Non Refundable Deposits on "sale" cruises

cruisingram1

I haven't been cruise shopping in a while, (and thus have been away from these boards) but booked a cruise on Princess for the first time in a while the other day. The "sale" price deposit was non-refundable. One does not book a cruise with the intention of cancelling, but "life" happens.. especially after you have many years of "life" under one's belt. Spoke to travel agent and found out that if I pay more (about $140) I have the ability to cancel and get my deposit back. Is this now typical of Princess booking, or did I just hit at a bad time? The deposit was 10% of the trip - about $260. I ended up paying the extra money, but have second thoughts about insuring the deposit ($260) for the additional cost of $140. I used a next cruise certificate so would lose it.. and the OBC that came with it which also has value. Just curious if this is how all cruise lines are handling reservations, or just Princess. I know as you get closer to one's cruise date there are penalty periods, but this is 9 months out.

Some Princess sales have nonrefundable deposits, and some Princess sales have fully refundable deposits. It is always stated in the conditions of the sale.

I don't understand what you meant by a "next cruise certificate". Did you mean a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD)?

If you each booked with a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD), then the deposit was one FCD per person - not 10% of the cruise fare. If you cancel before final payment, you would lose the FCDs ($100 per person) - not 10% of the cruise fare.

All the cruise lines seem to be playing these shenanigans, at least the mainstream lines. Right now I'm trying to compare some cruises on HAL and Carnival, and you really need to understand what you're booking and the associated risks.

Roz

Sent from my LGL58VL using Forums mobile app

I haven't been cruise shopping in a while, (and thus have been away from these boards) but booked a cruise on Princess for the first time in a while the other day. The "sale" price deposit was non-refundable. One does not book a cruise with the intention of cancelling, but "life" happens.. especially after you have many years of "life" under one's belt. Spoke to travel agent and found out that if I pay more (about $140) I have the ability to cancel and get my deposit back. Is this now typical of Princess booking, or did I just hit at a bad time? The deposit was 10% of the trip - about $260. I ended up paying the extra money, but have second thoughts about insuring the deposit ($260) for the additional cost of $140. I used a next cruise certificate so would lose it.. and the OBC that came with it which also has value. Just curious if this is how all cruise lines are handling reservations

Some cruise lines are more Draconian...deposits are nonrefundable...PERIOD

I didn't quite follow all of that. You seemed to state that you used a Future Cruise Deposit. FCDs cost $100, so if you cancel, you'd lose that $100. If there are 2 on the booking and 2 FCDs, you'd lose a total of $200, if you cancel.

Sooo, which is it? FCD for 1 or 2? Or a straight deposit? Or a combination?

Yep, very typical with most of the cruise lines now. You can pay more and get a refundable deposit or get the lower rate with a non-refundable deposit. If you choose the later, then it's best to get insurance in case you need to cancel. I just paid $200 the other day with Celebrity because we changed sail dates to 2 weeks later - didn't even cancel - but still had to pay that fee because we didn't buy insurance.

I haven't been cruise shopping in a while, (and thus have been away from these boards) but booked a cruise on Princess for the first time in a while the other day. The "sale" price deposit was non-refundable. One does not book a cruise with the intention of cancelling, but "life" happens.. especially after you have many years of "life" under one's belt. Spoke to travel agent and found out that if I pay more (about $140) I have the ability to cancel and get my deposit back. Is this now typical of Princess booking, or did I just hit at a bad time? The deposit was 10% of the trip - about $260. I ended up paying the extra money, but have second thoughts about insuring the deposit ($260) for the additional cost of $140. I used a next cruise certificate so would lose it.. and the OBC that came with it which also has value. Just curious if this is how all cruise lines are handling reservations, or just Princess. I know as you get closer to one's cruise date there are penalty periods, but this is 9 months out.

I think you booked under the Time Away Promo. The fine print is 10% deposit which is not refundable. Princess normally will not change this regardless of what is paid.

I think what your T.A. is referring is either the purchase of insurance which will allow you to recover the entire fare including the deposit for a qualified reason, or depending on the insurance purchased for any reason, or maybe booking without the promo and thus you will require a larger refundable deposit. You really have to ask the T.A. exactly what they are referencing.

Yes.. I was planning on using a Future Cruise Certificate. One for me and one for my husband. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the $100 amount cited on the FCC for each was to be used TOWARDS the deposit, not THE deposit. (Says normal deposit is 10% of fare) That could well be my misinterpretation and the loss would only be $200, not $260 and the OBC associated with it. I guess that makes it worse.. I paid $140 to insure $200. :eek: I think the "sale" ends in a few days so I will check prices and see what it costs after the sale. I assume there is no penalty to reprice since my deposit is refundable.

