Disney Cruise Line Adjusts Final Payment and Cancellation Policies

LauraS

For someone who is going to book onboard activities or land excursions, this don’t really make differences since you would want to book those activities as early as possible, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For someone who is going to book onboard activities or land excursions, this don’t really make differences since you would want to book those activities as early as possible, correct?

Maybe...if you planned to book them thru the cruise line. If you are planning to book privately, makes no difference. What it does it slightly decrease your flexibility and increase your need for high quality travel insurance. I wonder if this means that *gt bookings might come out sooner, as they typically appear shortly after the start of the penalty period.

Being only Gold with DCL, I can book my online stuff only 105 days in advance of the cruise; under these new rules, I have to be paid in full at least 15 days prior to that.

For silver, they can book stuff 90 days in advance so they have to be paid in full at least 30 days before and for new cruisers, they can book at 75 days so they will have been paid in full 45 days before they can book anything.

I've not seen that with any other cruiseline where you have to be paid in full for such a period before being able to book online stuff like excursions, specialty dining, etc.

Being only Gold with DCL, I can book my online stuff only 105 days in advance of the cruise; under these new rules, I have to be paid in full at least 15 days prior to that.

For silver, they can book stuff 90 days in advance so they have to be paid in full at least 30 days before and for new cruisers, they can book at 75 days so they will have been paid in full 45 days before they can book anything.

I've not seen that with any other cruiseline where you have to be paid in full for such a period before being able to book online stuff like excursions, specialty dining, etc.

And many of the cruise lines we have taken not only allow you to book before you are paid in full, but allow you to book excursions and pay them up front -- guarantying you get what you want rather than waiting until "open booking" online.

The issue really had little to do with when you can book excursions. The point is they are changing the date when DCL demands your money and then gets to keep it if your plans change. It makes insurance perhaps more an important thing.

DCL has long had special cruises that required payment at 120 days. Some other lines have this sort of payment date; others stick to more like 75 days. I suspect that DCL just wants to increase the time during which they know that the cabins are sold--that they will be getting some or all of their money even if the cabin doesn't cruise full. It may influence how they will do their "last minute" marketing.

How long DCL has had your cruise fare prior to allowing you to book excursions....really not relevant. The thing that matters there is when you can book in relation to others on the ship. MANY other lines require that you pay for excursions at the time of booking them. DCL's policy that you don't pay for excursions until you are on board is actually quite generous. People who don't like the way DCL does excursion booking can book privately.

The issue really had little to do with when you can book excursions. The point is they are changing the date when DCL demands your money and then gets to keep it if your plans change. It makes insurance perhaps more an important thing.

DCL has long had special cruises that required payment at 120 days. Some other lines have this sort of payment date; others stick to more like 75 days. I suspect that DCL just wants to increase the time during which they know that the cabins are sold--that they will be getting some or all of their money even if the cabin doesn't cruise full. It may influence how they will do their "last minute" marketing.

How long DCL has had your cruise fare prior to allowing you to book excursions....really not relevant. The thing that matters there is when you can book in relation to others on the ship. MANY other lines require that you pay for excursions at the time of booking them. DCL's policy that you don't pay for excursions until you are on board is actually quite generous. People who don't like the way DCL does excursion booking can book privately.

I don't know - I'd be pretty cheesed if I was already past my PIF date and found out that I couldn't book specialty dining, special excursions (like on Castaway Cay) or all of the special ticketed events were full. Or the only boarding time left was the last one.

For many people it won't matter - they'll be going no matter what.

For some people, it will matter. Lots of times I've seen posted - "I can't get Palo brunch! I can't get parasailing! There are no more Princess Meet and Greet tickets left! My trip is ruined!!!!!"

In the past, they could (would is a different matter) cancel the cruise and rebook a different date. Now, sorry but moving forward, you're in penalty phase.

I don't know - I'd be pretty cheesed if I was already past my PIF date and found out that I couldn't book specialty dining, special excursions (like on Castaway Cay) or all of the special ticketed events were full. Or the only boarding time left was the last one.

For some people, it will matter. Lots of times I've seen posted - "I can't get Palo brunch! I can't get parasailing! There are no more Princess Meet and Greet tickets left! My trip is ruined!!!!!"

In the past, they could (would is a different matter) cancel the cruise and rebook a different date. Now, sorry but moving forward, you're in penalty phase.

