Discovery 2 - Exotic Explorer 2/1/18

Anyone interested in doing an independent trip in Guatemala to Quirigua Mayan Ruins & Jade Museum on 5/1/18? I researched until I'm blue in face looking for reputable tours and happyfishtravel.com have good feedback from North American cruisers. I contacted them about this particular tour and was advised minimum 9 persons needed and its $65pp (about £49). We are the only 2 so far. They meet you at Santo Tomas cruise terminal and appear very reliable. They do other tours as well and I assume the same criteria applies.The link is http://www.happyfishtravel.com/…/quirigua-mayan-ruins-jade-…. I don't think the web enquiry form worked for me so I tried again I got a reply from the email address:kleiberth@happyfishtravel.com if anyone is interested try that email address firstsafe_image.php?d=AQCKPNMeUFtaXp32&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.happyfishtravel.com%2Fimages%2FBanerSantoTomas%2Frio-dulce.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQCv8JtS9lP0AC7p

Quirigua Mayan Ruins & Jade Museum

Visiting Guatemala by cruise ship. Take a look of our shore excursions and get a customized service.

happyfishtravel.com

We are also doing this cruise but a month after you. Leave for Jamaica 30/01/2018 and join Discovery 2 that day. I read the good reviews about this tour operator but my Internet Security (NORTON) advised against visiting their web page so that has sounded alarm bells. I have read from various sources that there are a number of tour operators selling their wares in the 'shed' on the dock and that the local tourist authorities INGUAT are on hand to ensure you don't get ripped off. See http://www.whatsinport.com. Having said that looking at comparing price and itinerary the ships prices compare favourably with the local agents however the big advantage for us is a small group and probably a more personalised tour with a local agent.

We are using a local agent in Belize and still thinking about a local agent in Santo Tomas

Thanks for that I would be worried too if I thought a site may be dodgy. I have had 3 comments on facebook indicating an interest but doesnt look like I will reach 9 persons so may well just book the ship tour to the castle. I dont like leaving things to last minute and was aware of the Tourism authority being on hand in the shed. Can you tell me who you have in Belize as I couldnt find anything there?

In Belize we are doing a private tour with King David Castillo Belize Tours (localguideinbelize@gmail.com) and he has excellent scores on TripAdvisor. 390 reviews with 98% giving excellent. The tour we are doing is a private tour so slightly more expensive than the ship but exclusive to us and personalized to us. His standard group tours compare favourably with ship prices but his group tours would be a maximum of 11 people.

For Trujillo it seems as if everything is within walking distance although there appears that some enterprising local offers a 'hop on hop off' tour for $20 and Roatan the beach is next to the dock again walkable or via the chair ride.

I would be worried about this cruise because of the two stops in honduars {very dangerous country} in fact cant believe tui are going there. At the moment there is a gov.warning uk stating only essential travel to the country. Very worried about stopping there, in san paulo you have the murder capital of the WORLD.

I Have been to Roatan 3 times and its lovely and I didn't feel in danger at all Trujillo is on the coast and has lots of cruise visitors and even though I haven't been I wouldn't be worried. We were once supposed to call in at Caracas which was cancelled due to cruise visitors being mugged and it hasn't been in any itineraries since. We also once were due to go to Martinique a few years ago which was also cancelled due to civil unrest but it's back on the itineries of cruise ships again now Don't worry TUI will look after us

In Belize we are doing a private tour with King David Castillo Belize Tours (localguideinbelize@gmail.com) and he has excellent scores on TripAdvisor. 390 reviews with 98% giving excellent. The tour we are doing is a private tour so slightly more expensive than the ship but exclusive to us and personalized to us. His standard group tours compare favourably with ship prices but his group tours would be a maximum of 11 people.

For Trujillo it seems as if everything is within walking distance although there appears that some enterprising local offers a 'hop on hop off' tour for $20 and Roatan the beach is next to the dock again walkable or via the chair ride.

