Convince me, please.....

Lovincruisin1321

I am primarily a Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cruiser...

My friend swears by MSC, so I was intrigued and started to research itineraries.

First impression?

Awful customer service on phone. The prompts specifically say, "for website support". Apparently, that is not offered and they didn't know how to navigate their own website. This happened with six different representatives

It scared me away.

I have been peeking at Princess and even going to try Holland in December. My husband and I like fine dining, fun/good bartenders, classy lounges, etc...

So, what would convince me to take a memorable MSC cruise?

We fell into the same category. But had a MSC Cruise last month. The Magnifica is a lovely ship and was clean an tidy. Our balcony cabin was smaller than we have experienced before on Celebrity and RCCI.

The most important thing to say is that the bar service and waiter service at meals was shockingly bad. The choice in the main dining room was very limited compared with RCCI and Celebrity. We found we waited ages round the pool for drinks. The service at the pool bar wasn't much better. On one notable occassion we asked 3 different members of wait staff for a drink all three of whom said they would come back and didn't. Hubby then went to the bar and waited half an hour to be served.

So although its cheaper, you get what you pay for. We would not book an MSC again if it was just the two of us. However, we went with a big group of dancers and had a good time. So would book again to go with our friends.

My friend swears by MSC, so I was intrigued and started to research itineraries.

First impression?

Awful customer service on phone. The prompts specifically say, "for website support". Apparently, that is not offered and they didn't know how to navigate their own website. This happened with six different representatives

It scared me away.

I have been peeking at Princess and even going to try Holland in December. My husband and I like fine dining, fun/good bartenders, classy lounges, etc...

All of the other positive threads on here about MSC.

We fell into the same category. But had a MSC Cruise last month. The Magnifica is a lovely ship and was clean an tidy. Our balcony cabin was smaller than we have experienced before on Celebrity and RCCI.

The most important thing to say is that the bar service and waiter service at meals was shockingly bad. The choice in the main dining room was very limited compared with RCCI and Celebrity. We found we waited ages round the pool for drinks. The service at the pool bar wasn't much better. On one notable occassion we asked 3 different members of wait staff for a drink all three of whom said they would come back and didn't. Hubby then went to the bar and waited half an hour to be served.

So although its cheaper, you get what you pay for. We would not book an MSC again if it was just the two of us. However, we went with a big group of dancers and had a good time. So would book again to go with our friends.

Thanks for the feedback. My instincts say, "Look elsewhere" Hmmmmm.....

Thanks for the feedback. My instincts say, "Look elsewhere" Hmmmmm.....

We embark on Saturday for our first MSC cruise on the Seaside. We wanted to get a taste of MSC prior to April 2019, as we have a Med cruise on MSC at that time. I will attempt to let you know what we think of the cruise line when we have completed the Seaside cruise , maybe sooner depending on internet service on the ship. We have the Bella experience , balcony, but did upgrade to the deluxe drink package, so my comments will be reflective of one of the least expensive price points on the ship. Two days and can't wait!!

We embark on Saturday for our first MSC cruise on the Seaside. We wanted to get a taste of MSC prior to April 2019, as we have a Med cruise on MSC at that time. I will attempt to let you know what we think of the cruise line when we have completed the Seaside cruise , maybe sooner depending on internet service on the ship. We have the Bella experience , balcony, but did upgrade to the deluxe drink package, so my comments will be reflective of one of the least expensive price points on the ship. Two days and can't wait!!

Thanks. I appreciate your effort and feedback!

I love MSC, and am going for the second time in November. I didn't have to be convinced the first time. I just booke it based on price fr what we were getting, and my expectations were exceded. If you have to be convinced, then stay where you are comfortable instead of trying something else. By the way, other than an occasional long wait on the phone, I haven't run into anyone who didn't know what they were talking about. Happy sailing whatever you do.

Last year we did a cruise on the Princess " Caribbean Princess" in early Jan, two weeks later we did a cruise on the MSC "Divina". Both 10 days, both to the Caribbean. We are "elite" on Princess and MSC matched our status. We had a suite on Princess and a standard balcony cabin on MSC. On MSC the cabin comparable, the balcony was WAY larger and MSC was a good bit less $$$$$. MDR meals were comparable. Buffet on MSC was better, entertainment on MSC was MUCH better, pool area(s) nicer and much less congested on MSC. There are 3 pools on the Divina and one is under a retractable glass roof, so if the weather is inclement, there's still a pool to enjoy. Embarkation better on MSC, disembarking much better on Princess. I don't know if sailing on Princess out of Ft Lauderdale and MSC out of Miami made a difference in that. Better bar prices on MSC, more spacious layout and better "flow" in public rooms on MSC. THe M&G and repeaters party on MSC was much, much nicer. We've already booked for Jan 2019 B2B on the Divina.

