Gluten Free on Princess Ships and Excursions

flourpot

Hi all, I have cruised with Princess many times (I think I'm at 17 now) and I've never had anything out of the ordinary (medical wise) to deal with. I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease (gluten/wheat allergy in simpler terms), and am wondering how Princess is with dealing with that. I searched on here, but the most recent info I could find was from 2013, and I'm hoping someone has cruised gluten free since then and can give me some info.

My main questions are:

- Are there certain gf items that are on board that I should ask about?

- Are there specific gf items that I can get at breakfast (toast, muffins, English muffins, waffles, pancakes, etc.) or dinner (rolls, sauces, etc.)?

- Will I be able to get gf pizza, burgers, sausages, etc. out at the grill on the pool deck?

- What do I do when the restaurant is closed? Do I go to the buffet? How does that work without getting cross contaminated?

- What do I do when I have booked an excursion through Princess with a meal included? Do I just skip the meal and bring a protein bar or will Princess accommodate me on an excursion as well?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

:-)

Bonnie

The pizza out by the pool can be made with a gluten free crust. It takes a little longer to get since they make it especially for you. I can't comment on anything else as I've just observed people ordering their pizzas.

The pizza out by the pool can be made with a gluten free crust. It takes a little longer to get since they make it especially for you. I can't comment on anything else as I've just observed people ordering their pizzas.

Thanks for the info!

They are good with special diets. Talk to the Matre d' as soon as possible after boarding so they are aware of your needs. This is not an unusual condition or diet, so they are quite familiar with it. It is obviously easier with traditional dining than any time, but any time will just delay your food a little. At breakfast and lunch sit downs, let the head server know when you enter the room and let the server know in case the message didn't get relayed.

You can have gluten free rolls, breads, sauces, etc. As to the buffet, they will typically walk thru the buffet with you and go to the back to get whatever you indicate you want so there is no risk of cross contamination (they get it from a fresh container which has not been out on the buffet.)

Excursions, unfortunately you are on your own. In some ports it is illegal to take food from the ship. Others allow packaged food but nothing fresh, and some don't care. I'd suggest you bring some protein bars or other packaged food for just those occasions...if you can get something on land, that's great. If not, you'll have something to eat until you get back to the ship.

They are good with special diets. Talk to the Matre d' as soon as possible after boarding so they are aware of your needs. This is not an unusual condition or diet' date=' so they are quite familiar with it. It is obviously easier with traditional dining than any time, but any time will just delay your food a little. At breakfast and lunch sit downs, let the head server know when you enter the room and let the server know in case the message didn't get relayed.

You can have gluten free rolls, breads, sauces, etc. As to the buffet, they will typically walk thru the buffet with you and go to the back to get whatever you indicate you want so there is no risk of cross contamination (they get it from a fresh container which has not been out on the buffet.)

Excursions, unfortunately you are on your own. In some ports it is illegal to take food from the ship. Others allow packaged food but nothing fresh, and some don't care. I'd suggest you bring some protein bars or other packaged food for just those occasions...if you can get something on land, that's great. If not, you'll have something to eat until you get back to the ship.[/quote']

Thank you so much for your input! :-)

Make sure you notify special needs of your dietary requirements ahead of time. There is a link on the Cruise Personalizer. I was diagnosed 9 years ago and have done 3 Princess, several Carnival and several RCCL cruises since. Princess and Carnival were the best at providing me with food throughout the week. DH went GF when I had to and now he gets sick when he eats gluten, and has been diagnosed with NCGS (non celiac gluten sensitity). Princess does a nice job in the MDR. We have always had one of the head waiters come to our table to discuss the following night's menu with us. They were able to provide a wide variety, but many entrees will not have a sauce of any kind on it, so often kind of dry. Some have been better than others at organizing desserts besides the inevitable fruit plate, creme brulee or ice cream. We had some really good apple pie on one ship and some interesting mousses on another.

