Anyone on Mesmerising Med 1 - Discovery November 8th?

Tried to book a couple of excursions on our November cruise, but most aren't available to book yet - is this normal for Thomson/Marella?

Particularly wanted to book Petra in case it sells out.

• 2 weeks later...
Tried to book a couple of excursions on our November cruise, but most aren't available to book yet - is this normal for Thomson/Marella?

Particularly wanted to book Petra in case it sells out.

Hi howmuch!

They may not want to sell the excursions yet but have just noticed that the recommended price has gone up.:eek:

Like you, I would like to book before we go. Although, not too bothered, as they do not put all the tickets up for prebooking. Lots of passengers wait until onboard. After all, not everyone books on line or even has a computer.

Yeah, noticed the Petra one had gone up. Some excursions for places like Pisa, were there a while ago, but aren't now. I emailed TUi and they say 90 days before departure date. Think they are watching the £ exchange rate drop before they declare prices

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, noticed the Petra one had gone up. Some excursions for places like Pisa, were there a while ago, but aren't now. I emailed TUi and they say 90 days before departure date. Think they are watching the £ exchange rate drop before they declare prices

90 days was up last week and still no movement on trips for sale. They've got my money in full so would like to be offered the goods. Beginning to get bad feelings about this trip.

TUI are in the process of moving their Shore Excursions onto a new booking system. Summer 18 is bookable on the old supplier system - though Winter 18/19 will be on the new one so no sales will be done on the old one. The information is that this month will be the launch of the new system and excursions will be bookable.

We are on Celebration from April 4th Barbados ending in Dubrovnik 2nd May and most ports of call have excursions on line now So I think the Far East are not available as early as it's a first time cruise area for Marella and is probably taking longer to set up the excursions

Had an email reply from excursions today - Winter 2018/19 excursions will be on sale from 5th Sept (even though last time I looked, some were available). Don't hold your breath!

Hello howmuch! Thanks for the info. Will take your advice. Believe it when I see it in print and know I can book what I want. Strange how some ports have some trips for sale but not others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.... I am off on the cruise on Nov 8th.... Our first ever cruise ( we vowed never to do one!!!)… I have been on the phone earlier today with the cruise line to try and book some excursions, as I am slightly paranoid that we will not get to see Petra....

As mentioned, they said there is a computer software changover and they cannot book anything at the minute.

However, after reading some of the comments on here, it appears that we don't have much to worry about in terms of Excursions selling out....

As with most first timers, my wife and I worry about bringing the correct clothes, how to get from ports to the cities ( without being ripped off!!) and what actually happens on the boat ( seems obvious I know!!).

Any help that some of your seasoned cruisers can give would be most appreciated

debs3009 you should have nothing to worry about regards cruising. I tried to avoid it for at least 10yrs, then gave it a go, and now much prefer a cruise to a standard package holiday, due to the variety of destinations provided, superior food and drinks to the usual all inclusive hotels and the people on board. The Discovery is ex Royal Caribean so generally plusher than the smaller ships (Celebration and Dream), and has a decent range of all inclusive drinks on offer. Fellow passengers will put you on the right path, so make an effort to mix (share a table for dinner and drinks etc). We have also booked primarily to see Petra, but although frustrating, I'm sure we'll be able to book - eventually .

We booked the cruise on line but excursions still not available online.

However our local Tui store has got access to the shorex and have booked Petra and Khasab through them.

So if you are concerned then contact your local store.

We booked the cruise on line but excursions still not available online.

However our local Tui store has got access to the shorex and have booked Petra and Khasab through them.

So if you are concerned then contact your local store.

Hello jake26.

Thank you for the information about booking trips.

Phoned Shore Excursions and was told they had website issues and the only pepoe who could book the trips were local agents and to phone them.

Duly phoned local shop. They knew the problem and took all our details and within a few minutes the trips were booked and confirmation has been received.:D

Why oh why can't Marella put something on their site, especially as it's just over 8 weeks until the cruise.:mad:

Thank you again.

Thanks for the heads up regarding shore excursions will pop down to see our agent tomorrow.

Hello devonboy51

I was told by Shore Excursions to just phone them, which I did, and there was no problem, even though I haven't used them for years as always book on line.

Unless you have a need to go to the TA, a phone call should suffice and save waiting to be served, although may have to wait for phone to be answered.

Hi scioncruises,

Checked on line this morning and still not possible to book any aqaba or rome or naples excursions. Popped into our local TA and was told they had become available this morning. She checked and brought up our account, and showed us. We booked petra and little petra for day 14, and wadi rhum for day 15.

She checked Civitavecchia and naples for us and excursions that were available on her computer were not the ones that we had seen on ours. So we decided to leave those and reassess when we got home. Have just checked on line and everything is as it was earlier this morning, i.e. no excursions bookable for naples or Civitavecchia.

Looks like we will have to pay another visit to the TA on Monday.

Frustrating!!!

Hi scioncruises,

Checked on line this morning and still not possible to book any aqaba or rome or naples excursions. Popped into our local TA and was told they had become available this morning. She checked and brought up our account, and showed us. We booked petra and little petra for day 14, and wadi rhum for day 15.

She checked Civitavecchia and naples for us and excursions that were available on her computer were not the ones that we had seen on ours. So we decided to leave those and reassess when we got home. Have just checked on line and everything is as it was earlier this morning, i.e. no excursions bookable for naples or Civitavecchia.

Looks like we will have to pay another visit to the TA on Monday.

Frustrating!!!

Hello devonboy51

As you were in TA I would have thought a phone call would suffice No harm in trying. I know our booking didn't take long over the phone and confirmation email arrived within minutes.

Would guess the fact that booking excursions has been passed to TAs to deal with would make me think that the computer system is not fit for purpose and is unlikely to be ready pre-sailing.

Only booked Sorrento on Your Own, as we love wandering round there, and also Petra which is our main reason for booking. The rest we have done several times so will just do our own thing.

Departure time is ticking down.:D

"Know its off thread , but we have booked for this cruise , and have looked every where to see if we need visa's , injections for Jordan , getting paranoid now thinking I'm not going to be able to go ashore I coz ive not got what is required "

Hi Vivthescot….. I had the same concerns and I went on to this website http://www.your-guide-to-aqaba-jordan.com/aqaba-visa-for-cruise-ship-passengers.html and it tells me that as long as you are entering Jordan through aqaba on a cruise ship, a free visa is allocated.. There are some country exceptions though, depending on your passport, but UK passports are fine.

Excursions all booked up now using the travel agent. Looking forward to seeing Pompeii, and revisiting Petra. Travel agent thought TUI would be ironing out any faults with the new excursion system before it went live for Tui customers.

Devonboy…. Your comments have been envaluable…. I popped down to our local Tui agent this morning and they booked all my excursions there and then ( even though they are still down as unavailable on the website!!).

Feel much more at ease now knowing that the primary reason for our cruise is to finally make it to Petra, and it is now booked!!!

"Know its off thread , but we have booked for this cruise , and have looked every where to see if we need visa's , injections for Jordan , getting paranoid now thinking I'm not going to be able to go ashore I coz ive not got what is required "

No injections required but we always ensure that tetanus hepB Typhoid injections etc are always up to date They are available free from your doctor

We do this cos we visit the Caribbean and Central America regularly by cruise