Millennium Alaska Medley Cruisetour

aloanldy

I'll start by saying this is my 16th Celebrity cruise and my 26th cruise over all. It's my 3rd time on Millennium. My sister and Brother in law and 49 year old niece decided to join in on my adventure. This was my sister's 2nd or 3rd time on Celebrity, my Brother in laws first time, and my niece's first time on Celebrity.

All have cruised before.

I chose the 5 nights pre cruise land tour. I flew into Anchorage from Tampa, FL. I got in about 9:00pm on Sunday 7/23/17. Celebrity was waiting there in the baggage claim department. There were several late arriving stragglers it seemed. We were helped with our luggage and boarded a shuttle to the Marriott Hotel in Anchorage. I was given my itinerary for the following day along with luggage tags for bags staying with me throughout the land portion and bags that can be stored until the last night of land.

The hotel room was well acquainted and what you'd expect from Marriott. Luggage was to be put out in the morning and shuttle would be waiting to take me to the Wilderness Express train where i'd be heading to Talkeetna.

As the bus pulled up to the train station there was a lone moose walking up to the train. That was pretty cool.

The train was nice, the breakfast on the train was the best! The views were nice, the weather was great, unfortunately not much wildlife was seen on the train ride. Arriving in Talkeetna, I went walking around town because I had booked the Talkeetna Air Taxi to take all of us on a ride around Mt. McKinley. So after lunch we headed to Talkeetna Air only to find out that the first plane wasn't back yet to tell us how visibility was, and if we could to the excursion I had booked. So we waited approximately 40 minutes to find out it wasn't going to happen. So we got a ride to the hotel and enjoyed the rest of our afternoon at the Talkeetna Lodge.

The place was very nice, with great views and rooms were nice. Met some RCL people who had just come off their cruise and were doing their tour. Next morning we were heading to Denali. We were let off in town to sight see and shop. We found a place to have lunch, and shortly after lunch we were picked up to head to the Denali Village Park for our next 2 night stay. We had lucked out, all 3 of our rooms were Cabins. They were awesome, right on the river. How we got the cabins, I guess it's random but I was happy. We had decided to forego the Wilderness Tour and booked the Kantishna Experience instead. We were picked up at the hotel and the driver informed us that she was picking up a few others at a couple hotels and then she'd be dropping us off at the access center where we'd meet the bus for the Kantishna experience. We had a little mishap on the way, our driver backed into another buses mirror, so we were detained a bit, until her boss showed up. So the people waiting for the bus were really waiting for us. So we got a later start into Denali. The Kantisha experience is about 12 hours going into Denali the full 92.5 miles. We did see bears, moose, wolf, red fox, carabou and doll sheep. We met a nice family on our ride and food was provided, though we did bring a bag lunch from the hotel which was much better than the wraps they had served. They did give a nice cooler bag with snacks, juice, water, and fruit in it for us each.

After the day in Denali we decided to look around Denali Village park. My niece and I roasted marshmallows and made smores at the fire pits that were provided.

We head to Girdwood in the morning our last resort. We are staying at the Alyeska Resort. There we are given tram passes to go up the tram on the top of the mountain. There is a restaurant and a sandwich shop as well as a gift shop up there. The views were unbelievable. The Hotel Alyeska was very nice. Beautiful resort and restaurants and bar.

In the morning we head to Seward where we will go to the Marine life park on the way to the ship. That was an awesome place with a baby walrus. Sea otter, seals and sea lions as well as fish, birds, etc. We spent a few hours there and then walked around Seward. We board the bus and was at the cruise terminal around 2:15pm.

I had booked the Aqua Class AFT cabin 1133. My niece was in Aqua Class 9108 and my sister and brother in law were in Aqua Class 9104. My cabin was right over the sunset bar, but it wasn't noisy and heard no noise at night.

The cabins they had on deck 9 had the overhang on their balconies. All the rooms were well appointed cabins.

