What the crepe?!

Pier290

Cruisers are an interesting lot (we are part of that crowd) and being observant can be eye opening. The Crepe thing on MSC is just one example. On long HAL cruises where nearly all the passengers are financially in good shape you will often find folks waiting in a long queue to simply get a bowel of ordinary ice cream. or....we think one of the strangest things is how folks act regarding "lobster night." Many cruise lines sometimes serve warm water lobster tails...and passengers go crazy. They are usually overcooked, too salty, and a very poor example of decent lobster. We have a local diner that serves better warm water lobster tails and charge $19.95 for a platter that includes 2...plus sides :). Yet folks will shell out thousands of dollars for a cruise and then go crazy over those sub-standard bugs.

By the way, for anyone who cruises out of Port Everglades (or is staying at a local motel) you can get real lobster at a cafe/restaurant called Kelly's Landing. Its a short walk from the popular Embassy Suites (17th St) and this restaurant is owned by a guy who brings New England to South Florida. They have real Maine Lobster (very inexpensive) plus a world-class Chowder. We always get great lobster when we cruise out of that port...but it happens the night before we board the ship :).

Hank

Good One Hank,

Kelly's Landing is owned by a man from Mass. Weymouth, Ma. I believe. He flies his fish in every day and it is just as fresh as can be. The restaurant is a pub-like place on the backside of the Publix mall. Everything they serve is good...including the burgers. It is the perfect place to go before your cruise. I hate going to fancy restaurants before a cruise...this is perfect. A bowl of that great chowder and a draft beer...perfect. They even have real fried clams...and they are excellent!

Try the Fisherman's Platter...will easily feed two people!!

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

Not much into crepes or souffles. TO me, a crepe is thin, small pancake and I've said if you want to make an easy souffle, prepare a cake mix, bake it half way and serve hot raw cake dough. As far as cruise ship lobsters....being from the northeast a Caribbean lobster (which is what they serve) is NOTHING like a Maine lobster. It's been years that we haven't ordered lobster on "lobster night". But......I guess for some folks lobster and crepes on a cruise are important to them.

Not much into crepes or souffles. TO me, a crepe is thin, small pancake and I've said if you want to make an easy souffle, prepare a cake mix, bake it half way and serve hot raw cake dough. As far as cruise ship lobsters....being from the northeast a Caribbean lobster (which is what they serve) is NOTHING like a Maine lobster. It's been years that we haven't ordered lobster on "lobster night". But......I guess for some folks lobster and crepes on a cruise are important to them.

My friend you are confusing souffle with molten cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People will go crazy if their champagne isn't in their suite....even if it's actually $3 sparkling wine from Walgreens.

I didn't realize that the free sparkling wine was such a good brand :)

Hank

Here's the deal. For some people that enjoy a favorite food(s) that do t have the capability to make on their own or afford or live in an area were they are available, like us who live in a small town. Having something like a crepe on the only vacation we have every 12-18 months is important. We can't afford to eat out and this vacation is when we can afford to have our favorite things like crepes, gelato, lobster and other luxury type items we don't find at home and could never afford to buy out but once in a great moon. So before you make fun of people for getting excited about crepes or lobster remember not all of us can afford to eat this stuff out and take our vacation and if we get the all n one experience it makes us excited.

Here's the deal. For some people that enjoy a favorite food(s) that do t have the capability to make on their own or afford or live in an area were they are available, like us who live in a small town. Having something like a crepe on the only vacation we have every 12-18 months is important. We can't afford to eat out and this vacation is when we can afford to have our favorite things like crepes, gelato, lobster and other luxury type items we don't find at home and could never afford to buy out but once in a great moon. So before you make fun of people for getting excited about crepes or lobster remember not all of us can afford to eat this stuff out and take our vacation and if we get the all n one experience it makes us excited.

I get what you are saying. It is the emotional satisfaction too.

IMHO, some foods on a cruise just become "go-to" foods. On NCL

it was pretzel bread, chocolate croissants in the Haven and chilled fruit soup. Sure, I can buy the PB and CC at whole foods and as a trained chef, (although I do not use it professionally), I can make any flavor of CFS I want, but being on a cruise these foods hold nostslgic meaning to me.

I get what you are saying. It is the emotional satisfaction too.

IMHO, some foods on a cruise just become "go-to" foods. On NCL

it was pretzel bread, chocolate croissants in the Haven and chilled fruit soup. Sure, I can buy the PB and CC at whole foods and as a trained chef, (although I do not use it professionally), I can make any flavor of CFS I want, but being on a cruise these foods hold nostslgic meaning to me.

Well said I just think some people are getting over critical on what makes other people happy. For us we may be able to get food that's better on land but we never would because we live in a small mountain town in Colorado and could never afford it either. So I feel like other people are lifting their noses at us when we get excited that there is lobster onboard for no extra charge and the drink package we upgraded to includes a bonus CREPES!. Not only do we get to enjoy some adult beverages that we don't have to make or cleanup from but we get gelato and crepes! Heck ya, so that's the big deal because at home we don't get that and can't afford it but on the Vacation we saved up for it's included.

Well said I just think some people are getting over critical on what makes other people happy. For us we may be able to get food that's better on land but we never would because we live in a small mountain town in Colorado and could never afford it either. So I feel like other people are lifting their noses at us when we get excited that there is lobster onboard for no extra charge and the drink package we upgraded to includes a bonus CREPES!. Not only do we get to enjoy some adult beverages that we don't have to make or cleanup from but we get gelato and crepes! Heck ya, so that's the big deal because at home we don't get that and can't afford it but on the Vacation we saved up for it's included.

It is YOUR vacation. Make it what you want it to be!

The thing about crepes is that they are quite easy to make at home. I can even be done with a regular omelet pan and a little practice. Crepe batter only costs pennys per crepe so budget should not be a factor. Finding good gelato can be a challenge so we gobble it up wherever we find the stuff.

Hank

The thing about crepes is that they are quite easy to make at home. I can even be done with a regular omelet pan and a little practice. Crepe batter only costs pennys per crepe so budget should not be a factor. Finding good gelato can be a challenge so we gobble it up wherever we find the stuff.

Hank

Again this takes TIME and SKILL that many may not have. It goes back to the not having to do it and clean it because you want to actually be on vacation. Its about enjoying something that you don't get to enjoy at home