Sydney answer by year end

'NSW Minister for Tourism and Events, Adam Marshall, has promised a solution to the cruise infrastructure crisis in Sydney by the end of 2017, with a working party currently considering a number of options.'

Source 'Cruise Weekly', August 10th 2017.

Aussie Frequent Floaters

Close the OPT, sell the land off to the insanely Rich to build highrise apartments then use the funds to build a decent facility for cruise ships in Newcastle. Better chance of that than moving the Navy and destroying history for holiday makers.

I doubt that would happen.

Overseas tourists want to depart from Sydney, not Newcastle.

Passengers from other Australian cities and towns (excluding Newcastle and the Hunter Valley) want to depart from Sydney. It's expensive enough getting from the airport to the current cruise terminals. Also those people want quick and easy access to the Sydney airport to return home after their cruise.

Sydneyites want to depart from Sydney. One of the advantages of living here is easy access to the cruise terminals.

Finally people who have Sydney as a port stop want to be in Sydney. Even White Bay is marginal. They don't want to be a couple of hours from the place that they want to sightsee in. Think of some of the port stops in Asia ie the ports for Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai, etc, which are a long way from the actual cities. :eek:

Close the OPT, sell the land off to the insanely Rich to build highrise apartments then use the funds to build a decent facility for cruise ships in Newcastle. Better chance of that than moving the Navy and destroying history for holiday makers.

lol. The story of Sydney's history - including its past deepwater passenger ship terminal.

And given our government's approach to developers, you may well be on to something...

Well I'd imagine any new development will be funded by selling the OPT.

Edited by GUT2407

• 3 months later...

I cannot see how that solves anything for Sydney, surely keeping the OPT and also having the Newcastle terminal would be better.

I doubt that would happen.

Overseas tourists want to depart from Sydney, not Newcastle.

Passengers from other Australian cities and towns (excluding Newcastle and the Hunter Valley) want to depart from Sydney. It's expensive enough getting from the airport to the current cruise terminals. Also those people want quick and easy access to the Sydney airport to return home after their cruise.

Sydneyites want to depart from Sydney. One of the advantages of living here is easy access to the cruise terminals.

Finally people who have Sydney as a port stop want to be in Sydney. Even White Bay is marginal. They don't want to be a couple of hours from the place that they want to sightsee in. Think of some of the port stops in Asia ie the ports for Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai, etc, which are a long way from the actual cities. :eek:

Good points.

I know. Don't rebuild those two stadiums and use the money saved for a new terminal.

Priorities, mate.

Just like they rebuilt the award winning Darling Harbour precinct, and made it worse (but developers better off), this is the most efficient way to boost the property sector in the smallest amount of projects by rebuilding already owned property.

I have seen it reported that relocating the Navy would cost in excess of $5B. Without all the facilities at Garden Island.

As long as NSW is prepared to ante-up, we can find an answer.

Surely the navy can relocate to all the various areas around the country that already exist.:D

Surely the navy can relocate to all the various areas around the country that already exist.:D

But they may need expanding staff would need relocating, including getting more defence housing.

Equipment will need relocating.

My question is, transport to Garden Island if they did go there.

But they may need expanding staff would need relocating, including getting more defence housing.

Equipment will need relocating.

My question is, transport to Garden Island if they did go there.

Willing to bet that Defense Housing cheaper anywhere outside of Sydney! :evilsmile:

Transport to GI better than White Elephant Bay!

Willing to bet that Defense Housing cheaper anywhere outside of Sydney! :evilsmile:

Transport to GI better than White Elephant Bay!

Maybe cheaper, but how many will have accomodation in or around Sydney but need defence housing if posted out.

Yeah anything is better than transport to white elephant.