Thanks for that I will check that tour out, yes I realise that Roatan and Trujillo are walkable and will do so despite the oddball posts added by a self confessed feather ruffler

Victor150 - I understand why you made this post but coastal cruise ports are generally safe in Central America I.e Cartegna Colombia, Limon Costa Rica, Belize City Belize and Trujillo and Roatan (island) in Honduras. I'm sure none of us would consider going inland unless on an organised trip. I have been to Panama and done the trip on the canal to Panama City twice but I wouldn't consider walking around there or in Colon. Another thing to consider is yellow fever, malaria etc when exploring inland more than a few miles from the coast. TUI would never offer a port which is dangerous without advising passengers as they did a couple of times in La Romana Dominican Republic when it was advised to only go out on organised trips

I also like your sense of humour

Thanks for your reply vitalsign.I am not trying to stir it and this may come as a surprise but i am booked on this cruise in february. I told the wife to book up for the carribean and left it to her, after doing some research i was all for cancelling it hence the posts with a little tongue in the cheek. I needed someone to reassure me and apart from a couple of oddball posts you have done that;)

Thanks for your reply vitalsign.I am not trying to stir it and this may come as a surprise but i am booked on this cruise in february. I told the wife to book up for the carribean and left it to her, after doing some research i was all for cancelling it hence the posts with a little tongue in the cheek. I needed someone to reassure me and apart from a couple of oddball posts you have done that;)

Just back from Exotic Explorer cruise. Nothing to worry about. You'll love it.

Roatan (Honduras) port was place called Mahogany Bay. Gorgeous beach, and small centre for tourists with shops/bars (selling usual souvenir tat!). Certainly nothing to worry about - all very friendly and welcoming.

Due to a storm closing in we didn't do the second Honduras port - and went to Mexico instead (Costa Maya)

Just back from Exotic Explorer cruise. Nothing to worry about. You'll love it.

Roatan (Honduras) port was place called Mahogany Bay. Gorgeous beach, and small centre for tourists with shops/bars (selling usual souvenir tat!). Certainly nothing to worry about - all very friendly and welcoming.

Due to a storm closing in we didn't do the second Honduras port - and went to Mexico instead (Costa Maya)

(y):D

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone interested in doing an independent trip in Guatemala to Quirigua Mayan Ruins & Jade Museum on 5/1/18? I researched until I'm blue in face looking for reputable tours and happyfishtravel.com have good feedback from North American cruisers. I contacted them about this particular tour and was advised minimum 9 persons needed and its $65pp (about £49). We are the only 2 so far. They meet you at Santo Tomas cruise terminal and appear very reliable. They do other tours as well and I assume the same criteria applies.The link is http://www.happyfishtravel.com/…/quirigua-mayan-ruins-jade-…. I don't think the web enquiry form worked for me so I tried again I got a reply from the email address:kleiberth@happyfishtravel.com if anyone is interested try that email address firstsafe_image.php?d=AQCKPNMeUFtaXp32&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.happyfishtravel.com%2Fimages%2FBanerSantoTomas%2Frio-dulce.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQCv8JtS9lP0AC7p

Quirigua Mayan Ruins & Jade Museum

Visiting Guatemala by cruise ship. Take a look of our shore excursions and get a customized service.

happyfishtravel.com

Hi

Sorry we didn't see this post earlier. We are on this cruise leaving 2/01/2018 and have booked with HappyFish. They accepted a booking for just 2 people without any query. I haven't paid anything up front - paying cash on the day - so hopefully its all ok. Did you get something booked?

Hi

Sorry we didn't see this post earlier. We are on this cruise leaving 2/01/2018 and have booked with HappyFish. They accepted a booking for just 2 people without any query. I haven't paid anything up front - paying cash on the day - so hopefully its all ok. Did you get something booked?

Hi is it same tour as they told me min 9 persons and no one else had shown interest as at 23 December? They offered another tour of the Rio Dolce canyon but wasn't really suitable for us so I just booked the castle tour from Tui to be on safe side. It can still be cancelled if give them notice on ship.