Magic Short-ish Report: Dec 2nd, 2017 - Modified Eastern

CruzinScotty

Hi, all.

I've done lengthy reports in the past including lots of pictures and a day-by-day, blow-by-blow discussion of what we did. With a lot less free time and the picture hosting sites starting to charge major money; I'm going to do a short report based on topics.

We've been doing family reunions since 2012. It is such a great way to visit, but not feel you have to be together every moment of the day. For ship comparison, we've been on the Liberty (twice), Dream, Sunshine, Conquest, Valor and now the Magic. I have also been on the Ecstasy out of Charleston, my home port, a few times recently. This year we had 11 with a few joining us for the first time. Our ages range from 30-something to my Pop, who is 93! We hadn't cruise during the holidays and thought this time wouldn't disrupt everyone's normal plans at home. We had 3 cruisers turn Platinum this cruise. (I don't mention this to be one of those "Platinum People"; but just a point of reference. More of us could attend the Platinum Party if anyone has questions about it.)

Our original itinerary was: Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk.

After the hurricanes it became: Amber Cove, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. We were a little disappointed as our newer cruisers hadn't been to St. Thomas or San Juan. But they had also never been to Half Moon Cay. Plus, with most of us living in Florida and coastal South Carolina, we understand all too well the damage these hurricanes caused. We had time to adjust and were happy we were going to be on a ship. Another point of Reference - Irma did the worst damage in the Keys and SW coast of Florida; but the Best Western we stayed at in Cocoa Beach had enough damage that they were doing some remodeling to all of their rooms and weren't completely open.

Our final itinerary missed Grand Turk due to high winds. The winds were high, it was all white caps on the seas. A few had never been to Grand Turk. And for most of us, it's the 2nd year in a row we missed it. We were on the Valor during Matthew last year. It was moving up the coast but the waves were too high for us to dock. Yet, 90 minutes later, it had calmed enough for the Glory to make it's scheduled stop there. So, yes; this cruise turned into Amber Cove, plus the Bahamas; and yes - we do understand the disappointment of missing yet another port.

But, our group to decided to update the old adage to, "When life gives you limes, make mojitos". :) We are very much "go with the flow" kind of folks. We had a wonderful time, enjoyed the ports we went to (yes - even Nassau!), had great weather, calm seas, great entertainment and wonderful food.

Please feel free to ask questions. That may help determine the order I cover things.

Am very interested in your review. We have a family cruise planned over spring break on the Magic. Also a group of 11 with several first time cruisers ages 6-76. Our itinerary is supposed to be the same as your original itinerary. Guess we'll cross our fingers and hope for the speedy recovery for the islanders as well as our plans.

Itinerary changes can be disappointing. I'm glad your group had a wonderful time anyway.

Thank you and thanks for reading the review.

Thanks for reading, we did have a lot of fun.

Too bad you missed Grand Turk again. Glad you found time to enjoy the other ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We made our own fun, for sure.

I guess this is a good time to say that this is my personal review. There were a lot of people on the ship and everyone will have a different perspective. Among our group, we wouldn't agree on every single thing. And I have been very, very lucky to have cruised often in the last few years. I would imagine those that don't or can't cruise often (I was in that group for many years), may have had a harder time with the itinerary changes. Your cruise contract says you are not guaranteed any port. But when it happens to you - it effects you differently. In our group, for those that missed ports they had never been to - they adjusted and hope to cruise to those ports in the future; be it next year or in five.

Edited by CruzinScotty

Am very interested in your review. We have a family cruise planned over spring break on the Magic. Also a group of 11 with several first time cruisers ages 6-76. Our itinerary is supposed to be the same as your original itinerary. Guess we'll cross our fingers and hope for the speedy recovery for the islanders as well as our plans.

Thanks for reading. Hopefully the ports will be in much better shape in the spring. Are you on assigned dining or Your Time Dining? We did YTD, there were two tables for 10 that comfortably sat our group of 11. We were able to get one of them each night with no problem, though we did usually go fairly early.