I always buy insurance to cover cancellations after final payment. I am Emerald so Princess insurance defaults to premium. But that insurance does not cover the deposit. I know because I lost a FCC deposit last year when I had to cancel BEFORE final payment was due. Don't want to do that again.

Yep, very typical with most of the cruise lines now. You can pay more and get a refundable deposit or get the lower rate with a non-refundable deposit. If you choose the later, then it's best to get insurance in case you need to cancel. I just paid $200 the other day with Celebrity because we changed sail dates to 2 weeks later - didn't even cancel - but still had to pay that fee because we didn't buy insurance.

Gosh that would irk me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All the cruise lines seem to be playing these shenanigans, at least the mainstream lines. Right now I'm trying to compare some cruises on HAL and Carnival, and you really need to understand what you're booking and the associated risks.

Roz

Sent from my LGL58VL using Forums mobile app

It's the new travel industry practice. Airlines, cruise lines and hotels are all doing it. No complaint though since it is entirely up to you to decide what works for you.

It's the new travel industry practice. Airlines, cruise lines and hotels are all doing it. No complaint though since it is entirely up to you to decide what works for you.

If you can understand the fine print. It ain't easy, especially for people without little or no travel experience.

Roz

From past experience, when booking a cruise on Princess, your FCC becomes your deposit. If you cancel, they refund you the $100, you don't lose it. What you do lose would be the OBC.

This is true if you book with a refundable deposit. If the deposit is non-refundable, you lose the $100 you paid for the certificate as well as any OBC you may have gained by using it.

Non-refundable deposits are good only for the cruise lines--they discourage people from booking cruises that they "might" be interested in and filling inventory that way...making cabins unavailable to people who really plan to be on the ship on that date. However, particularly for those of us who can't predict what life will be like 18 months from now....well, I won't book a non-refundable deposit. If that means that I don't book a cruise, so be it.

Yes.. I was planning on using a Future Cruise Certificate. One for me and one for my husband. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the $100 amount cited on the FCC for each was to be used TOWARDS the deposit, not THE deposit. (Says normal deposit is 10% of fare) That could well be my misinterpretation and the loss would only be $200, not $260 and the OBC associated with it. I guess that makes it worse.. I paid $140 to insure $200. :eek: I think the "sale" ends in a few days so I will check prices and see what it costs after the sale. I assume there is no penalty to reprice since my deposit is refundable.

I always buy insurance to cover cancellations after final payment. I am Emerald so Princess insurance defaults to premium. But that insurance does not cover the deposit. I know because I lost a FCC deposit last year when I had to cancel BEFORE final payment was due. Don't want to do that again.

I believe you are using a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD), which you purchased for $100 on a previous cruise. If so, then that is the complete deposit (not 10%). If the deposit on the promotion is nonrefundable, then you would lose the FCD.

Note that you could receive a Future Cruise Certificate (FCC) for various reasons, including cancelling a cruise under the Cancel for Any Reason provisions on Princess Vacation Protection. A FCC that is not a purchased FCD cannot be used to pay a deposit.

Insurance does cover a deposit if you cancel before final payment. However, that only applies if you have purchased the insurance. If you select Princess Vacation Protection when you book but do not pay for it until final payment, then you have not purchased it yet.

Since Princess Vacation Protection is fully refundable before final payment, you would generally be better off if you cancel before final payment (even for a covered reason) to cancel the Princess Vacation Protection (for a refund) and lose the $100 deposit than to keep the Princess Vacation Protection and get reimbursed for the $100 deposit.

That is one advantage of Princess Vacation Protection over third party trip insurance. If you cancel your cruise before final payment, you receive a full refund for Princess Vacation Protection. With third party trip insurance, you do not receive a refund for the insurance.

That is one advantage of Princess Vacation Protection over third party trip insurance. If you cancel your cruise before final payment, you receive a full refund for Princess Vacation Protection. With third party trip insurance, you do not receive a refund for the insurance.

This is true, but some third party insurance will allow you to move it ONCE to another cruise if you cancel before final payment date. Read the fine print.

I definitely misunderstood the deposit amount. I assumed the 10% figure overrode the value of the FCC as the total deposit. So that is good to know for future reservations. I have purchased FCC on all my cruises and will continue to do so.