As others say.... to be convinced shows no commitment which means your glass is already half empty.

I just signed on to this site for the same reason as OP. We're Elite + on Celebrity and perhaps looking for a change. If you haven't yet experienced the line, why would you say because you ask for feedback it shows no commitment. How can you commit to something you haven't yet experienced? The OP is only asking for feedback from those who have sailed MSC, as am I. Thanks to all those with either positive or negative experiences, not cutting remarks...helps to make a decision.

I just signed on to this site for the same reason as OP. We're Elite + on Celebrity and perhaps looking for a change. If you haven't yet experienced the line, why would you say because you ask for feedback it shows no commitment. How can you commit to something you haven't yet experienced? The OP is only asking for feedback from those who have sailed MSC, as am I. Thanks to all those with either positive or negative experiences, not cutting remarks...helps to make a decision.

Greetings from 204 km away!

I said "farewell" to Celebrity 5 years ago with about 250 nights on-board and said "never again". (of course, I'm also saying "I'm baaa-ack" twice next year but that's another story...)

Any large mass market line - Celebrity, RCI, MSC et al will generally have crowded pool decks, lots of people and mediocre food. Most will do something better than the other but there's only so much that they can spend in total per passenger.

Where MSC excels is providing the best value for entry-level luxury/high premium cruising in the Yacht Club. For a little more than a balcony cabin on Celebrity, you will get a suite similar in size to an M-Class Sky Suite, deluxe beverage package with included minibar, a private suite lounge, dining room and sun deck with outdoor restaurant and bar. It leaves the standard Celebrity experience in the dust. You won't know what to do with yourself when you don't spend hours cursing and searching for a deck chair!

The majority of your fellow passengers will be European and the entertainment will be skewed towards non-verbal acts ie, no real comedians and less of a focus on hit-parade songs.

The ships' decors, for better or for worse (and generally better) are unique and different from Celebrity.

Again, the bang for buck is outstanding but .... it's now become extremely difficult to book YC Suites unless you're looking many months out.

Change is frequently good!

Greetings from 204 km away!

I said "farewell" to Celebrity 5 years ago with about 250 nights on-board and said "never again". (of course, I'm also saying "I'm baaa-ack" twice next year but that's another story...)

Any large mass market line - Celebrity, RCI, MSC et al will generally have crowded pool decks, lots of people and mediocre food. Most will do something better than the other but there's only so much that they can spend in total per passenger.

Where MSC excels is providing the best value for entry-level luxury/high premium cruising in the Yacht Club. For a little more than a balcony cabin on Celebrity, you will get a suite similar in size to an M-Class Sky Suite, deluxe beverage package with included minibar, a private suite lounge, dining room and sun deck with outdoor restaurant and bar. It leaves the standard Celebrity experience in the dust. You won't know what to do with yourself when you don't spend hours cursing and searching for a deck chair!

The majority of your fellow passengers will be European and the entertainment will be skewed towards non-verbal acts ie, no real comedians and less of a focus on hit-parade songs.

The ships' decors, for better or for worse (and generally better) are unique and different from Celebrity.

Again, the bang for buck is outstanding but .... it's now become extremely difficult to book YC Suites unless you're looking many months out.

Change is frequently good!

Thanks for that! Quite comprehensive opinions, the good and the not so good. Provides a little insight as to what we may/may not be looking for. We were looking at YC but sold out for our dates. What would a regular verandah and cabin be like? Smaller than Celebrity? I'm only doubtful because the balcony fare is almost half of Concierge Celebrity, and as some say, you get what you pay for; or could this be a loss leader in that once they have you, they count on you repeating the experience? BTW...would that be Ottawa?

Thanks for that! Quite comprehensive opinions, the good and the not so good. Provides a little insight as to what we may/may not be looking for. We were looking at YC but sold out for our dates. What would a regular verandah and cabin be like? Smaller than Celebrity? I'm only doubtful because the balcony fare is almost half of Concierge Celebrity, and as some say, you get what you pay for; or could this be a loss leader in that once they have you, they count on you repeating the experience? BTW...would that be Ottawa?

Sorry ... I've only sailed YC.....

If you got a balcony fare, you'd have to choose the appropriate "experience" that gets you all the perqs - I would likely recommend Aurea. Or, you can select a suite that comes with the Aurea experience ... likely a similar price to Celebrity.

Or ... just wait for the YC and keep checking daily for a cancellation!

Ps .... Toronto!

Sorry ... I've only sailed YC.....