Edited by CruzinScotty

Would like to hear about the on board experience.

Keith

Anything in particular you are interested in? I didn't take notes like I usually do, I'm really winging this report.

I will mention a few things I didn't do or have only a little knowledge of:

No kids with us, so no help with Camp Carnival.

Did not attend Karaoke or any deck parties.

We didn't attend the spa, but did walk thru the gym and what we could see. The Thalasotherapy (sp?) spa looked great and was nice that it had a glass ceiling above.

I walked thru Serenity (one hot tub on each side); but didn't spend time up there when it was busy.

I didn't walk thru Deck 4, but it seems the deck plans showed most of Camp Carnival there.

I was on this cruise as well, we were married onboard. Looking forward to see how your group viewed the cruise.

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to share your thoughts as well.

Congrats on your marriage! Were you in the Newlywed Game? I know it was a couple from Central Florida. I wasn't there, but saw them at other times on the ship.

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to share your thoughts as well.

Congrats on your marriage! Were you in the Newlywed Game? I know it was a couple from Central Florida. I wasn't there, but saw them at other times on the ship.

No we weren't we aren't big on being the center of attention, so we steered clear of that! hahaha. I can say, that we were treated like royalty by the ships staff! If anyone has questions about the whole wedding process, or cove balconies (was in 2315), I'd be more than willing to answer.

Thanks for reading. Hopefully the ports will be in much better shape in the spring. Are you on assigned dining or Your Time Dining? We did YTD, there were two tables for 10 that comfortably sat our group of 11. We were able to get one of them each night with no problem, though we did usually go fairly early.

I was wondering about this. We all have YTD as there are several that do not want to commit to a specific time or the MDR. I anticipate that we would also go early so hopefully we will be able to get one of those tables at least once when we do all go. If not, we are ok being split into 2 or 3 groups. Thanks for the information!

Thanks for reading, we did have a lot of fun.

We made our own fun, for sure.

I guess this is a good time to say that this is my personal review. There were a lot of people on the ship and everyone will have a different perspective. Among our group, we wouldn't agree on every single thing. And I have been very, very lucky to have cruised often in the last few years. I would imagine those that don't or can't cruise often (I was in that group for many years), may have had a harder time with the itinerary changes. Your cruise contract says you are not guaranteed any port. But when it happens to you - it effects you differently. In our group, for those that missed ports they had never been to - they adjusted and hope to cruise to those ports in the future; be it next year or in five.

When we also sail with family and friends and plan for activities, we see to it that we agree to disagree to address our own preference.

While we have a lot of expectations from the cruise, we also accept that not all can be had, and just make the most of what we have and can do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No we weren't we aren't big on being the center of attention, so we steered clear of that! hahaha. I can say, that we were treated like royalty by the ships staff! If anyone has questions about the whole wedding process, or cove balconies (was in 2315), I'd be more than willing to answer.

I'm glad things went so well for you. And I love interactive reports. If you have any questions about the wedding process or Cove Balconies on the Magic, please feel free to ask away.

I have a question for you: we've only been on the Dream class twice, and have not had a cove balcony. We really liked the look when we were on the pier in Amber Cove. Did you feel like you were as close to the water as it seemed? The day we missed Grand Turk, the captain said the swells were 20 feet at his noon announcement. I hear they sometimes close the balconies in rough seas - did this happen to you?

Love your reviews, looking forward to more.:)

Hey! I remember you, thanks for coming back. Sorry no pictures, but my old reports using Photobucket have no pictures now anyways. LOL And I know Jamman54 is doing a great B2B review on the Magic. I couldn't compete with those anyways; but if anyone wants to see pictures of the Magic; that's the place to go.

I was wondering about this. We all have YTD as there are several that do not want to commit to a specific time or the MDR. I anticipate that we would also go early so hopefully we will be able to get one of those tables at least once when we do all go. If not' date=' we are ok being split into 2 or 3 groups. Thanks for the information![/quote']

You are welcome. And, on the nights you all go together, ask for table 276 or 277. Numerically, they are together; but they are both at the back on opposite sides.