I did, in fact, have to cancel a previous cruise that I made with a FCC and knew the deposit (and accompanying OBC) was non-refundable. It was a chance I took knowingly. I added insurance through Princess and cancelled BEFORE final payment was due. I knew I would lose the FCC ($100 each) but was surprised that Princess tried to keep the cost of the PVP even though it was prior to final payment. My TA had to push to get them not to charge me for the insurance. If the insurance was good at the time, then it should have covered my deposit.. which it didn't. I hate having to always read the super fine print. The big stuff should be out in the open and easy to understand. At least the non-refundable part was out in the open.. last time it was on a page just prior to booking. That said.. you all are always so helpful so thanks for the insights!

PS.. I was told that my PVP insurance would not cover a non-refundable deposit - at any point. I suspect this might be a situation where different reps give you different answers.

They following RCL. It's a shame.

It certainly is making me start looking at land vacations again, one reason I came back to cruising was the refundable deposit at 75 days, but most lines now have changed it to 90......

I like the OP, looked at a Princess sailing recently with a very good rate..and was disappointed to see the non-refundable deposit. Needless to say I did not book.

Carnival is bringing Panorama out to Long Beach, CA in 2020, the first new ship in Southern CA in 20 years.....On their newer ships they have "cove" balconies, low to the water. I wanted to try one.

Promo gng was $75pp deposit if canceled $50 of that can be used towards a future sailing or something like that. I ended up booking a cove cabin for $30 more pp and put down a 250.pp deposit ...just so I could cancel before final payment....what's wrong with this picture......:confused:

Edited by land lover

They following RCL. It's a shame.

I wonder if the deposit was more than $100 people would be less likely to book on a lark? I’d rather have to put out more up front and be able to cancel without penalty than a small deposit that I’ll lose. Or perhaps set up a fair time frame that one will lose deposit. Just like they do with final payments. I’m sure if bookings go down they will reassess non refundable deposits.

I laugh when cruise lines that normally require a 20% deposit offer a "special" of 10% deposit and act like it is some sort of a deal. It does make a little more sense on Princess where overall costs are lower, but if paying the deposit poses a financial hardship, how is someone supposed to be able to pay for the vacation? I guess some people are looking forward to a bonus or some such event, but there is also more cost associated with a cruise vacation than just the cost of the cruise ticket.

The cruise lines can do as they wish. A non-refundable deposit will not be one that I book.

Wouldn't the insurance have cost you more than $200?

I definitely misunderstood the deposit amount. I assumed the 10% figure overrode the value of the FCC as the total deposit. So that is good to know for future reservations. I have purchased FCC on all my cruises and will continue to do so.

I did, in fact, have to cancel a previous cruise that I made with a FCC and knew the deposit (and accompanying OBC) was non-refundable. It was a chance I took knowingly. I added insurance through Princess and cancelled BEFORE final payment was due. I knew I would lose the FCC ($100 each) but was surprised that Princess tried to keep the cost of the PVP even though it was prior to final payment. My TA had to push to get them not to charge me for the insurance. If the insurance was good at the time, then it should have covered my deposit.. which it didn't. I hate having to always read the super fine print. The big stuff should be out in the open and easy to understand. At least the non-refundable part was out in the open.. last time it was on a page just prior to booking. That said.. you all are always so helpful so thanks for the insights!

PS.. I was told that my PVP insurance would not cover a non-refundable deposit - at any point. I suspect this might be a situation where different reps give you different answers.

For the non-refundable deposits where the FCC is used as a deposit, our TA has recommended not buying insurance until the payment in full is made, as the cost/benefit of insuring the deposit isn't that good. She then manages the booking such that the Princess Insurance does not have its premium paid until that time. (she is a good TA).

I understand that you are also weighing the total value of the FCC (e.g. $100 total deposit PLUS OBC) when looking at whether to insure or not. I think one has to consider the FCC as $100 of your money invested, plus however much OBC Princess provides as a gift with no value until onboard. Thinking that way helps to minimize the pain of loss if you cancel. The same goes for any other perks that are part of the deal that has the non-refundable deposit - e.g. drink packages or OBC. They help defray your cost when onboard, but prior to the cruise have no value.

Yup... they push the boundaries of what's legal when it comes to marketing. Read the fine print.

The 'ideal' pax is a dopamine-addicted idiot staring at his/her phone ordering 'extras' while they try to find their way back to their stateroom.

Edited by Bill B

...but if paying the deposit poses a financial hardship' date=' how is someone supposed to be able to pay for the vacation?[/quote']

They're not. They use their MasterCard to 'pay off' the VISA. ;):rolleyes: