Jeans. In Specialy Restaurants

mamaofami

I have found it reassuring that the people who know me from this board know we are seasoned cruisers and would dress nicely and to code.

I asked the original question because we haven’t cruised in several years and wondered if there were any dress code changes.

It’s to bad that new comers are scared away since these boards are only representative of a small amount of HAL cruisers.

We haven’t cruised in two years, and I find some of what I read shocking.

Carol, we were on several cruises with you and Sam, and I’m sure you remember that on two or three cruises, we shared a table in the MDR Early Dining each night. You and Sam dressed perfectly each night!

Some people on the board these days are very rude and insulting. Unfortunately nothing is done about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheila, once upon a time, DH wore a tux and I wore a gown. That was on formal night. He did away with the tux and wore a suit. I was dressy, but no gown.

I can assure everyone who doesn’t know us that we know how to dress. BUT there is nonGALA night on this cruise.

I think this might be the end of this discussion.

He will not be turned away, but I have to ask why wear Jeans--even "dress" jeans? Are they easier to put on than a pair of slacks? Do they weigh less? Do they compliment his shoes? What is the rationale? Obviously, not my business, but I do wonder what makes jeans a more attractive choice to him than a pair of slacks.

I think it's a "state of mind" kind of thing :D:cool:

Agree. I think when jeans are mentioned some people go pear shaped as it were. They are living in the past and associate jeans with dungarees, work clothes whatever. It is almost as if this image is seared in their memory and cannot be undone.

It is as though they cannot seem to get their heads around the changes in fashion, attire, and lifestyle over the years.

Sheila, once upon a time, DH wore a tux and I wore a gown. That was on formal night. He did away with the tux and wore a suit. I was dressy, but no gown.

I can assure everyone who doesn’t know us that we know how to dress. BUT there is nonGALA night on this cruise.

I think this might be the end of this discussion.

We cruised with you during the “suit and dressy days”! Fred wore a suit back then, too. [emoji1]

Well, it does reinforce how ignorant some people can be, Carol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. I think when jeans are mentioned some people go pear shaped as it were. They are living in the past and associate jeans with dungarees, work clothes whatever. It is almost as if this image is seared in their memory and cannot be undone.

It is as though they cannot seem to get their heads around the changes in fashion, attire, and lifestyle over the years.

The "j" word does seem to set some people off.

Kazu

I think I'd be more concerned about the sexual harrassment allegations rather than if he wears jeans or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, I totally agree - TOTALLY.

But, considering someone started a thread on on how well he was dressed....

My point is that jeans are worn.

To be honest, on our last HAL cruise in May on one Gala night, I wore new black jeans, black velvet ballet slippers (can't do high heels anymore) and a black/silver sparkly top. I looked hot....really. And, I don't care if someone did not like my jeans. So there. I'm done with this topic.

Okay, but seriously, the Crocs gotta go!

No, the chef has to go!!!

Maybe you have missed the news?

To be honest, on our last HAL cruise in May on one Gala night, I wore new black jeans, black velvet ballet slippers (can't do high heels anymore) and a black/silver sparkly top. I looked hot....really. And, I don't care if someone did not like my jeans. So there. I'm done with this topic.

I bet you did look smoking hot :)

Good for you :)

Years ago, we had a poster here named Kryos. May she RIP, she posted she wore black pants on a formal night and a black t shirrt covered in sequins Some folks had a hard time about that but truthfully, She was ahead of her time. I see tons of sequins on tops that other wise would be called a t shirt. Some look very fun and they are in vogue and niemans's, Saks, Nordstroms so i guess they have now 'arrived on the appoved list. I took my hat off to Kryos.

Oh, I totally agree - TOTALLY.

But, considering someone started a thread on on how well he was dressed....

My point is that jeans are worn.

Of course jeans are worn - times have changed. Some people regret the change and others applaud it. Somehow it seems that there are more people annoyed by people who regret the change than there are people who are just annoyed by the change.

The point is: as long as SOME or even ANY clothing is REQUIRED to be worn, there will be a dress code. Whether the boundary is located between dark suit for men or just jacket and tie ,or if it is located between pressed jeans with collared shirt and just any pants with any top, there will be some who say it is too casual and others who maintain that whatever others wear (or don't wear) does not effect their enjoyment of their meal.

