New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Hi everyone. I have a question about GTY cabin for Holland America. I leave on my cruise in 8 days, still haven't been given a room yet. I have read a heap of a posts that say I get 14 days to 2 days out. That's all cool. Just wanted to know, the closer to sail day is there more chance of an upgrade?

Remember that there is a much better chance of an upsell offer rather then an upgrade .

Remember that there is a much better chance of an upsell offer rather then an upgrade .

This is our first time on HAL. When do you normally receive Upsell offers? We are in a Guarantee category and are 3 weeks out from our sail date. We haven't received any offers or a cabin assignment. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is our first time on HAL. When do you normally receive Upsell offers? We are in a Guarantee category and are 3 weeks out from our sail date. We haven't received any offers or a cabin assignment. Thanks.

Most report cabin assignments from 2 weeks out of sailing until the day you board.

Upsells usually happen before the guarantee assignments are made.

Exactly as kazu posted . Both our upsell offers came at 2 weeks before sailing . Not all offers are equal . We got 2 great offers and took both but reading here on CC ,offers are made which are no better then the original price difference between the two cabins .

Only you can decide if the offer is worth it . Good luck .:)

When do you normally receive Upsell offers? We are in a Guarantee category and are 3 weeks out from our sail date.

Starting right about now. Keep your eyes on your e-mail. If you used a TA, make sure they know you are interested in an upsell, and that you should be notified of any offers right away. If you used a TA, the offer will go to them, so that can create a delay.

Even better, decide on what you are willing to pay for an upsell, for the various categories, and give your TA permission to accept on your behalf if the numbers come in at an acceptable amount.

Cuts out the extra contacts that way.

I have a question about "guaranteed" cabins. On the HAL site, if I book an inside guaranteed cabin for $1,000, it says I may be assigned any of the inside cabins, which range in price from $1,000 to $1,300. Does that mean if they assign me the $1,300 cabin, I will then have to pay $1,300?

I have a question about "guaranteed" cabins. On the HAL site, if I book an inside guaranteed cabin for $1,000, it says I may be assigned any of the inside cabins, which range in price from $1,000 to $1,300. Does that mean if they assign me the $1,300 cabin, I will then have to pay $1,300?

No, that's the attraction of the guaranteed cabin for some. :)

If your guaranteed price is $1,000 - that is the price. You may be assigned a cabin that costs $1000 or a cabin that costs $1300. Your price is the same.

It was 2 weeks ago yesterday that I emailed about my unused/unrefunded beverage card and no word yet. I know the auto-reply says to not contact them again on the same subject, but that $100 applied to my credit card would come in handy right about now!
A few cruises ago I had an issue with my final onboard account and ended up calling HAL in Seattle and spoke with their accounting dept. It was resolved quickly. So I would try that.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

A few cruises ago I had an issue with my final onboard account and ended up calling HAL in Seattle and spoke with their accounting dept. It was resolved quickly. So I would try that...

Good advice. Also good to hear that a 'phone call to HAL Seattle got your issue resolved quickly. That has certainly been our experience on the very few occasions when we have had issues.

• 2 weeks later...

We have only cruise with Disney and Celebrity, we would like to sail with Holland America on a small ship out of Florida to the Caribbean. We liked excellent food, service and a balcony cabin on a high deck. What HAL ship would be a good introduction to this cruise line?

We have only cruise with Disney and Celebrity, we would like to sail with Holland America on a small ship out of Florida to the Caribbean. We liked excellent food, service and a balcony cabin on a high deck. What HAL ship would be a good introduction to this cruise line?

What is your definition of a small ship please?

This will help us help you.

The smallest ships in the fleet or older ones with fewer "bells and whistles" and the newer ones are larger - but not large by most industry standards.

Between 1600 to 2500 passengers. I feel this is a small cruise ship. Thanks for any information. Also, we are a young couple in our early seventies.

Looking for a newer ship, with outstanding restaurants and service and an awesome balcony cabin.

We are not a party couple. We would like to cruise to Cuba.

Thanks for any information.

Edited by cruise47

Between 1600 to 2500 passengers. I feel this is a small cruise ship. Thanks for any information. Also, we are a young couple in our early seventies.

Looking for a newer ship, with outstanding restaurants and service and an awesome balcony cabin.

We are not a party couple. We would like to cruise to Cuba.

The newest ship in the fleet is the Koningsdam. She has a number of different restaurants on board. Her maximum passenger number is 2650 though. Just a bit more than your max.

The next would be the Nieuw Amsterdam. She is one of the newer ships, Signature Class. holds 2150 passengers and has a number of bells and whistles. A lot of good reports on both of these two ships.

But...if Cuba is your destination of choice, only the Veendam is currently doing those itineraries. She's an older ship with a couple of idiosyncracies (aft pool removed and replaced with hot tubs) and only holds 1350 passengers. No bells or whistles and just the 2 specialty restaurants along with the standard stuff (Lido, Dive In, etc.). You might not have a choice if you want to sail HAL and go to Cuba :(. At least, not at the current time.

The next would be the Nieuw Amsterdam. She is one of the newer ships...
... and just out of a dry dock during which many of the public areas (among other spaces) were rehabbed... so not only newer but also recently refreshed. :)

What is a Lanian cabin ? I think, I have misspelled the cabin category.

We also could sail in anywhere in the Caribbean with a ten nights plus iternary.

This morning we saw a Holland America television commercial talking about Cuba and it spark our interest.

Edited by cruise47

We also could sail in anywhere in the Caribbean with a ten nights iternary.

A lanai cabin is a cross between an outside and a balcony. It's technically an oceanview but with a glass door (and you can see out but those outside can't see in during the day) that opens to the promenade deck. There are two reserved chairs there for the cabin.

You can enter your cabin from the promenade deck or from the regular door in the ship.

Koningsdam is doing a number of 10 or 11 day Caribbean sailings this year.

N Amsterdam is in the Caribbean all winter as well.

We also could sail in anywhere in the Caribbean with a ten nights iternary.

This morning we saw a Holland America television commercial talking about Cuba and it spark our interest.

It is a cabin on the R&S class ships [think smaller] that besides the regular cabin door you have a door directly on tho the Promenade/walking deck, with 2 personal deck chairs for your own use. Very limited inventory and under the lifeboats/tenders. Hope this helps.

I am looking at the Cuba cruise 14 nights. The first segment of the cruise sail to the island and return to Fort Lauderdale then to Cuba. Can you stay on the ship for the second segment of the cruise or do you need to demark from the ship; also do you have the same cabin assign to you for the second segment of the cruise? Thanks

I am looking at the Cuba cruise 14 nights. The first segment of the cruise sail to the island and return to Fort Lauderdale then to Cuba. Can you stay on the ship for the second segment of the cruise or do you need to demark from the ship; also do you have the same cabin assign to you for the second segment of the cruise? Thanks

For FLL turnarounds, they need to zero the ship down.

Some sailings (it depends upon the #'s of passengers staying on) they have everyone staying come to the showroom for a few minutes where they are cleared and then they can return to their cabins. Other times, everyone must get off the ship and then can re-board. Usually about 45 minutes from reports.

If the cruise is available as a "collectors" - the 14 night as one booking # - the cabin must be the same.

If you are doing it as a B2B (2 separate 7 day cruises with 2 different booking #'s), you can ask your TA / PCC to assist by checking inventory so that you have the same cabin. If it's a B2B, ask them to "link" the reservations.