Their GF bread is pretty good - just bread slices at dinner, no rolls. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with a yeast allergy so I can no longer eat it, but my husband enjoys it. As for the pizza, you have to tell them at dinner the night before if you want it the following day up on deck, unlike Carnival who has it available all the time.

The International Cafe usually has a couple of GF items and they are marked as such. The buffet usually had one GF dessert. We had very good luck in Sabatini's and Crown Grill, but advise them when you make the reservation that you are GF so they have the GF pasta and GF bread on hand. We have not yet eaten at Share, so I don't know how or if they handle GF requests. As for breakfast items, we don't eat pancakes, muffins and such, just eggs, which are naturally GF, so I can't comment on those. I do know on Carnival we had to tell them at dinner that the grandkids wanted GF pancakes the next morning. Darn genetic disease - both kids and grandkids also tested positive after I was diagnosed so our entire family is now GF.

Edited by DebJ14

Food allergies are the primary reason we prefer cruising. We don't have any experience with Princess yet, but Carnival was great with my wife's dairy allergy. She would order the night before for the MDR and in the buffet she would have food specifically cooked for her (I.e. Omelettes). We did a specialty dinning one night and spoke with the hostess the day prior to make sure everyone was aware. Most items were not am issue, but it took some convincing to cook escargot without butter. In the end my wife ended up with a bowl full of snails and it is a meal she will remember for ever. In short on the ship they are pretty great at handling this.

Off the ship via excursions is another story. We would talk to the tour guide and try to make sure something was available. Sometimes it worked out great other times less. Be sure to have some sort of back up snack.

Desserts can be difficult, but their were a few good surprises for my wife. She is always said when the option is fruit or sorbet.

This year we will be doing Princess for the first time for her so it will be interesting to see how they handle the dairy and gluten allergy she now has. I am sure we will report back if it is poor, but that is not our expectations. Be sure to note it in the cruise personalizer and princess will reach out to you.

For excursions my daughter prints out explanations of gluten free items in the local language from the Celiac Foundation website.

Although you buy excursions through Princess, they are not ruin by them and so they cannot control the food that is served.

All the Cruise lines can handle GF options for you (Princess is very good at GF). You will not have the same selection as everyone else, but they will have a range of good selections for you.

International Cafe's - Alas maybe the jello is GF - everything else has some sort of wheat products.

MDR - Go to the MDR as soon has you get on board. Ask to speak to the Maitre d and explain that you are Celiac (actually say GF not Celiac). They will give you the evenings menu, and your choices for the evening. Every evening you will be given (if not ask for it) for the next night and you get to pick your meals in advance.

Horizon court - Ask to speak to a chef and see what your choices are. The selection will be limited, but they do have a number of things you can eat.

Crab Shack (if offered) - Almost everything was GF, and very yummy.

Excursions - You will be limited depending on the excursion, and it is tough to tell what you will get. Bring some power bars to get you over the hunger hump if there is no food.

NOTE: you cannot bring any food off the ship (unless it is a pre-wrapped item ie: power bar). Most countries are VERY sticky about bringing off fruit, or food stuff's.

You will be in good hands.

Edited by Valiamo

As for the pizza, you have to tell them at dinner the night before if you want it the following day up on deck, unlike Carnival who has it available all the time.

I've seen several people walk up to the pizza on Princess, ask about gluten free, and they cook an individual one right then for them. They just have to wait for a little bit while it cooks. Plenty of folks don't order the pizza the night before.

Edited by idahospud

At the HC Talk to one of the head waiters or Head Lido chef about what is safe to eat. Be careful of cross-contamination.

OP I'm finding it ironic that you're allergic to gluten. :):):)

We have other allergies and have had success eating onshore. Going to non-English speaking countries we take allergy cards. I've made our own but you can order from selectwisely.com.

Edited by SadieN

At the HC Talk to one of the head waiters or Head Lido chef about what is safe to eat. Be careful of cross-contamination.

OP I'm finding it ironic that you're allergic to gluten. :):):)

We have other allergies and have had success eating onshore. Going to non-English speaking countries we take allergy cards. I've made our own but you can order from selectwisely.com.

