Do PandO get Norro?

AnOnymously

As we all know, Noro virus outbreaks are common in winter months among people in a closed environment - schools, hospitals, care homes and of course cruise ships. There are many people who never experience it, mainly I think because they take the care needed to always avoid the danger points, never shake hands with anyone, never put hand to mouth and as suggests here carry some strong wipes for hands and even cutlery.

Food poisoning is a red herring (intended pun) yes it certainly exists but is a separate issue and nothing to do with Noro virus outbreaks which have been known for years.

David

As we all know, Noro virus outbreaks are common in winter months among people in a closed environment - schools, hospitals, care homes and of course cruise ships. There are many people who never experience it, mainly I think because they take the care needed to always avoid the danger points, never shake hands with anyone, never put hand to mouth and as suggests here carry some strong wipes for hands and even cutlery.

Food poisoning is a red herring (intended pun) yes it certainly exists but is a separate issue and nothing to do with Noro virus outbreaks which have been known for years.

David

The one time my wife got Noro Virus was on Sea Princess when the CS shook her hand when we were disembarking and she was embarrassed to go back to the cabin to wash her hands in case she offended the CS.

Or because they don't do any of that, they just have a strong immune system.

P&O seemed to have totally given up on hygiene during our August cruise on Aurora. No staff squirting gel going into Freedom MDR, very few gel stands at either MDR or buffet and often empty (and not refilled despite me informing staff they were empty). We scrupulously used them when we could, or the hand-washing facilities, but most people entering the buffet/MDR at the same time didn't. Gel stand at the bottom of the gangway, but use not enforced on return to the ship.

Saw at least 2 female members of staff use public loos and leave without washing hands.

David

I always use a nail brush, at home and on holiday, to scrub my nails and under them very carefully and also to scrub my hands taking care to do so between the fingers. A tiny particle of dirt under ones nails can be very difficult to remove and one can see it, it is much more difficult to remove an invisible virus.

P&O seemed to have totally given up on hygiene during our August cruise on Aurora. No staff squirting gel going into Freedom MDR, very few gel stands at either MDR or buffet and often empty (and not refilled despite me informing staff they were empty). We scrupulously used them when we could, or the hand-washing facilities, but most people entering the buffet/MDR at the same time didn't. Gel stand at the bottom of the gangway, but use not enforced on return to the ship.

Saw at least 2 female members of staff use public loos and leave without washing hands.

The 2 female staff not washing their hands after using the toilet is gross and worrying.

Re the first part, I read on here a while back that P&O were trialling not insisting on passengers using gel on a ship, and found it actually improved the situation... with gel, some people relied too much on it and maybe didn’t wash their hands enough. Certainly on our last cruises we didn’t have gel offered and neither had any outbreak (certainly the case in May and June... and I can’t remember back to last Christmas) we washed our hands at the sinks to the buffet, and no gel in MDR

Re the second part, that is concerning. No excuse ever, to not wash their hands, and this is the case for anyone, crew or passenger

Re the second part, that is concerning. No excuse ever, to not wash their hands, and this is the case for anyone, crew or passenger

I said to one "Aren't you going to wash your hands?" and she glared at me and ignored me, the other was gone before I could say anything. Yes, I also recall a debate about whether the use of gel was actually effective - maybe it's not so necessary in the summer. After all, noro is also known as the "winter vomiting bug".

I posted earlier about our Ventura cruise re:noro virus, I'm pleased to say that after a week I am now feeling much better as is my husband.

I have to say that the hand washing/ gelling we did on board was very rigorous (two full happy birthdays at least):halo::halo:, by both of us, and we always attempt to keep our hands clear of stair rails etc, but we still succumbed, the first time in 12 years of cruising, so I believe its just being at the wrong place at the wrong time. but incidentally we did have a very persistent fly in our state room. just a thought. but it certainly may have contributed.

Or because they don't do any of that, they just have a strong immune system.

Indeed, that’s why some people never seem to catch anything. At the moment due to medical reasons my immune system is probably pretty shot at but normally I am one of the lucky ones. Sensible eating and drinking helps as well.

DAVID.