Cost of drinks on Millennium

davidk800

As this is going to be our first cruise with Celebrity is the drinks package worth having.

Our cruise is part of a TA deal includes extra days before and after the cruise but didn't include a drinks package.

The drinks package seems very expensive,but the drinks onboard seem very expensive as well plus the 18% service charge.

Is it worth buying the drinks package?

Could you give an idea on actual drinks prices.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Most run of the mill cocktails are in the $8 to $9 range as are the cheapest wines by the glass. The low end beers are around $6 or $7. Some specialty cocktails cost around $12. Plus the 18% gratuity.

The Classic Beverage Package standard cost is $55+18% per person per day and includes alcoholic beverages up to $9 per glass (if you have the Classic a $12 cocktail will cost you an additional (12-9) x 1.18 = $3.54) And it also includes $5 specialty coffees, $1 or $2 bottled water and $4 or $5 sodas.

The value of the package is a very personal thing. For me a typical day without the package would be one specialty coffee and one glass of wine with dinner - a total of only $14 plus 18% But when I have the package, it's more like two specialty coffees, one bottle of water, a glass of wine with lunch, an afternoon cocktail, two glasses of wine with dinner and an after dinner drink - about $55 plus 18%! So should I value the package for what I would pay without it or for the costs of the drinks I enjoy with it??? Probably the true value to me is somewhere in between.

I have never purchased a package directly, but I have made decisions between fares with and without the beverage perk - evaluating the effective cost of the beverage perk. Three examples of the effective cost for the beverage perk were $19, $30 and $50 per person per day. I chose the higher fares when the effective price was only $19 or $30 but took the lower fare when the effective price was $50.

One non-monetary value of the package is the convenience of not having to sign a receipt for each drink and for having the sommelier topping off your glass without asking.

Sometimes there are sales on the packages. We got 50% off the premium package on our last cruise on the Millie when we bought pre-cruise during a sale.Without the sale, we probably would not buy the package, but it was nice not having to sign everytime you get a drink or a bottle of water. Really depends on how much you drink. We figured we needed at least 7 glasses of wine or cocktails per day per person to make it a bargain. I would have a hard time getting what I consider "satisfactory" wine with an $8 limit, But at $13 it was OK. DW, on the other hand, would have been fine with $8 Chardonnay.