Please think of your table mates

Summergee

We ask for a table of 6 as we enjoy the company of others at dinner. This normally works unless the other 4 are traveling together and don't intend eating in the MDR several evenings. This leaves us as a table for 2.

If you are with friends why not ask for a table of 8 then your companions still have company when you are dining elsewhere ?

we always ask for a table of 8-10, last year there were 5 of us and they put us on a table for six set up for 5. There are 4 of us going this year and have again asked for a table size 8-10, hopefully will get one this year as we are an even number.

We ask for a table of 6 as we enjoy the company of others at dinner. This normally works unless the other 4 are traveling together and don't intend eating in the MDR several evenings. This leaves us as a table for 2.

If you are with friends why not ask for a table of 8 then your companions still have company when you are dining elsewhere ?

Crikey, why should I? There have been times when they has just been two of us on the table but so what? A couple of weeks ago during our Fiords cruise at the height of World Cup fever, there were tables in the MDR with one person on, including my husband.

In my experience, many people travelling as a group of four - request a table for four.

I've known of several examples of this over the years.

It is also what I've done in the past.

My polite suggestion, to all passengers sharing tables (for dinner) in Britannia grade; if you know you'll be dining elsewhere one evening, please have the courtesy to mention it the evening previous so that your table mates are not waiting for you to join the table before ordering. Thank you.

Edited by pepperrn

On my last time on the QM2 I had requested and was seated at a table for 8. There was only three of us at the table and most nights only two of us showed up and one night I was there by myself but it did not bother me at all. But everyone is different. I am on board again in Nov. having requested a table for 8 again.

I wish Cunard had Any Time Dining, as well as traditional.
Cunard do this, it is called "The Grills" (Princess and Queens) and "Britannia Club".

Passengers choose which grade (Britannia, Britannia Club, Princess, Queens) when making their booking.

You can choose if you want to dine with a large table or just by yourselves. ...
With Cunard any passenger (regardless of Britannia, Club, Princess or Queens) can do this (choose the size of table) for breakfast or lunch by simply using the Britannia Restaurant for one or both meals.

The alternative restaurants also allow any passenger to choose the "size" of table.

However, many Club and Grill passengers will normally use their usual restaurants and their usual tables.

It is only for evening dinner that you have an assigned table (unless you choose to dine in one of the "alternative" restaurants, the buffet, or in your cabin via room service).

The traditional/assigned table system allows your table stewards to get to know your preferences (and for you to get to know them).

Another benefit is only having to make introductions to your fellow table-mates once, explain why you took this particular trip once, explain your past cruising history once, list which lines you've sailed with once ... etc

Best wishes and happy sailings to you.

Edited by pepperrn

If I choose a balcony cabin ( I did that 3weeks ago ) on Queen Elizabeth, I was assigned the Britannia Restaurant and either early or late sitting. I did not choose the Grills.

I would like to have Anytime Dining. I was asked to fill out a survey a week ago about dining, I got the impression that Cunard are at last listening to people who want this type of dining.

Cheers

Cunard do this, it is called "The Grills" (Princess and Queens) and "Britannia Club".

Passengers choose which grade (Britannia, Britannia Club, Princess, Queens) when making their booking.

This must be one of the most unhelpful comments for a while. Are you really suggesting that a sensible response to a person's desire for AnyTime Dining is that they should pay twice, three times or more for their cruise to get that option? Really?

Some people like fixed; others like AnyTime, and many cruise lines offer a choice. The world would not end if Cunard did likewise.

Stuart

This must be one of the most unhelpful comments for a while. Are you really suggesting that a sensible response to a person's desire for AnyTime Dining is that they should pay twice, three times or more for their cruise to get that option? Really?

Some people like fixed; others like AnyTime, and many cruise lines offer a choice. The world would not end if Cunard did likewise.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, reasonable thinking at last.

Cheers

I'm with pepperrn. You know before you book that Cunard has fixed dining times in Britannia. If you don't like this either book a non Britannia restaurant grade cabin or go to a line that does anytime dining for every meal. Why book something you don't like when so many other options are available?

We have twice in the last 2 years been allocated (as requested) a table for 6 and found no other diners turning up at all. The first time we stayed in the hope someone would eventually appear. The second time we asked to change tables and were really lucky with our new table. We could see our original table from the new one and no one ever turned up there. Why ask for a table of 6 (or more) when you have no intention of turning up? It is such a shame for those left waiting.

Stuart

I'm with pepperrn. You know before you book that Cunard has fixed dining times in Britannia. If you don't like this either book a non Britannia restaurant grade cabin or go to a line that does anytime dining for every meal. Why book something you don't like when so many other options are available?

We have twice in the last 2 years been allocated (as requested) a table for 6 and found no other diners turning up at all. The first time we stayed in the hope someone would eventually appear. The second time we asked to change tables and were really lucky with our new table. We could see our original table from the new one and no one ever turned up there. Why ask for a table of 6 (or more) when you have no intention of turning up? It is such a shame for those left waiting.

That proves the point,they probably had the needle,wanting a 2 top and being allocated a 6.lol.

I like a standard balcony cabin and I also don’t want to book a non Britannia Restaurant cabin as I like this restaurant. I know before I book what the seating arrangements are so for the time being we will put up with either early or late sitting. I just would like Cunard to offer Anytime dining as well.

Things are changing, formal nights are not as formal etc.

I think we will probably see more in the future when Cunard try to attract a younger demographic.

Cheers

As a solo cruiser, I can relate :( I sure don't wish to dine by myself on vacation. What usually happens is I move to that table with all the great fun.

In June we did 2 seven day cruises b2b on QM2 and had a table for 6 (as we always do) on both legs. We had great table mates and when a couple was going to be absent it was always mentioned the night before or they found our waiter at lunch to let him know and pass on to the others.

While this was our first voyage with Cunard it is our 11th cruise overall. We started cruising in December 2015 so we are pretty new to all of it.

We have been incredibly lucky I guess as we have never experienced any of the problems posted here.

You can have anytime dining in a Britannia cabin; you just have to pay a little for alternative dining at the time of your choosing. Much less expensive than even Britannia Club.
On the QE,that would be French food every night,I don't think so.

I don't see the attraction of anytime dining on Cunard. The whole experience of everyone assembling in the bars at around the same time prior to the two seatings and then going into the dining room at the same time in their formal wear seems to me part of the elegance Of the Cunard experience. I also wonder if anytime dining means food sits around in the kitchen for longer. I agree though that it is important to be considerate to your table mates when there are fixed arrangements.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Forums mobile app