What Kinds Of Insurance Should A Traveler Have?

frisbeewife

I've been traveling for many years both on cruises and land trips, and have only gotten trip insurance for the two times I flew overseas. Never had a problem but I'm retiring soon and DH and I expect to do a lot more traveling, both domestically and internationally. That got me to thinking about the various types of insurance a traveler needs, and what I'm covered for under my existing medical insurance and credit cards vs what I'd need to buy additional coverage for.

Here are the various types of insurance I can think of - can anybody think of something I'm missing?

Medical (both domestic and international):

-Doctor visit

-ER visit

-Hospitalization

-Pre-existing conditions

-Evacuation home or back to US

Car Rental - damage, liability, etc.

Trip Cancellation

Trip Interruption

Baggage Lost or Damaged

Death - return body home or to US

For domestic medical issues, both me and DH have insurance that will cover us anywhere in the US (no HMO) although it might be out of network - need to check on what would be covered internationally. Our domestic car rentals have always been covered by our credit cards but again, need to check on what would be covered internationally. I just got a Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card so trip cancellation, trip interruption, and baggage issues should be covered by that. I don't know about transporting a dead body (I know, it's horrible to think about but we get insurance because horrible things do happen) so I'd need to check on that.

Am I forgetting anything?

I've been traveling for many years both on cruises and land trips, and have only gotten trip insurance for the two times I flew overseas. Never had a problem but I'm retiring soon and DH and I expect to do a lot more traveling, both domestically and internationally. That got me to thinking about the various types of insurance a traveler needs, and what I'm covered for under my existing medical insurance and credit cards vs what I'd need to buy additional coverage for.

Here are the various types of insurance I can think of - can anybody think of something I'm missing?

Medical (both domestic and international):

-Doctor visit

-ER visit

-Hospitalization

-Pre-existing conditions

-Evacuation home or back to US

Car Rental - damage, liability, etc.

Trip Cancellation

Trip Interruption

Baggage Lost or Damaged

Death - return body home or to US

For domestic medical issues, both me and DH have insurance that will cover us anywhere in the US (no HMO) although it might be out of network - need to check on what would be covered internationally. Our domestic car rentals have always been covered by our credit cards but again, need to check on what would be covered internationally. I just got a Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card so trip cancellation, trip interruption, and baggage issues should be covered by that. I don't know about transporting a dead body (I know, it's horrible to think about but we get insurance because horrible things do happen) so I'd need to check on that.

Am I forgetting anything?

All the above.

“On evacuation home or back to the US for medical reasons”, read the fine prints. Hospitalization is usually at the nearest port for both domestic and international. Some insurance plan, like Medjet Assist, transfers a person who is hospitalized to the nearest hospital of choice at home so the care will be done by the preferred physician.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums