'Twas the Week Before Christmas - Live from the Eurodam

POA1

Just want to say thanks to you, POA, for all the cabana information and maps you provided here on your thread. You were instrumental in helping us select and book a Retreat cabana for our Alaska Eurodam cruise last week. We booked Mykonos for the entire week (yes, we live dangerously, an outside cabana in Alaska!) and it was perfect for us. My sister could take photos to her hear's content because there was no plexiglass in the way, the views were spectacular as we could view both sides of the ship from our vantage point, and we used our cabana every day (blankets are provided in Alaska). Every cabana was booked on Glacier Bay day, but the other days it was only us, or perhaps one other couple. Needless to say, with two cabana attendants on duty, the service was great :D

I always wondered if they rented the Retreat Cabanas in Alaska. I've heard calls from conflicting reports over the years. Glad it worked out. We're curious though... Did you still get bottled water? Daily Champagne? I suppose you didn't have to worry about the chocolate on your chocolate dipped strawberries melting.

I always wondered if they rented the Retreat Cabanas in Alaska. I've heard calls from conflicting reports over the years. Glad it worked out. We're curious though... Did you still get bottled water? Daily Champagne? I suppose you didn't have to worry about the chocolate on your chocolate dipped strawberries melting.

We had bottled water, and even two little hand-held fans, where you pushed a button to make the little blades turn (!!!!?????):p We were offered a large bowl of fresh fruit daily, and on a couple of occasions sparkling wine or a mimosa, but we never saw the chocolate covered strawberries. However, we never spent the entire day there, just part of every day, so maybe we missed some extras, like any ice cream and popsicles;p However, the attendants couldn't have been kinder. I will say we had to eat any hot food brought up to us very quickly, because when the ship was moving that food cooled off fast!:D

• 2 months later...
Subscribing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As much as I appreciate the "Subscribing," I don't think there will be a lot of new information in this thread. We've been home 234 days and there's not a lot to add. (Of course, this will show up as a new post to the thread. I'd hate for you to be completely disappointed.)

• 3 weeks later...

Please let me add my thanks for such an informative review! I've been looking at an 18-day cruise on HAL on the Eurodam but was concerned about the HAL stereotype of rolling up the carpet at 10pm. This review has put my mind at ease that there are plenty of places I will enjoy on the ship. And add me to the Cabana contingent! As a solo traveler, it's a giant pain to try to keep a seat- everytime I get up to go the restroom I'm risking my stuff being moved for someone to claim my chair. Having a reserved spot in the shade sounds like heaven to me.

As much as I appreciate the "Subscribing," I don't think there will be a lot of new information in this thread. We've been home 234 days and there's not a lot to add. (Of course, this will show up as a new post to the thread. I'd hate for you to be completely disappointed.)

Nor is there even any reason to post the annoying "Subscribing" message, since you can just click on "Thread Tools" and subscribe to the thread without announcing it to the world (and now, of course, I am guilty of doing the same thing, posting a useless message that subscribers to the thread will be alerted to read).

• 2 months later...
In addition to updating our research on the Signature Beverage Package and refreshing Poohby Joe's Guide to Cabana Living, we've identified a number of pressing issues that need to be addressed. If you can think of any others, please feel free to ask. We'll put one of our highly trained research associates on the case to get you the answer pronto.

Items of Vast Import That We Have Identified:

• Lido Sandwiches: Premade only? Made to Order? Some combination thereof? What about chicken, egg, or tuna salads? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Half Moon Cay Lobster Shack: What's the deal with that? Menu? Photos?
  • Dueling Pianos: Do they duel with swords or pistols?
  • Lincoln Center Stage: How does it compare with the Explorer's Lounge/Adagio Duo? Is it still "the" hotspot for post-dinner cordials and pre-bedtime snoozes?
  • Culinary Arts Center: Is America's Test Kitchen up and running? If not, is there a Quiz Kitchen?
  • B.B. King All Stars: Are they playing a holiday set?
  • Gala Nights: What's the percentage breakdown of Tuxedos, Suits, Jacket & Tie, Jacket Only, Collared Shirt & Slacks? Are the collared shirts button front or polo style? Are the Gala Night baseball caps dressier than other nights? (I'm thinking sequined Yankees logo.)
  • Promenade Deck: Are people walking in the correct direction, or is it an unruly free-for-all? Teeming masses of humanity, wandering willy-nilly in different directions at different velocities, like so many drunken dyslexic salmon trying to swim down or upstream to spawn?
  • Prunes: Are they readily available? Is there a Prunacolada Drink of the Day? Are evil forces trying to pass prunes off as dates?
  • Shows: Any not to be missed?
  • Internet Service: Costs, Plans & Speeds
  • Interactive TVs: Do they watch you while you're sleeping?
  • Room Service Special Requests: Can DW get her write-in chocolate croissant, or is it the end of the world as we know it?
  • Dancing: Are there a lot of venues where I can, but absolutely will not dance?
  • Stateroom Lights: Do we need to put a card in a slot to keep them on?

