Suggested Medications

rbslos18

I you have time the following

1 - Twinrx for Hep A&C

2 - Ducoral for travelers diarrhea

Twinrix is a vaccine, not a medication you take on vacation. It is for Hep A and B, not C. There is no vaccine for Hep C.

Dukoral is a vaccine (oral) as well, and lasts 3 months. Again, not something you would take on vacation.

Twinrix is a vaccine, not a medication you take on vacation. It is for Hep A and B, not C. There is no vaccine for Hep C.

Dukoral is a vaccine (oral) as well, and lasts 3 months. Again, not something you would take on vacation.

It does protect you from the most common issues. Duloral is good for twelve months not three. If 12 months you have to revaccine. Within that 12 months only a booster is required.

There are no different meds that I take for Mexico than what I would take for most trips-anti diarrhea meds, anti histamine/decongestant, tylenol etc.

I don't take anti biotics with me because I take them rarely unless diagnosed with a complaint by a doc

Pre-cruise: Hep A + B vaccines (Typhoid is probably not absolutely necessary but not a horrible idea either) and definitely the Dukoral drinkable vaccine. It's easy to obtain / take and WORKS. I was very ill in Mexico and I was amazed that my symptoms magically only lasted 1-2 days whereas in the past when I've been equally sick they usually last a good week. Dukoral's main claim is not completely stopping you from getting sick but rather shortening and lessening symptoms, and I can vouch for this. We now take the booster yearly.

On vacation we bring a ziplock bag with some Immodium and chewable pepto bismol tablets, as well as Benadryl, because you never know when you'll have a random allergic reaction to something, and we bring this bag in purse or backpack wherever we go. If we are eating local, which we often do, we take probitics daily. In my personal opinion, general multi-purpose antibiotics are not a good idea for travel, unless you're in dire shape, in which case you should be seeking medical attention. Taking antibiotics unnecessarily can be counterproductive to staying health by eliminating your protective bacteria, and some commonly prescribed fluorine based broad spectrum antibiotics (ciproflaxacin etc) can be dangerous to take in certain situations / individuals.

Lastly, we purchased a Life Straw water bottle so we always have access to cleaner water than what the ship or even bottled water can provide. It was a great buy and highly recommend.