Haha! Sadie, I hadn't noticed my name on here being gluten-FUL. That's pretty funny. Maybe it was a sign of what was to come. ;-)

last year I was on a Princess cruise with some excursions that included meals. I talked with the shore excursion desk and they were able to request gluten free meals for me with the excursion provider. I identified myself to the guide and reminded them that I required a gluten free meal and I was always provided something to eat.

Haha! Sadie, I hadn't noticed my name on here being gluten-FUL. That's pretty funny. Maybe it was a sign of what was to come. ;-)

I also noticed your name vs gluten allergy. Thought it might be wishful thinking on your part!!!!

Let them know before you cruise, then let your head waiter know on first night...not that I'd wish food allergies or intolerances on anyone, but we were really fortunate that the HW who looked after us our first night had lots of problems himself - so was particularly understanding.

I'm wheat intolerant, amongst other things, and they were fantastic with me...they actually have GF bread that is edible. Not sure about muffins, crumpets, etc, as my preferred breakfast is fruit (they did also have a GF cornflake kind of thing in buffet...unfortunately they were stale the twice I tried them) but they had my warm bread sitting on our table at dinner every night. Equally not sure about meat products as I don't eat them.

Pizza - you have to give 24h notice as they prepare the base specially - and sadly after looking forward to my pizza for a couple of days, a single bite was so foul in both taste and texture it had me gagging :(

Any pasta meals in the MDR - if you speak to HW the night before, you can request it be made with GF pasta...nothing spectacular, just a fairly standard GF spaghetti, but quite edible.

Just let the shore x manager know which shore x you have booked that include meals and what your allergy is. They can usually notify the vendor and get a "special" meal for you. Generally it looks and tastes better than the food the others eat because it was not made in "mass" but especially for you. Good luck and enjoy.

While watching a program recently that included doctors talking about Gluten free foods, they mentioned that only those suffering from "Celiacs" Disease should eat Gluten free. They stressed that for All others it can actually be harmful.

And all this time I thought it was a vegan thing!:)

I've seen gluten free desserts in the buffet along with gluten free breads. You should contact guest services with your issue. I believe there's a section on your cruise personalizer where you can address your dietary needs. It's doubtful you'll get special attention on excursions that provides a meal. I must watch my carb intake. However, food venues that provide for everyone do not take this into consideration. I don't expect to be treated any different. I have to learn to pick and choose and many times go without.

I've seen several people walk up to the pizza on Princess, ask about gluten free, and they cook an individual one right then for them. They just have to wait for a little bit while it cooks. Plenty of folks don't order the pizza the night before.

My experience with Princess is that if I wanted GF Pizza from the "deck", I was told to order it, 24 hrs before.

If I wanted GF pizza from Horizon Court, I just asked for it, and it would take between 15 to 20 minutes. They aren't always happy when you ask during the "rush hour", but they will do it, regardless. By the way, their GF pizza is quite good (I am very picky)

I have been diagnosed 11years and in that time done about 17 cruises with Princess. They have improved year on year the quality and choice of foods available. I have never failed to get gluten free on an excursion any where in the world. Just tell the excursion desk as early as possible and let the guide know who you are as someone once stole my food because they had not ordered gluten free but expected the maître de to pass it onto the excursion desk.

So far I've always been able to get GF muffins at the IC. They are quite tasty. You have to ask for them as they are not displayed. Sometimes you have to wait while they are retrieved from the main kitchen.

So far I've always been able to get GF muffins at the IC. They are quite tasty. You have to ask for them as they are not displayed. Sometimes you have to wait while they are retrieved from the main kitchen.

Careful! We did this at Horizon Court and they confused gluten-free with sugar-free muffins. The same mistake happened at breakfast in the dining room. If you have Celiac disease this can be a big problem.

However, except for these two instances, (both involving breakfast muffins), Princess has been fantastic. We rarely eat at the buffet due to cross-contamination issues. Alfredo's, the main dining room, the international cafe, and Sabatini's have been great. Ask for a fruit basket for your room.