I will say that upon them getting into their cabins their cabin steward introduced himself and told them that they had a bottle of champagne for each cabin waiting for them, they just needed to tell him when and he'd have it iced and in their rooms. My cabin steward never told me, nor did he offer it to me. None of us really care for much champagne so we didn't bother getting it, but it was the first inconsistent thing I noticed, which i've never noticed before on Celebrity.

Every late afternoon I received the tray of Hors d'oeuvres. My sister received them 5 nights, and my niece only 1 night. ( my niece wouldn't eat them anyway, but it was #2 of the inconsistency).

We ate in Blu the first night, select seating. My BIL was tired and stayed in... BIG MISTAKE. First night they offered Filet Mignon and it was the best i've had on a ship. I will say the food in BLU was like going to a specialty restaurant every night. We all truly enjoyed BLU. My BIL who isn't a big fan of cruising, said that he loves cruising now, as long as he has Ulul our waiter and Blu for dining.

Next morning was our first sea day and we would be cruising the Hubbard Glacier in the early afternoon.

WOW! What a sight. I was at a loss for words and my niece was in tears, it was so awesome to see. My sister kept saying you really picked a great vacation for us. (I picked it for me, they just decided to horn in on my adventure). It was truly something everyone should see.

Our next day was Juneau - I had booked the helicopter landing on the glacier thru the Celebrity. We were taken to the airport where the helicopters were, we were given a little video to watch on safety and then we were given some glacier boots to put on over our shoes. The sign on the wall said it's 25 degrees on the glacier with a feels like temperature of -2. The helicopter ride was smooth and beautiful views on the way to Mendenhall Glacier.

All I could say was WOW and OMG it's freezing. It was Windy on the glacier, partially because of how high up we were and partially because of the helicopters landing. It was neat to walk around and see the different colors in the glacier and the grooves and water. They talked about the glacier and walked us around a bit. We were probably on the glacier 1/2 hour. The helicopter rides are a bit expensive but to experience walking on a glacier, i'd tell anyone to spend the money and do it.

Our next day was Skagway - We booked the Dog Sled/white pass train ride thru the ship. First we were taken to a dog camp where they talked about the Ididarod dog race and explained the sled and the dogs, then we met the dogs, and they did a demonstration of the dogs running but on gravel because there wasn't snow. Then they let us pet all the dogs and then they brought out puppies, which if we wanted we could hold.

It was interesting and being a dog lover I enjoyed it. We spent time there and then headed on the bus to Canada. Where we would board the train and head back toward Skagway. It was a nice scenic ride, with very informative guide telling us about the gold rush and the path we were taking.

Our next day was Icy Strait Point - This is I believe a RCL/Celebrity port. There is very little to do here so I'm glad we had booked an excursion. We booked a whale watching excursion thru the Ship.

We almost immediately saw a sea otter after getting moving on the whale watching boat. We saw some whales, and more sea otters. It was a nice day on the water, but I was a little disappointed that there weren't more than 2 whales to see. Though other people out that day saw a lot of whales. There is a little shuttle you can take into Hoonan from ICP it's 2.50 each way I believe. There wasn't anything in town. I wouldn't waste the money going.

Next up is Ketchikan. I booked the Deadliest Catch boat ride. We got off the ship early and walked all around Ketchikan. Great town, my favorite of all of them I think. We walked to the slip where the boat was waiting for us.

This was an awesome excursion. They take you out, pick up traps that they have out there and show you whats involved in setting them and getting the crab out. they demo'd fishing for Halibut on the boats, and the captain stopped the demo to announce there was a whale out so we call could get up and see the whale.

They showed us the king crab, allowed us to hold some of the crabs, showed us a live octopus, took us to an area where bald eagles were, and fed the eagles so several were flying around us and landing on the nearby trees so we could get awesome pics of the Eagles.

We also saw a 2nd whale, which was a bonus to me since we only saw a couple the day before.

We left Ketchikan and were heading to our final sea day.