Of course jeans are worn - times have changed. Some people regret the change and others applaud it. Somehow it seems that there are more people annoyed by people who regret the change than there are people who are just annoyed by the change.

The point is: as long as SOME or even ANY clothing is REQUIRED to be worn, there will be a dress code. Whether the boundary is located between dark suit for men or just jacket and tie ,or if it is located between pressed jeans with collared shirt and just any pants with any top, there will be some who say it is too casual and others who maintain that whatever others wear (or don't wear) does not effect their enjoyment of their meal.

(y)(y)(y) ... or in Valley Girl vernacular, "Oh, I totally agree - TOTALLY." :D

I believe that one of the issues is that some people tend to transpose their own opinions and purposely provide misleading data to those who are asking a very basic question.

And those who seem determined to present their opinions when a poster is simply requesting data.

Edited by iancal

This is probably the most intelligent assessment of the jeans issue. It is a function of how old you are and your values system. If you are long in the tooth, you most likely do not favor seeing your DH in jeans at dinner. If you are younger you are probably more accepting of all variations.

Our collective behavior on how we contribute to this thread, however, is another issue. It may also be a function of how old you are.

What is sad to see is that there are actually posters who claim they let opinions expressed on this forum actually lead to cancellations of their cruise. You should not participate in forums if you are influenced to the point of taking extreme actions (Norovirus being our exception). Vacations are meant to be enjoyed. This is a useful forum and we have used it to enrich our cruising and will continue to do so.

Maybe you have a feel for the age of a few regulars on this forum but personally, I wouldn't assume you can even take a decent guess of someone's age based on their opinion on this issue.On the other hand, I do guess that overall, those living in very upscale areas more likely to favor a looser dress code.

Maybe you have a feel for the age of a few regulars on this forum but personally, I wouldn't assume you can even take a decent guess of someone's age based on their opinion on this issue.On the other hand, I do guess that overall, those living in very upscale areas more likely to favor a looser dress code.

There are two ways of looking at the attitudes linked to demographics. Those living in "very upscale areas" might be better attuned to evolving fashion trends - but are still more likely to be interested in dressing well, having been exposed to wider ranges of social interaction.

I doubt age has very much to do with it.

One should not Feel, Assume or Guess . When a poster tells you they have been married for 59 years, you have a pretty clear idea of their age group. Age is one type of demographic, just like ethnicity, or socio-economic status, IQ or Zip Code etc.

When discussing the Jeans Issue, how do you best understand the difference of opinions expressed here. I have suggested that it is age, based on philosophy (i.e. values are relative to time and place). There is nothing negative here about age or aging.

Absolutely. For instance, where I live in Western Canada I can see far more people wearing jeans and shorts at my spouses church service than we would ever see at a similar one in Toronto.

Not only that, if you look around you can see the demographcs in the congregation.. Older grey hairs (like me) are often in suits. I'm not. It goes down to maybe 55 when you will see sports jackets, though often with jeans. Under 40 is primarily very casual with jeans being the majority. Especially in winter. Same for women. Cannot remember when I saw little children dressed up like they used do years ago. In our location it really comes down to age and to the custom in our area. I attend once, maybe twice a year. With one exception for the 'old one, I cannot remember ever seeing any of the other ministers in a suit let along a shirt and tie. And certainly never in a gown. Most often jeans, casual shirt, and a jacket or sweater.

That may not be how it is in other areas but this hardly makes it wrong or disrespectful as some might suggest. Just a change in what people wear. Nothing more, nothing less. And jeans are no longer simply work clothing. They moved into the realm of fashion years ago.

A comment suggesting that someone does not respect their spouse because he or she wears jeans is totally out in left field where I live. Unless of course the world has passed you by over the past 20 years. My spouse could care less if I am casual nor does she particularly want me to get dressed up for her. I sense that some people assume that every spouse wants their significant other dressed up for formal night in the MDR and that failure to do so is 'letting the side down' as it were. Some may think this but I suspect for many it is the farthest things from their collective minds. Just because it may be that way in Boston does not mean that is the way it is in East Rubber Boot. How boring it would be if we all dressed the same. The busybodies would not have anything to tut tut tut about.

Edited by iancal