cruising w/ baby vs toddler

megann831

I'm so anxious to get on our next cruise, but I'm having a really hard time finding an itinerary that we're interested in. I may have more options if I wait till the summer, that way I can leave out of the north east and have more options other than Florida/ Bahamas. This means cruising with a 14 month old vs a 10 month old. This kind of scares me lol! Our son's 1st cruise he was almost 2, he had just gotten into TV so it was easy to distract him during dinner with a video and he was steady on his feet so he could explore the ship or was content to sleep in a stroller. I feel like at 14 months they're all over the place, too old too sit still, too young to be distracted for long. At 10 months they're fairly immobile and distracted easily enough with some cherrios. Should I suck it up and get down to Florida with the baby at 10 months or wait it out and go with a toddler?

I'm so anxious to get on our next cruise, but I'm having a really hard time finding an itinerary that we're interested in. I may have more options if I wait till the summer, that way I can leave out of the north east and have more options other than Florida/ Bahamas. This means cruising with a 14 month old vs a 10 month old. This kind of scares me lol! Our son's 1st cruise he was almost 2, he had just gotten into TV so it was easy to distract him during dinner with a video and he was steady on his feet so he could explore the ship or was content to sleep in a stroller. I feel like at 14 months they're all over the place, too old too sit still, too young to be distracted for long. At 10 months they're fairly immobile and distracted easily enough with some cherrios. Should I suck it up and get down to Florida with the baby at 10 months or wait it out and go with a toddler?

Oh my you hurry up and book a cruise with the idea 10 months is not so mobile and then you get kids like mine -- they all started walking right about 9 months! Mother Nature sure likes to laugh at us.

My daughters have traveled with both babies (pre walkers about 6 months old) and children 18 months old (all grands born in January). They have done fine at all ages. One daughter particularly likes to have oceanview or inside cabin -- afraid of balcony with daredevil kids. She found a "Parental " waiter -- one who loves kids and asked for them each night. Generally you get your own table with kids;p;p;p;). If it isn't working for you -- just take the child out for a few minutes and try again. I have one mother who uses Iphone movies often and one mother who does not allow any screens until after age 2 (brain scientist and doesn't want blue light). So you go and you do what works for your family. You adjust things when necessary and try to keep somewhat to schedule. Know it will not be the vacation you had before vacation but I think it is better. Enjoy your child and know that your child has the best mother in the world for him/her -- that mother is you. Relax.

10 months is a little easier than 14 but if I read your post right and you won't have to fly if you wait I would definitely do that. Each kid is different but the 15-18 month period is hard after 18 months they can start to play by themselves quietly. Around 2 this fades as they get more active and want to run away. At 3 they can go in most kids clubs and start to listen much better.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same question as you a few months ago. I thought it would be easier to cruise with my little one at 8 months before she was mobile, but I decided to hold off. Now she is 13 months and we are going on the allure when she is 15 months. We just traveled by plane to Boston and she did surprisingly well. So well that it made me book this. Get a good stroller that reclines and they will nap on the go. I loved the city mini baby jogger and it folds up small for the cruise! My only concern is they change so fast so who knows what I will be dealing with in 2 months !

• 2 weeks later...

The younger the better. We have cruises at 9 months, 13 months, 15 months, 24 months, 27 months, 28 months, 30 months and pretty much every increment in 3 months from then on till age 7.5 which is the oldest son now. By far the easiest was 9-15 months. 24-36 months was the hardest. It gets progressivy easier from 36 months on. If they can’t walk yet that is huge!!! GO NOW! Being non mobile makes life sooo much easier.