I'll be honest. We've got a pretty full plate investigation-wise. But, if you have something you'd like to know, please ask.

I hope you are still checking your thread. It was stunning, by the way. Given your sense of humor and mine if we ever cruised together death by laughter would probably result. My question (and I scoured your post but did not fine your answer) relates to Stateroom Lights. Do they require a card in the slot to keep them on? We are cruising on Eurodam in July 2018 and I'm curious. The ship will be in Dry Dock at the beginning of April so perhaps the slots will be added then if the don't already exist. Sorry to hear you will be cruising on NCL the next time (terrible cruise line) but I hope it works out well for you. Cheers to you and to DW and Poohby Joe.

dmg1956

I don't recall the lights needing a card, but my wife says that she thinks it did. I'd be inclined to trust her.

We always save some old hotel key cards to use just in case we encounter the "energy saver" feature. I just leave the card in the slot and pull it part way out when we leave the room. All it's doing is pressing a little switch in the slot to turn on the power.

I recommend saving hotel key cards from your nicer lodging establishments. A key from The Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, or Waldorf-Astoria will show your room steward that you are used to the finer things - and perhaps it's just an oversight that you left the key in the lights. ;) An expired McDonald's gift card doesn't convey the same message.

If you do need the card, be aware that most of the outlets power off when the card is not in. That's important to remember if you are trying to charge things. There are some USB outlets. I think they stay powered on regardless.

Thanks for your kind words about my scribblings. Have a great cruise. The Eurodam is a lovely ship.

I knew this would be a good read, so I saved it all the way since last Christmas to read just prior to our upcoming Christmas cruise. And now I see you already have another one up! Thank you for the excellent entertainment!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the compliment! We preferred the Eurodam to NCL's Escape, but the Escape had much, much better internet.

Have a great Christmas cruise!

I don't recall the lights needing a card, but my wife says that she thinks it did. I'd be inclined to trust her.

We always save some old hotel key cards to use just in case we encounter the "energy saver" feature. I just leave the card in the slot and pull it part way out when we leave the room. All it's doing is pressing a little switch in the slot to turn on the power.

I recommend saving hotel key cards from your nicer lodging establishments. A key from The Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, or Waldorf-Astoria will show your room steward that you are used to the finer things - and perhaps it's just an oversight that you left the key in the lights. ;) An expired McDonald's gift card doesn't convey the same message.

If you do need the card, be aware that most of the outlets power off when the card is not in. That's important to remember if you are trying to charge things. There are some USB outlets. I think they stay powered on regardless.

Thanks for your kind words about my scribblings. Have a great cruise. The Eurodam is a lovely ship.

I believe it's only the NA and koningsdam that require you have a card in the slot to keep the power on.

Ok, thx. I was on the ship in the spring and don't recall having to use a card. Must be my advanced age :D.
Just take an old hotel card or expired gift card and you're covered either way. We keep several in our travel wallets because you're starting to see the card-operated switches in more and more places. We just needed them on the NCL Escape in October

I believe it's only the NA and koningsdam that require you have a card in the slot to keep the power on.
We were on the E'dam in January and did not need a card to activate our lighting. Just got off of the NA and it does require a card, but any card will do.

We were on the E'dam in January and did not need a card to activate our lighting. Just got off of the NA and it does require a card, but any card will do.
I wonder if it depends on the room category? Perhaps just the suites? In any case, the extra plastic card probably won't put your luggage over limit.

I wonder if it depends on the room category? Perhaps just the suites? In any case, the extra plastic card probably won't put your luggage over limit.
We were in Neptunes both trips. I left my health insurance card in the slot all week then put it back in my wallet as we left to disembark.

We were on the Hawaii Eurodam 2017. Signature Suite.. no room key needed for lights.. wonderful trip!!
As I said, I couldn't remember but my wife said she thought there were. You'll have to forgive me if I don't press the point and say, "Neener, Neener."

• 11 months later...

OMGosh...the belly laughs on this thread...saving 15% on Geico would not have made me pee my pants more. So glad you trust your wife and thrilled to hear the robes are not actually made from waffles.Love the details you shared about the cabanas. It appears you are a much more savy cruiser than myself and Im hoping you can help me. Im ready to pull the trigger on a 22 day Koningsdam: Ft. Lauderdale to Rome and have never experienced cabana living...if you were to look at the cabana layout (from your graciously shared brochure) which cabana would you choose on the Koningsdam. We would not need the family size but do want to be able to see the water without being an obstructed view. I know this would only be your preference and can you tell me how late in the day they are open....after dark? light? thinking of early evening reading not 2 old folks rocking the boat late night. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to post such an incredible review