I will say the early lines for YTD are getting a little ridiculous. We go early so we can get out to enjoy more of the evening activities. They open at 5:45 (usually an unannounced 5:30 on the first Formal Night); but we were lining up at 5:30 - or I thought we were. One from our clan was actually getting in line around 5:15 to make sure we could get our large table. Though we did get either table the two nights we got there around 6 and 6:15.

When we also sail with family and friends and plan for activities, we see to it that we agree to disagree to address our own preference.

While we have a lot of expectations from the cruise, we also accept that not all can be had, and just make the most of what we have and can do.

That's like us. Our only rule all along has been, no expectations, no hurt feelings. We might make a few plans ahead of time, but often we discuss plans at dinner. If someone is going to breakfast on a port day or the Sea Day Brunch; pick a time. People will wait 5 minutes and if you're not there - we'll catch you next time. LOL

I suggested an excursion for Nassau when the itinerary changed. I wasn't sure many would want to come. But over 1/2 did and I think they all enjoyed it. I'll discuss that later, along with a link which will have pictures.

We were on this cruise too! We were disappointed we missed Grand Turk, but like you we made the best of it! The crew did an amazing job keeping us informed and entertained on that "extra" sea day. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for following along and please feel free to share your experiences as well.

Since there are a few following along that were on this cruise; I'm going to ask a question.

After missing Grand Turk, seeing the white caps almost all day long and hearing the captain announce at noon we had 20 foot swells - did any of you think we might miss Half Moon Cay as well????

I will say.........I DID! But, I was so pleasantly surprise at how calm it was the morning we arrived there. :)

We were on this cruise too! We were disappointed we missed Grand Turk, but like you we made the best of it! The crew did an amazing job keeping us informed and entertained on that "extra" sea day. Thanks for the review!

I forgot to mention; I agree the staff did a great job with our extra sea day. We were only scheduled in Grand Turk form 7AM - 2PM. The captain came on the speaker around 6:40 - he woke us up. LOL

The only disappointment here was that Guy's Pig and Anchor wasn't open. But, that shows that they really do smoke the meat as long as they say. You just can't get it ready in the 5 hours notice they had.

I have a question for you: we've only been on the Dream class twice, and have not had a cove balcony. We really liked the look when we were on the pier in Amber Cove. Did you feel like you were as close to the water as it seemed? The day we missed Grand Turk, the captain said the swells were 20 feet at his noon announcement. I hear they sometimes close the balconies in rough seas - did this happen to you?

As a little background, we usually get balconies near the lido deck, and have always heard wonderful things about the cove balconies. Yes, you really do seem a lot closer to the water. Our balcony was never closed due to weather, and I went outside before the captain made his announcements, and while there were plenty of white caps, it did not seem like 20ft swells.

Another positive to the cove balconies are they are a lot more private. You can not lean over and see the seating area of the person next to you, and you cant peek through the dividers either. One negative is, everything gets coated with a film of salt. I found this out the hard way after sitting in the chair, and having a white pattern on my butt and back after getting up.

All in all, I will be booking a cove whenever we sail on the dream/vista class. When booking make sure to stay clear of the galley, and the "stinky" cabins. I dont remember which ones those are but a google search will turn it up.

Thanks for following along and please feel free to share your experiences as well.

Since there are a few following along that were on this cruise; I'm going to ask a question.

After missing Grand Turk, seeing the white caps almost all day long and hearing the captain announce at noon we had 20 foot swells - did any of you think we might miss Half Moon Cay as well????

I will say.........I DID! But, I was so pleasantly surprise at how calm it was the morning we arrived there. :)

Also, yes, I was scared we were going to miss HMC. I've always heard it is a frequently missed port. Thankfully we made it, although the time there, in my opinion, was a bit too long. I might feel that way as I am a Floridian and can make it to a beach in 45 minutes easy.