Opinions on flights from S. Florida to Honolulu for POA...

big al

Opinions: My wife & I will be going on the NCL POA for our 25th anniversary..we will be staying in South Florida visiting my brother when we leave. NO Miami please, only WPB or FLL airports... I will be using my Capital One pointsand would love to fly Premium Economy all the way, if not some of the way...can't swing business class, too $$ and won't have enough points.. I am considering ( only considering..) Jet Blue's "Even More Room" section up front which is not bad from FLL to LAX, then maybe Hawaiian Air or American to Honolulu...same on return flight...I PREFER Boeing 777's or Airbus 330's to Boeing 767's ( like on Delta), and NO 737's or 757'S from LAX- HON..I know Jet Blue flies ( I think ) Airbus 320-321's, but that's OK...would LOVE a wide body the whole way.. I also don't mind going thru Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc., but I would like one stop only to Honolulu. I am looking at AA from FLL-DWF then perhaps HA to Honolulu..I could take AA all the way, but have read that HA flights are nicer..would like to make this special..suggestions & thoughts would be great!!!

Big Al

Aloha Big Al,

You may wish to check American. They have a flight from FLL- HNL that makes 1 connection in DFW. The first leg (not that far)

is a 737. The second leg, (the long one) is a 777. it departs FLL at 7:40 am arrives in HNL at 2:23 pm. your layover time is 1hr 20 mins. I hope it works for you.

We did this cruise in Sept. of 2016 and we really enjoyed it.

Have a great anniversary.

Horseymike

Those are some pretty diverse criteria, and due to the way airline fleets operate ones that are at odds with one another.

Only way to get widebody the whole way would be on AA MIA-DFW-HNL, and if you pick the right flights. Delta do occasionally have widebody aircraft between FLL and ATL but that's far from a guarantee and schedule changes could affect your equipment.

I wouldn't put much weight behind HA being nicer, IMO, coach is coach is coach. The differences between different economy class products are marginal.

Also:

West Palm Beach = PBI

Dallas Fort Worth = DFW

Honolulu = HNL

...and I guess while we're at it....777s not 777's, 321s not 321's etc.

I have flown many times BDA-HNL via MIA and have looked at lots of ways of doing it. Finally settled on MIA-DFW-HNL on AA as best for me.

The first (shorter) leg might be a narrow body, but the DFW-HNL is currently a 772 and is quite comfortable.

I avoid flying via LAX to HNL because I don't want a 6 hr flight in a narrow body.

If you are thinking premium economy forget United through Houston. United does not have a real PE product. Their Economy Plus only gives you a few extra inches of leg room and nothing else. While I am not a fan of American, they do have a real PE product on their long haul flights.

Thanks for ALL your replies...looks like I am leaning towards AA from DFW to HNL...due to their better PE flights...BUT will still wait and see..thanks for the congrats, Horseymike....

Big Al

P.S.- I have 21, 432 miles on my Citi card for AA miles..they say you need 25, 000 for a free ticket..can I use the 25,000 miles to upgrade to a PE seat & pay the difference ( I'm sure Premium Economy is more than 25,000 pts..) ?

P.S.- I have 21, 432 miles on my Citi card for AA miles..they say you need 25, 000 for a free ticket..can I use the 25,000 miles to upgrade to a PE seat & pay the difference ( I'm sure Premium Economy is more than 25,000 pts..) ?

You won't be able to do that on American. There is no upgrading to PE nor is there an award category for PE. If you're redeeming miles you choose coach or business/first. The only way to get in PE is pay for it with cash.

You won't be able to do that on American. There is no upgrading to PE nor is there an award category for PE. If you're redeeming miles you choose coach or business/first. The only way to get in PE is pay for it with cash.

Yes, AA told me when I called them the other day..looks like I will be using Capital One miles all the way...

You want opinions. Here is mine: You are being too picky about the aircraft. Wide-body planes are for long haul flights so a flight from Florida to Texas does not need one. I cna understand you needing more legroom than me, but a smaller plane is to be expected for shorter flights. Of course, the second plane is likely to be a wide-body jet because Earth's biggest body of water will be right under it.