About Millennium (Millie) she is still a very beautiful ship and I happen to be very fond of the M class ships. The rooms were great, clean and in great condition.

I only saw one show. It was good. Traveling from Florida to Alaska the 4 hour time change and the fact that it's light longer really played hard with us, so we weren't "night owls" much.

My niece and I ate lunch one day in the main dining room, I had a cobb salad that was awesome. my niece had a hamburger she said was just ok. (she is a very picky eater).

The last sea night my BIL decided not to join us for dinner in Blu, he didn't want to get out of his shorts he said, so he said he had stir fry from the buffet that was really really good. He talked about it a lot.

This trip I didn't book any specialty restaurants and i'm glad I hadn't. Blu was very special and the meals felt like you were in a specialty restaurant. I brought my bathing suit as I love the T-pool on M class, but I never made it there.

We did have lunch in the buffet area and we thought the food was good. I only had lunch there tho. My BIL ate the Crab Shack special that was offered where the hamburgers are, it was $25 and you got king crab legs, crab bisque, slaw and fries I think. He did that a couple of times.

I love Celebrity and I have no negatives about my trip. I just noticed a couple inconsistencies that I hadn't noticed before. Nothing major, and nothing that would ruin my adventure.

The staff was as they've always been, very happy and helpful. The cabin steward, the bartenders, the cocktail servers, all saying hello to you using your name.

Anyone who hasn't gone to Alaska, but has it on their bucket list, needs to move it up on the bucket list as a priority, it's very majestic. Pictures don't do it justice.

Happy cruising.

Charlie

I want to go back to Alaska also. Maybe in 2020. Asia? That sounds like fun.

Charlie

Yes Asia! Very excited. We have a friend who lives in Kobe so I was very excited to see Millie stopping there overnight on 1April cruise. Been a little concerned about her age, but from recent posts she sounds in fine shape. Thanks again for your review.

Chezmarylou please post your review when you get back.

Transam84 - They keep up on a the ship alot. I noticed them painting the outside of the ship. We were docked next to a princess ship who needed to be painted, while Millie shined bright.

Charlie

Chezmarylou please post your review when you get back.

Transam84 - They keep up on a the ship alot. I noticed them painting the outside of the ship. We were docked next to a princess ship who needed to be painted, while Millie shined bright.

Charlie

Good to know. I am now even more excited. I really appreciate your reassurance.

Great review, thank you. We will be leaving on Thursday and can't wait.

When you stayed in the cabins in Denali Village, were you very removed from the main lodge? Was getting to breakfast a hike in the morning? I like to get coffee first thing and go back to the room. Thank. you for your help.

No it's not far at all, and right by the cabins is a little store, that serves breakfast sandwiches and coffee, should you not want to go to the main building.

Do you know you have a cabin? I didn't know a head of time. I was excited when I found out though.

I hope you have a great time.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie. I don't know, I guess we'll find out when we get there. Great to know that the cabins are great. I am starting to pack and it is a little frustrating. But, I am doing my best to have layers and keep a watch on the weather site for all the temperatures. Also, I don't plan on bringing any thing fancy, just neat and clean pants/jeans for dinner. I appreciate your review. Thanks.

I read up on packing on the Alaska port of call section of cruise critic and I still over packed. I didn't need all the dresses. On land I wore jeans and layered tops with sneakers or the merrells that every one recommended.

I packed shorts, but never wore them. try not to over pack it's not fun having to leave stuff behind or check another bag. I checked a bag, my sister left clothes behind that wouldn't fit with her stuff she bought in the ports.

Charlie

Thank you so much for your review! In the midst of packing and leave on Saturday for Anchorage. This is the first review of the land tour I've seen and i really appreciate your sharing your experience. We are very excited about our upcoming adventure!

Dear Sir/madam, like you we are regular Celebrity cruisers. We are booked on same ship next August and had planned n doing a back to back. Thanks to your review am giving consideration to the land tour instead. Good luck with your cruising.