Cunard price increase on drinks and corkage?

Elephant1151

On another site someone has reported that alcohol prices onboard QV have increased and corkage up from $20 to $25 due the the drop in the £.

Is this correct. On QM2 last month the corkage was still a very fair $20.

I suspect that post that you saw was from someone who is confusing Spanish V.A.T which is added when in Spanish waters

we were recently on QV and the drinks prices had just been increased. This was the Med cruise 20th July to 3rd August.

There was also a new wine list in the Britannia Club restaurant, which the sommelier said had just been issued at the start of this cruise. He had not had sufficient time to review a couple of the new wines.

It appears that on the new list there are more wines priced at around $30-$40.

I am unable to advise on corkage as we never took our own wine to the restaurant. We enjoyed our bottles in our room or on the balcony.

Overall, we still spent more or less £100 ($130 approx) per day on a bottle of wine and a few drinks.

I can't speak to when the $25 corkage fee will be implemented if it hasn't been implemented already, but it sure seems that it is Cunard's intention to increase the corkage fee from $20 to $25.

Here is what the Cuanrd UK FAQ says about the corkage charge.

"Can I bring alcohol on board to consume in my cabin or in restaurants?

You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $25 (fee subject to change). Wine and champagne gifts purchased via the Cunard Gift Collection are exempt from the corkage fee, please show your gift card to your waiter."

And here is what the US Voyage Personaliser states.

"Alcohol Policy

Duty- and tax-free alcohol is available for purchase and will be delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in restaurants or bars, each bottle will be subjected to a $25 corkage fee. This fee is subject to change. Guests who are under 18 years of age are not permitted to purchase or consume alcohol on board. In U.S. waters, Cunard abides by the U.S. legal drinking age of 21 years.

Any wines purchased via the Little Luxuries Collection are not subject to the on board $25 corkage fee."

Interestingly, the US "Cunard Line Passage Contract" has not been updated yet, although it does contain a "subject to change without notice" clause. Here is what that US contract states.

"A corkage fee of $20.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee."

We were on QV 20/7-3/8 and unfortunately had poor service from our sommelier (in fact we had 3 over the 2 week holiday). We heard rumours of an increase in corkage to $23 onboard so we asked our sommelier on the last evening as we are sailing again in November and were considering purchasing our own wine in port. He said that shoreside had decided on an increase but he said it maybe $23 or possibly $25. It was on our return that I saw that the uk Cunard website had updated the cost to $25.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

the prices of the drinks and the wines and champagne was already very high

i think exception made for Oceania ( where you can tahe a package ) Cunard does practise the highest prices for drinks

Royal Caribbean has higher prices for drinks. Many cocktails are $12 or $13 now, depending on the ship. They bump up the prices to make their drink packages seem like a good deal.