VNP closure/Marylou

Betsypaige

Hi!

So I e-mailed Marylou regarding her Kona and Hilo tours and she informed me that VNP is closed, and they aren’t sure when it will be reopened. That was the last thing I expected - it’s kind of a gut punch because that’s the thing I’ve most wanted to see in Hawaii.

My cruise is in May of 2019 - so hopefully VNP will be reopened by then...has this happened before ?

I’m so disappointed, but I think I’ll still be in good hands with Marylou; tours, even not including VNP, sound wonderful. I’m considering only doing Hilo, because the ship has an excursion that sounds like so much fun: Captain Zodiac raft/snorkel/dolphin tour.... has anyone ever done that ?

Thank you!

VNP has been closed since May 11 due to the eruptions which as I recall is the longest closure in the park’s history.

Here’s a link to their updates on the situation & the closure is indefinite so there’s no way to know the conditions for your Hilo visit.

https://www.nps.gov/havo/2018-closure.htm

At this time, closure of the Kīlauea area of the park is indefinite. Recent scientific analyses suggest the current activity could persist for at least another several months or longer (see https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vsc/file_mngr/file-184/Summit%20scenarios_7-5-18.pdfand https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vsc/file_mngr/file-185/USGS%20Preliminary%20Analysis_LERZ%20July%2015%202018.pdf) We appreciate the support of visitors and the community during this challenging time.

There is no reason at this time for travelers to change or alter their travel plans. There are numerous activities still available on Hawai‘i Island (including four other national parks), and part of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park is still open to the public. All accommodations, activities and attractions on the island are also operating normally, with the exception of those in areas affected by the current volcanic activity (for example, the Volcano House and Kilauea Military Camp, and park campgrounds are part of the park closure). Both public airports remain open.

Nothing you can do about it. As someone said recently, humans wind a few battles, but Mother Nature is undefeated.

LOL that’s true! Oh yeah, I know that - I was just taken aback for a moment. Well, the important thing is that everyone is safe; my vacation will go on, and be wonderful, regardless of whether VNP is open or not.

VNP has been closed since May 11 due to the eruptions which as I recall is the longest closure in the park’s history.

Here’s a link to their updates on the situation & the closure is indefinite so there’s no way to know the conditions for your Hilo visit.

https://www.nps.gov/havo/2018-closure.htm

At this time, closure of the Kīlauea area of the park is indefinite. Recent scientific analyses suggest the current activity could persist for at least another several months or longer (see https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vsc/file_mngr/file-184/Summit%20scenarios_7-5-18.pdfand https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vsc/file_mngr/file-185/USGS%20Preliminary%20Analysis_LERZ%20July%2015%202018.pdf) We appreciate the support of visitors and the community during this challenging time.

There is no reason at this time for travelers to change or alter their travel plans. There are numerous activities still available on Hawai‘i Island (including four other national parks), and part of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park is still open to the public. All accommodations, activities and attractions on the island are also operating normally, with the exception of those in areas affected by the current volcanic activity (for example, the Volcano House and Kilauea Military Camp, and park campgrounds are part of the park closure). Both public airports remain open.

Thanks for the info, Astro Flyer! It is what it is - and I think it’s kind of cool that we’re witnessing Hawaii growing ever larger, that land is actually being created. As long as everyone is safe, that’s all that matters.

I’ll hope that VNP reopens before I go, but in the meantime, I continue to plan - and I’m glad that some parts of the park are still open.

I’m going to book my tour with Marylou today - can’t wait !

I’m so disappointed, but I think I’ll still be in good hands with Marylou; tours, even not including VNP, sound wonderful. I’m considering only doing Hilo, because the ship has an excursion that sounds like so much fun: Captain Zodiac raft/snorkel/dolphin tour.... has anyone ever done that ?

Thank you!

We did the Captain Zodiac tour a couple of years ago...one of our best tours ever!

Here is a link to a blog post and lots of photos I did about our excursion. I would book it again in a heartbeat!

http:// https://mysouvenirmemories.blogspot.com/2016/03/kona-hawaii-captain-zodiac-snorkel-tour.html?m=0

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Captain Zodiac tour a couple of years ago...one of our best tours ever!

