens in advance that they have need to return them for a refund at cruise end are probably directly responsible for creating the situation they are attempting to guard against, the lack of available tokens.