Well said.

I have seen those posts also, that my trip is ruined because I couldn’t get (fill in the blank). One lady on the Facebook page for my Alaska Cruise in July complained that the only excursion that her parents wanted was sold out, she was able to get it later, but her attitude was oh no my parents can’t get what they want, their trip is ruined. By the time she could reserve activities, she was already in the penalty phase for the cruise. Alaska cruises are PIF 120 days before the actual cruise even before Disney changed their policy on PIF.

My opinion is that anyone getting very upset because they can’t get Palo, PAT, meet and greets and shore excursions that they would like, are people who forget that vacations are a time to enjoy themselves no matter what happens or what they were able to get. I think that it is ok to feel disappointed, but saying your trip is ruined, is an overreaction.

I have seen those posts also, that my trip is ruined because I couldn’t get (fill in the blank). One lady on the Facebook page for my Alaska Cruise in July complained that the only excursion that her parents wanted was sold out, she was able to get it later, but her attitude was oh no my parents can’t get what they want, their trip is ruined. By the time she could reserve activities, she was already in the penalty phase for the cruise. Alaska cruises are PIF 120 days before the actual cruise even before Disney changed their policy on PIF.

My opinion is that anyone getting very upset because they can’t get Palo, PAT, meet and greets and shore excursions that they would like, are people who forget that vacations are a time to enjoy themselves no matter what happens or what they were able to get. I think that it is ok to feel disappointed, but saying your trip is ruined, is an overreaction.

For many people though, DCL cruises are a once in a lifetime experience. If they don't get to do those things, it may be that their trip is ruined because they won't get another opportunity.

For many people though, DCL cruises are a once in a lifetime experience. If they don't get to do those things, it may be that their trip is ruined because they won't get another opportunity.

How do you know it will be once in a lifetime, noone knows until that person dies. DCL is a cruise line and people can get that experience as much as they want. Some of the people on my cruise had been to Alaska before with DCL including me. I am leaving in 11 days for an experience that is once in a lifetime, I applied 10 months ago and they select only 175 people for 5 groups of 35 people each year. I have to pay for the tour and get myself there and back. This tour is in Scandinavia. Can I apply again, yes. They won’t choose me again because they give preference to people that haven’t done it before. Maybe also you should read some of the other boards on this site. Some people have taken more than one World Cruise, an experience a lot of people consider once in a lifetime.

How do you know it will be once in a lifetime, noone knows until that person dies. DCL is a cruise line and people can get that experience as much as they want. Some of the people on my cruise had been to Alaska before with DCL including me. I am leaving in 11 days for an experience that is once in a lifetime, I applied 10 months ago and they select only 175 people for 5 groups of 35 people each year. I have to pay for the tour and get myself there and back. This tour is in Scandinavia. Can I apply again, yes. They won’t choose me again because they give preference to people that haven’t done it before. Maybe also you should read some of the other boards on this site. Some people have taken more than one World Cruise, an experience a lot of people consider once in a lifetime.

It does become a "once in a lifetime" experience for many who have to save for 2+ years to afford a Disney cruise. They do it for their children or parents and grandparents, but they know it may be the only time they can afford a Disney cruise. I know many who feel that way and have only been able for afford to sail once. For us, after 10 Disney cruises, it is no longer financially feasible to spend so much on a 7 night cruise.

Those that can afford to take a World Cruise more than once certainly would have no problem paying for a Disney cruise -- but those financially well off people are far from the norm in general, and the ones I know who have done it are retired and don't have to work or scrounge for the days off they need.

Your opportunity sounds extraordinary and I hope you have a great experience.

Edited by Wyoming2010

I didn't say for everyone, I said for many. I have taken several DCL cruises (and Carnival, and Celebrity, and Royal, and soon multiple cruises on Princess); heck I have a "once in a lifetime" trip planned for this winter where my parents and I will be spending 38 days on Princess, followed by 5 nights on Celebrity, 13 on Carnival and 7 on DCL (with some time in Florida and Georgia sprinkled in between). While it would be nice to think that we'll be able to financially, health-wise, and time-wise be able to do this trip again, I am not going to hold my breath on it.

Same as trips to Walt Disney World. Yes, lots of people go year after year (or even many times a year). There are lots of people though who are one and done. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, never again.

