ID requirements Change January 22, 2018

TiogaCruiser

For those flying on or after January 22, 2018, double check check the status of the ID you plan to use. If it is not compliant with RealID, you might

not be boarding.

From the Homeland Security website: “

• Starting January 22, 2018, passengers with a driver’s license issued by a state that is still not compliant with the REAL ID Act (and has not been granted an extension) will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel to board their flight. To check whether your state is compliant or has an extension, click here. Passengers with driver’s licenses issued by a state that is compliant with REAL ID (or a state that has been issued an extension) will still be able to use their driver’s licenses or identification cards.”

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

Thanks for the heads up!!! Read about some time ago. Looks like extension in California. Husband just renewed online his drivers license wonder if it will be compliant. I know using our passports work. We do have Global Entey too.

Appreciate you making people aware.

Denise:)

Thanks for the heads up!!! Read about some time ago. Looks like extension in California. Husband just renewed online his drivers license wonder if it will be compliant. I know using our passports work. We do have Global Entey too.

Appreciate you making people aware.

Denise:)

For those states that issue both compliant and non-compliant ID, you have to provide additional documentation when renewing your license for it to be compliant. The requirements vary by state, CA requires proof of citizenship (passport or BC), a California residency document, and proof of SSN, so if he didn't provide this, then his new license is not compliant. Those who have had a name change must provide the bridging documents (marriage license, divorce decree, adoption papers). As a comparison, Maine only requires proof of citizenship (BC) and submit to a photograph for facial recognition.

For those states that issue both compliant and non-compliant ID, you have to provide additional documentation when renewing your license for it to be compliant. The requirements vary by state, CA requires proof of citizenship (passport or BC), a California residency document, and proof of SSN, so if he didn't provide this, then his new license is not compliant. Those who have had a name change must provide the bridging documents (marriage license, divorce decree, adoption papers). As a comparison, Maine only requires proof of citizenship (BC) and submit to a photograph for facial recognition.

NM is one of the states issuing both compliant and non-compliant. To get Real ID license, besides providing BC or passport I had to show Social Security card, and two proofs of residency, from approved list. So my license has a little Star in upper right corner. The non-compliant ones have the words Not for Federal Purposes, across the bottom. We all have to have a facial recognition photo taken.

Most states have obtained an extension until October 10, 2018. Another easy substitute (OTHER THAN PASSPORT) is a global entry card. It is currently accepted as valid identification for boarding flights

NM is one of the states issuing both compliant and non-compliant. To get Real ID license, besides providing BC or passport I had to show Social Security card, and two proofs of residency, from approved list. So my license has a little Star in upper right corner. The non-compliant ones have the words Not for Federal Purposes, across the bottom. We all have to have a facial recognition photo taken.

AZ is similar and has an exemption, with non-compliant DL's being no longer valid for travel (or federal facility access) after October 2020. Just get a passport, right? ;)

I've tried to tell everyone I know about this....my TA enlightened me about it. My DH and I always travel with passports, even domestically, but we went to the NC DMV anyway and applied for the Real ID license (the license has a gold star on the front in the corner in NC). I am fearful there will be some poor soul out there who possibly booked flights or cruises/tours without the aid of a TA and might not be aware of the law changes. I hope everyone gets the word out! It would be awful to be left standing on the pier or at the airport and miss your trip because you did not bring the recognized forms of ID.....hope it doesn't happen to anyone.

I read a statement on The Points Guy where a person flying with the new license was turned away because they didn’t recognize it.

Twice I’ve been told my Global Entry ID isn’t valid for TSA.

We've never had any problems with TSA recognizing and accepting our GE ID's. Maybe the agents you encountered were newbies? :confused:

Just use a passport and this is a non issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since most of our flights are to cruises requiring a passport, using the passport for flight is no problem.

But hubby's Dr is at VA clinic on Army Base, a Federal Facility, and we don't want to bring passports for entrance when new rule goes into effect. So we went through the documentation hassle to get Real id driver license.

I read a statement on The Points Guy where a person flying with the new license was turned away because they didn’t recognize it.

Twice I’ve been told my Global Entry ID isn’t valid for TSA.

I was told that once at PHL (before the days of pre check, which is AMAZING). The agent that said it to me was so incredibly rude and barked at me when I told her that I thought she was mistaken, that I refused to provide any other ID. I told her to get a supervisor, and she said to me, “well she will say the same thing.” To which I replied “well not if she is knows the rules better than you. Why don’t you summon her and let’s make this an educational opportunity for you”. Of course the supervisor said it was perfectly acceptable and let me through, and the look on the other agents face was priceless. Other than that one incident, I’ve never had an issue using my GE card as ID for the TSA. ( by the way I’m not usually so confrontational, but that agents attitude was ridiculous)

These new i.d. problems are a small justification for getting a passport card in addition to a passport booklet. I don't like to use a passport booklet as alternate i.d. for fear of losing, mutilating it, etc., and in some circumstances it is too bulky. A passport card can be carried as a backup i.d. without the same fear of losing a passport booklet. Of course where a booklet is required, it must be used.