Helicopter/Dogsled -- Juneau or Skagway?

goin'toalaska

Sorry to post two "X or Y?" threads..but I need advice! We'd like to do a helicopter trip to a glacier and then dog sled. I did this a decade ago and it was awesome -- I think we went out of Skagway to the Denver glacier. I see there is also a trip offered out of Juneau to the Mendenhall Glacier. Does anyone know anything about which might be better? Including views from the copter, time with dogs, time on sled, etc.

I'd also love advice on whether we're safer booking for the morning or afternoon. Last time I know we went in the afternoon, and we did get fog on the way back that slowed our return a bit. Are we more likely to have fog problems in the morning or afternoon?

Thanks so much for any advice.

• 9 months later...

IMHO Juneau has more rain than Skagway so the probability of fog is greater in Juneau. In my many visits to Skagway, I experienced fog only once for a few hours.

About two hours on the ground in deep snow in Skagway. Three people in the front sled with with a gude/musher and another "trailer" sled for someone to pretend they were mushing.

There was about 15 minutes for sled dog head scratching for most of our sled dogs (one was not too fond of people) and another 15 minutes for playing with puppies. The rest of the time was spent on the snow trails.

Hearing 240+ dogs barking, "Take me on your sled," was an impressive sound. The helicopter flight provided amazing views/scenery as well as the large dog camp. Absolutely, my favorite Alaska excursion. Here is a link to my photos:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/skagway-2/dog-sledding/

I'm looking to make a similar booking next summer. The advice I'm going to follow is to book it in the first port I come to, so that if it's cancelled due to weather, I'll have a chance to try and book it at the second port. For me, that means booking out of Juneau, and taking numbers of operators in Skagway in case.

Indeed. We are headed to Alaska in early August '18. It will be our first Alaska cruise - we usually fly in and out of a destination (Europe - Germany, England, Ireland, Scotland and the like). I mulled it over (My Wife has always wanted to see dog sledding up close) and decided on the Helicopter and dog sledding deal out of Juneau and then, for the "just in case" thing) I scheduled the dog sledding camp out of Skagway. So, hopefully, if one doesn't go - the other will.

Hopefully, she will get her fill of dog sledding!!!

I'm looking to make a similar booking next summer. The advice I'm going to follow is to book it in the first port I come to, so that if it's cancelled due to weather, I'll have a chance to try and book it at the second port. For me, that means booking out of Juneau, and taking numbers of operators in Skagway in case.

You are following exactly what my advice was going to be!! Book for your 1st port and then you have a backup option if weather does not cooperate. We were supposed to do this excursion in Juneau which was our first port. Weather did not cooperate for dog sledding, but did get to take the helicopter ride. Weather didn’t cooperate in our remaining ports for dog sledding, but we at least had options. Years later I finally got to dog sled this past winter in Steamboat Springs, CO!!! Well worth the wait even though I froze!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are 3 vendors out of Juneau and only 1 out of Skagway. ALSO know- IF you will be considering just flying a sightseeing glacier landing trip. It may be available and you won't have much time to decide. Have back up plans- several- Glacier Dog sledding is the most canceled of Alaska excursions. :) There isn't much opportunity for walk up space- so also know in advance if you are going to split up. It is far more likely to have an open single space. Forget this option with more than 2 people.