And thank you for the suggestion; I read (and post) on several boards since I enjoy cruising on a variety of lines. :D

It does become a "once in a lifetime" experience for many who have to save for 2+ years to afford a Disney cruise. They do it for their children or parents and grandparents, but they know it may be the only time they can afford a Disney cruise. I know many who feel that way and have only been able for afford to sail once. For us, after 10 Disney cruises, it is no longer financially feasible to spend so much on a 7 night cruise.

Those that can afford to take a World Cruise more than once certainly would have no problem paying for a Disney cruise -- but those financially well off people are far from the norm in general, and the ones I know who have done it are retired and don't have to work or scrounge for the days off they need.

Your opportunity sounds extraordinary and I hope you have a great experience.

In my travels, I have taken 7 Disney cruises. On all of them I did my best to enjoy the cruise, even the one I went Concierge. My attitude towards trips is not what I miss or couldn’t get, but what I can experience. I find that going for an experience is more important than a Palo reservation or PAT. Shore excursions on any cruise line is first come first served. Should I feel cheated that I didn’t get a particular one or like in my case one time I did a VIP Tour of Disney World where we didn’t do one ride because the line was crazy. I can tell you right now, I enjoyed it and had a good experience. That to me is the most important.

Thank you, look up Lego Inside Tour, that is what I am doing.

i had no idea that people cancelled a cruise just because a particular excursion was full...

that is so odd to me...

i guess the same people would have been devastated on our royal caribbean radiance of the seas alaska cruise that was unable to go to hubbard glaciar because of a fatal accident that occurred on the highway between anchorage and seward the day of departure.

because of the accident, 1200 passengers were delayed and only able to reach the ship at 1 in the morning, delaying our sailaway until 3 am - making it impossible for us to reach hubbard glacier...

after the announcement (around the time of the muster drill) that hubbard would be a miss, there were people literally SCREAMING at the ship officers (who were fielding questions in the guest services area)....

SCREAMING at them to sail away RIGHT NOW....

that those people are late and that's their problem but WE PAID to see hubbard glacier..

seriously, these people were SCREAMING their guts out..

and keep in mind - it was a fatal accident....a person was DEAD....dead.....

keep things in proportion a bit.....it's really not the end of the world to miss hubbard glacier, even if it is a trip of a lifetime..

there are so many gorgeous things to see in alaska....one glacier, no matter how amazing, shouldn't ruin your entire 7 day cruise of amazing things..

and in any case, be thankful and count your blessings that you're not the poor guy on the road with his family on vacation who is now dead...

i was completely shocked by how people behaved that day and continued to complain about it the entire cruise....every morning at breakfast (we went to the sit down breakfast where you sat at a big communal table) there were people complaining about missing the glacier and how they were demanding compensation from royal...

i guess i'm naive..

Beth, we saw similar behavior on our first DCL cruise that was altered due to a hurricane. People were at the Port Adventures desk screaming and acting out horribly. This was after the announcement that all excursions for the canceled island would be refunded in full and they were working on excursions for our new stop. Ultimately Captain John got on the PA system and gave his "Only an idiot would steer a ship toward a hurricane" speech and security appeared.

Some people have a different idea than I do as to what constitutes a major life issue. Missing an island or the inability to get a desired reservation just doesn't cut it in my book. But then, if that's a reason to reschedule a cruise, perhaps those people shouldn't cruise at all--things can and often do happen when on what amounts to a "floating city."

Beth' date=' we saw similar behavior on our first DCL cruise that was altered due to a hurricane. People were at the Port Adventures desk screaming and acting out horribly. This was after the announcement that all excursions for the canceled island would be refunded in full and they were working on excursions for our new stop. Ultimately Captain John got on the PA system and gave his "Only an idiot would steer a ship toward a hurricane" speech and security appeared.

Some people have a different idea than I do as to what constitutes a major life issue. Missing an island or the inability to get a desired reservation just doesn't cut it in my book. But then, if that's a reason to reschedule a cruise, perhaps those people shouldn't cruise at all--things can and often do happen when on what amounts to a "floating city."[/quote']

After my October -November 2017 cruise out of NYC, our Facebook group had posts from people who were upset about the rough seas we encountered. Some were saying why weren’t we rerouted to Canada, forgetting that the winds were coming from the South to North. Upset we were late to Castaway Cay, we made all ports, but some wanted compensation for sea sickness.

I agree with you, there are no guarantees in life and things do happen that might change what is scheduled.