Here is a link to a blog post and lots of photos I did about our excursion. I would book it again in a heartbeat!

https://mysouvenirmemories.blogspot.com/2016/03/kona-hawaii-captain-zodiac-snorkel-tour.html?m=0

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi AryMay

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! After I made this post, however, I decided that I can’t support Captain Zodiac as they appear to be one of the companies that willingly disturbs dolphins at rest. I’m so glad you had a great time, though!

We have a round trip out of San Pedro next March and we hope to stop in Hilo, however Mother Nature will determine if we do or not. I am hoping I can take the tour to the Lava Tree Natl Monument but it is also closed being so close to the Leilani Estates. Husband & I did this in 2014.

We have a round trip out of San Pedro next March and we hope to stop in Hilo, however Mother Nature will determine if we do or not. I am hoping I can take the tour to the Lava Tree Natl Monument but it is also closed being so close to the Leilani Estates. Husband & I did this in 2014.

I do hope VNP will be reopened by then - from what I’ve read, it’s going to take a lot of work for it to be in good enough condition to reopen. When it does, though, I’m sure it will be spectacular as ever....and safe.

The last time we visited VNP, I was amazed at the new steam vents that had opened up and this was several years ago. We didn't visit it in 2014 but highly recommended the daughter and husbands sister go see it. We did the Lava Tree Natl Park and coastal tour. I can understand why that is also closed being so close to the Estates. I also hope to return to the VNP as that is something to see. Enjoy your visit.:)

The last time we visited VNP, I was amazed at the new steam vents that had opened up and this was several years ago. We didn't visit it in 2014 but highly recommended the daughter and husbands sister go see it. We did the Lava Tree Natl Park and coastal tour. I can understand why that is also closed being so close to the Estates. I also hope to return to the VNP as that is something to see. Enjoy your visit.:)

Thank you - I’m going to love it !

We used MaryLou’s for both Hilo and Kona in 2016. in Hilo we had Marylou and there were 4 gentlemen in addition to my friend and I. We had a great day. The next day in Kona we had her husband Ken. When he met us we were the only 2 who had booked the day. Another family had emailed but never confirmed. We saw a couple who we had met on the ship and asked if they wanted to join us. We had a blast. Becuase there were only 4 of us we often conferred about places to stop. We did hit the highlights including the Cook Monument (from across the bay) and we stopped at Pu’uhonua o Honaunau National Monument and had a greta lunch. Both Marylou and Ken are very knowledgeable and will give you a great tour!:cool:

Hi AryMay

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! After I made this post, however, I decided that I can’t support Captain Zodiac as they appear to be one of the companies that willingly disturbs dolphins at rest. I’m so glad you had a great time, though!

I just wanted to share that we did see a bunch of spinner dolphins off in the distance when we were stopped to snorkel and our guide specifically told us that he could not take us any closer to them or he could get reported. They were far enough away that I didn't even try and take a photo.

The whale shark and short fin pilot whales that we did see close up were because they approached us! Seeing the whale shark was something I have always wanted to do and to have it circle our zodiac was incredible.

I just wanted to share that we did see a bunch of spinner dolphins off in the distance when we were stopped to snorkel and our guide specifically told us that he could not take us any closer to them or he could get reported. They were far enough away that I didn't even try and take a photo.

The whale shark and short fin pilot whales that we did see close up were because they approached us! Seeing the whale shark was something I have always wanted to do and to have it circle our zodiac was incredible.

Arya, thanks for that - that’s good to know.

You saw a whale shark? Wow!

Awesome report and photos - thanks !

I have booked Marylou for Kona as well as Hilo....and requested that I be able to swim at one of our stops. I think I’ll ultimately get more out of my vacation this way.

We used MaryLou’s for both Hilo and Kona in 2016. in Hilo we had Marylou and there were 4 gentlemen in addition to my friend and I. We had a great day. The next day in Kona we had her husband Ken. When he met us we were the only 2 who had booked the day. Another family had emailed but never confirmed. We saw a couple who we had met on the ship and asked if they wanted to join us. We had a blast. Becuase there were only 4 of us we often conferred about places to stop. We did hit the highlights including the Cook Monument (from across the bay) and we stopped at Pu’uhonua o Honaunau National Monument and had a greta lunch. Both Marylou and Ken are very knowledgeable and will give you a great tour!:cool:

NYcruiser, I’m from NY as well!

Thanks for sharing ! I’ve spoken to Marylou - what a doll she is. I’ve booked Kona as well, so now I’m in her hands for two days and I couldn’t be happier !