If you got a balcony fare, you'd have to choose the appropriate "experience" that gets you all the perqs - I would likely recommend Aurea. Or, you can select a suite that comes with the Aurea experience ... likely a similar price to Celebrity.

Or ... just wait for the YC and keep checking daily for a cancellation!

Ps .... Toronto!

Thanks, will keep checking...and watch the price climb...LOL. BTW...drive to Oakville area often...born in Toronto...never think of it being 200+ miles away.

Good general cruise experience is always welcome especially when talking to newbies. Your contractor comment made me laugh...I know where you are coming from...lol.

I thought “convince me” was a sly way of soliciting more responses...lol. I can understand the OP’s trepidation and the same from the other newbies who appear here with questions. MSC is a new product in the Caribbean and a lot of the comments would give any novice cruiser pause for concern. Yes...they will keep asking the same questions until more reviews and information is disseminated. Yes...we will be here to patiently answer them...:')

And I am in that same situation. Excited to be trying something new. But I easily talked myself into it no convincing necessary. Wink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Royal phone reps AND IT issues are just as bad. Head over to the RCL forum. I've taken 6 RCL, 2 DCL, 1 X and 1 MSC (Divina) cruise. Divina was not Disney but it topped RCL and X. The food was much better and if you like good wine, pizza, and gelato.....you will be in for a treat. I had no issue with bar service at all. I was a woman in a bikini so I am not sure if that played into it? lol

Hi oceangoer2,

A few notes.

YC on different ships is different and has different value for money.

What ship do you have in mind? Devina 12 day

What Celebrity ship do you compare? Any Solstice class

Balconies on the Fantasia class are generally smaller (vs Solstice), some are super small, but some are larger, some are super large.

"You get what you pay for" is one of the most misleading mantras in cruising.

Know what you are paying for - this is what works in cruising. Includes Bvg Pkg (yes... trying to find out what I'm paying for...LOL)

MSC Fantasia ships (Splendida, Divina, Preziosa): overall experience is closest to Celebrity Reflection.

Food & Service: much better on Celebrity

Entertainment: MSC wins with a great margin

Pools: MSC wins

Sun decks: close overall

Cabins: Fantasia-class feature more spacious standard cabins Aft 9260 Fantastica

Balconies: totally depends on location Aft 9260 - any recommendation as to larger ones?

Public rooms: comparable

Crowds: Reflection is the most crowded Celebrity ship (125,366 GT / 3,046 pax), thus closest to MSC (Preziosa 139,072 GT / 3,502 pax)

Although (objectively) Reflection's rating is slightly higher, I (subjectively) would prefer MSC Fantasia-class if the itinerary and price are the same.

Other Solstice ships would win on condition that the price difference is reasonable.

What do I call reasonable?

Let's say, "from $550" on the Eclipse vs "from $400" for MSC for the same 7-day Caribbean itinerary is a maximum for a reasonable difference (Eclipse wins).

MSC major drawbacks: poor food and class segregation.

If these two issues are not critical for you, don't think twice, Just book and go!

YC product is much better on the Seaside class. This experience is close to 4.5* that is very high.

Happy cruising!

Thanks so much for your help. Tried to fill in some blanks, so any experience with the cabin choice is appreciated. Except for the 'dining/food' aspect, it seems MSC would be the better option. :)

First impression?

It scared me away.

nothing will convince you.

We had a Bella balcony, friend had fantastica experience. We paid service for breakfast in our room once (€3.50). Somewhat cheaper than the added cost of the fantastica experience. Not sure that it's worth paying the extra.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

Assuming you saw your friends' cabin, how did Fantastica compare with Bella? Was it bigger? Larger balcony? More furniture?

I have only been in B1 (Bella) staterooms on MSC, but it is my impression from reading other board posts that the difference is fairly substantial. Of course, that difference may not be worth the extra cost. Although they were the smallest cabins I have ever had, the B1s had everything I needed.

Assuming you saw your friends' cabin, how did Fantastica compare with Bella? Was it bigger? Larger balcony? More furniture?

I have only been in B1 (Bella) staterooms on MSC, but it is my impression from reading other board posts that the difference is fairly substantial. Of course, that difference may not be worth the extra cost. Although they were the smallest cabins I have ever had, the B1s had everything I needed.

It was exactly the same shape size and furniture, one floor up. We were aft, they were forward.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

The cabins are the same, Bella or Fantastica. The difference comes in that one area aft of the atrium where they bumped it out to add interior cabins, and shrank the balcony cabins to accommodate them. The insides are smaller than other insides. On deck 8, the OV cabins are smaller. Decks 9-11 those balconies are Bella, but on deck 12-13 those same small balcony cabins are Fantastica. It's just location. EM